Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: MFD or Canon 5D MkII?  (Read 15394 times)

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 07:54:38 pm »

For what it's worth, if you look at the Annie photo shoot videos on Vanity Fair, you'll see that she uses a Mamiya RZ for a lot of the shots. I think she goes back and forth between the two.

I shoot MFDB because it helps me bring my vision of the world to life. I don't use it for everything and I'm happy to pick up small format when ever I need to. A crappy concept shot in focus, with lots of megapixels and expensive lighting is gonna result in a crappy photo. The true value in photography lies in the idea. That's the most important thing.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Whatever works for you works for you and that's what you should do.

Also if you just like cameras and can afford it, buy them, because it's nice to have new things.

Still, every Photokina there is all of this buzz about new equipment and some more interesting than others, though in the end, it's still more about the photograph than the camera.

I see it all the time, photographers trying to work their way up and thinking they need a bigger camera to do it, then someone shows Annie or someone else shooting a Canon and then the reply is yea, but she has better retouching, better crew,  or better styling or better subjects.

All of this is true, but if your trying to make your mark in any form of professional photography it would probably be a wiser investment to have better retouching, better styling, better crew, better subjects.

I think were at the top of the arms race and someone is finally going to give in.  Maybe Hasselblad has started it with their price cut, maybe Canon took it to the nuclear option level with the $3,000 5d, but as of today nobody I work for cares about the pixel count.

In fact the last two clients I've worked with were surprised I chose digital over film.

There is a huge list of what my clients care about, but pixels, well it's just a given than nearly any professional digital camera will produce a good result.

Regardless, I'm making no judgement and honestly  respect whatever tools anyone wants to use as long as they do it well and I can promise you that anyone's current or future clients share the same thought.

JR

Graham Mitchell

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 08:42:13 pm »

I am living with it now. I shoot a Canon 5D as my current main camera.

I have never found it slow for the type of shooting I do. In fact, I have never really found my Mamiya AFDII slow when I shoot with it.  I am a methodical shooter.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224984\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Being methodical is irrelevant. If you are balancing flash with ambient light you will need better flash sync than this. Of course that won't affect landscape shooters or anyone else shooting with natural light only, but I'd expect most fashion shooters to need fast flash sync.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:42:33 pm by foto-z »

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 08:46:55 pm »

Being methodical is irrelevant. If you are balancing flash with ambient light you will need better flash sync than this. Of course that won't affect landscape shooters or anyone else shooting with natural light only, but I'd expect most fashion shooters to need fast flash sync.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My pocket wizards that control my lights can sync only at 1/200 with my 5D.

Are you saying I should get something better?
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Alex MacPherson

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 08:49:04 pm »

All of this is true, but if your trying to make your mark in any form of professional photography it would probably be a wiser investment to have better retouching, better styling, better crew, better subjects.
JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A very true statement in the fashion industry. Styling is critical... and for beauty photography, the shot is only as good as the subject. (all other things being equal)

Good advice ... thanks!
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Graham Mitchell

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 09:21:02 pm »

Are you saying I should get something better?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225072\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Only if you need it  It sounds as though you are not mixing sunshine and flash much (if at all). If you are not having any problems, please disregard my post.

Alex MacPherson

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2008, 09:27:10 pm »

Only if you need it  It sounds as though you are not mixing sunshine and flash much (if at all). If you are not having any problems, please disregard my post.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I did do that last week and it was a bit of struggle . So you do have a point  
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

Brady

• http://www.bradyfontenot.com
MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:30 pm »

Being methodical is irrelevant. If you are balancing flash with ambient light you will need better flash sync than this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

not saying a higher sync isn't welcome sometimes but, "need" is relative.  it's not as useless as you are making it out to be....1/200 is decent enough in majority of situations(unless u need to freeze action)...and it really depends on what time of day you're shooting and if you're trying to completely overpower the sun or just throw in some fill w/ the strobe.....  you can still easily overpower sun w/ 1/200 sync as long as you have enough power going through your strobes......try a bi-tube w/ 2 7b's if you need to be 3 stops under ambient at noon......and also, bein' able to go to ISO 50 on the 5d pretty much gets you back to where you'd be w/ 1/500 or 1/400 sync and iso 100 film.

lisa_r

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2008, 11:43:47 pm »

TMARK

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2008, 12:57:58 am »

Laforet's stills are up:
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?ac...&articleID=2128
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know they are jpegs but the samples I saw in a studio, also jpegs, were better, mainly due to better lighting and being shot at base ISO 100.  At first I thought they didn't look all that great, but realized they were shot at HIGH ISO illuminated by a Pro 7b's modeling light in a beauty dish, set up for lighting the movie.  Laforet's stills were shot at what, 1600?  See the highlights blowing on the woman's face in the woman in the jewel tone dress? (Cobblestones).  See how they are blowing, w/o any harsh red or green transitions?  At high iso? These look fine for high iso.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:54:21 pm by TMARK »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2008, 12:49:13 pm »

dear Samuel,

We (Sinar) have a pretty clear picture of this partnership with Leaf. It has certainly nothing to do with being ashamed with the products we have and sell, but with improving our products (from both companies) by sharing our knowledge and experience of the past 16 years.

