Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vincent Laforet´s with 5D MarkII  (Read 10685 times)

vertigoestudio

• http://www.vertigoestudio.com
Vincent Laforet´s with 5D MarkII
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:15:39 pm »

amazing

Amazingggggggg!!!!!

Raphael

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 05:05:48 pm »

amazing

Amazingggggggg!!!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224038\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wow.. can't wait... and what a showcase for Canon.... thanks for the link!

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:36:03 pm »

Wow indeed - that was shockingly good visuals for a small handheld camera.

But this worries me for two reasons:

1. Photographers will think they can produce similar results, and be thoroughly disappointed when they realize how involved, expensive and time-consuming shooting and editing video is.
2. The net will be inundated with pseudo-artistic crap like this, done by photographers who have an eye for visuals but can't turn even a simple 2-minute boy-meets-girl story into a coherent whole.

Slough

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 06:10:54 am »

The video is irritatingly arty farty IMO (reminds me of Japanese comic books) but it does show the camera to have remarkable video capability. I could see people buying it as much for the video as for stills ability.

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:25:00 am »

The quality is nice indeed.
The whole "video capability in new D-slrs", is the beginning of a new era in the photographic world in my opinion. As digital imaging evolves continuously, the distances between what we knew up to now as photography, videography etc, will become smaller and smaller. Maybe, (and I know many of us are scared under this thought), there will be no such thing as professional photography in many aspects and parts of the market, in the future. There are demands from companies that will benefit from such turn and that mix-up will affect many professionals. So I guess there will be those who are willing to learn, invest and finally provide videos and editing along with their stills and those who will not. The "older" fashion ones. Like it happened with film. I know many old photographers who decided not to go digital and some survived till they retired, but many went out of business. For once again we will witness a mix up that will bring good and bad things at the same time. Videographers will try to get into photography and vise versa. The question is, are you going to get into that?
Me as a young photographer (31) who is trying to survive in this confusing and meshed up market of Eastern Europe, is not really willing to try it, but survival comes fist, so I guess if I have to... I already have many clients who often ask me if I could provide them with video as well.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:50:59 am »

Sorry, he lost me with the sunglasses at night thing..  

Very impress however with what the camera can do..

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 05:16:42 pm »

Sorry, he lost me with the sunglasses at night thing..  

Very impress however with what the camera can do..
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it is a reference / homage to Corey Hart's tune!  

[a href=\"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses_at_Night]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunglasses_at_Night[/url]

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  

RobertJ

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 05:17:53 pm »

1. Photographers will think they can produce similar results, and be thoroughly disappointed when they realize how involved, expensive and time-consuming shooting and editing video is.
2. The net will be inundated with pseudo-artistic crap like this, done by photographers who have an eye for visuals but can't turn even a simple 2-minute boy-meets-girl story into a coherent whole.

1. I agree, but only some people will think they're automatically filmmakers because of the 5DII and it's DOF control, and I trust that most people know how difficult it can be to make a quality production/film.

2. Yes, I forsee A LOT of beautiful cinematography with music in the background, and nothing else.  But in the hands of a photographer who is also a storyteller...

You're second point has held true for sometime, ever since regular camcorders came out with HD or 24P recording, and 35mm adapters with the ground glass (Panasonic DVX, etc).  A huge boom of digital filmmaking was unleashed, and 90 percent of "feature films" shot this way have been pretty bad, IMO.  Most were beyond bad.  Even some of the big productions that spend significant money making a "film" end up with less than desireable results.  I find that most amateur DPs who are shooting digital don't understand lighting, and it just looks BAD.

You can have HD and 24P, a nice expensive 