Don't forget that Leaf and Sinar have been partners for a long time at the begining, when digital imaging started(1992), being the pioneers of high-end digital, developing and introducing the first high-end digital back ever, then improving and presenting many new technologies and features for many following years (live-video & multi-shot technology, among others).

Leaf and Sinar (with Jenoptik and F&H) have partnered again for the Hy6/AFi project, very closely, sharing again experience and knowledge as well as market feedback to create a unique MF camera, acclaimed  by all taking it in their hands.

And again today, these 2 companies have decided to join their strength and share ideas, experience and knowledge, not to make us feel better but to improve our products and to give the best possible tools and solutions to photographers.

If you feel that others have a better marketing strategy and a clear picture of what they are doing, that's aboslutely your right and possibly you are right. But don't imply that other companies are stupid or do not know what they are doing and why they are doing it.

It is kind of "funny": this evening I came back from Cologne to Schaffhausen (Sinar's place). On our way to Sinar my colleague and me have stopped at the home of late Mr. Carl Koch, the founder of Sinar and creator of the camera of the same name, to bring back something belonging to his grandson. It made me think back and feel a bit nostalgic. Exactly 60 years have passed since this genius man has created his first camera. Many things have happened since then, but his legacy is still here with us. One of his 2 grandsons is still working for this company, because he believes in and loves what his grandfather has done and wishes, like all employees there, to continue what has been started 60 years ago. So do I and so am I proud to be part of this company. The goal was and is always the same, to be at the forefront with the quality of our services to the photographers, being it independently or with partners. That's the "modern" times and there is nothing wrong with it, as long as one lives and does it with the necessary passion.

Best regards,
Thierry

2.- What is this Leaf/Sinar partnership? Don't they believe their last announcements are good enough? Whay does Sinar need a rotating sensor when they have a revolving adapter that was a clear step forward Leaf? This announcement just pull me back...

/Samuel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224847\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:50:21 pm by thsinar »
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Snook

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2008, 02:37:29 pm »

Don't buy anything.

There's some sh!t going down pretty soon, by the end of the year.  RED is announcing the "specs" of their DSMC by the end of 2008, and Nikon might have a new product or two announced in November.  Maybe Canon with something new in February. 

I'm looking for a big jump from my current cameras.  As nice as the 5DII looks, I'm still waiting for something a little more special.  Plus, I'm sure if I put myself on a 5DII waiting list, I won't get the damn thing until the middle of 2009!

I'm not buying a damn thing.  Plus I still make money with the Canon 20D.  Isn't that hilarious?... no.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is ALWAYS going to be the "Next" best great camera coming out.. Chasing and or waiting for the next best thing is crazy, IMHO..:+}

Snook

Snook

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2008, 02:54:07 pm »

Laforet's stills are up:
http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?ac...&articleID=2128
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It says they are in camera jpegs with no post work.??
Sorry, but are those just shot's he popped off, or are they taken from the frames of video??
I thought they were supposed to post some images taken from the ~Video?
Correct me if I am wrong and if they are taken from the frames of the video.. all I can says is WOW even at 1600 asa low jpegs they look pretty darn good and would work for most productions I do??
Thanks for any clarfication,
Snook

samuel_js

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 03:49:19 pm »

dear Samuel,

If you feel that others have a better marketing strategy and a clear picture of what they are doing, that's aboslutely your right and possibly you are right. But don't imply that other companies are stupid or do not know what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225549\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry, It's not my intention to imply anything like that but:
As you know I'll upgrade my hasselblad soon, I talked to my dealer here in Sweden today. He's now back from Germany...

I'm considering  a Hasselblad HD3II, a PhaseOne P30 with Phase One camera, or a Leaf/Sinar.

He know's I've owned Hassi H, V, Mamiya 645, Contax 645 and Rollei 6008, and even if I've owned them already I'd like to test them side by side.

Do they have Hasselblad HD3II ready to test/buy? YES.
Do they have a PhaseOne camera with back ready to test/ buy? YES

Are they dealers for Leaf and Sinar? YES
Do they have a HY6 or AFi ready to test/ BUY? NO

So you tell me... What do I do?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:57:26 pm by samuel_js »

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2008, 04:03:18 pm »

Samuel,

I have been, seen and spoken with Niklas (Sinar's dealer) for nearly a week: they do have a Hy6, for demo and to sell.

Give him a call on my behalf, or then I can contact him for you, if you prefer.

Best regards,
Thierry

Are they dealers for Leaf and Sinar? YES
Do they have a HY6 or AFi ready to test/ BUY? NO

So you tell me... What do I do?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

samuel_js

MFD or Canon 5D MkII?
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2008, 04:51:13 pm »

Samuel,

I have been, seen and spoken with Niklas (Sinar's dealer) for nearly a week: they do have a Hy6, for demo and to sell.

Give him a call on my behalf, or then I can contact him for you, if you prefer.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225601\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Thierry,
They will come with prices this week. Will see. (it wasn't Niklas the one I talked to this time)

/Samuel
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up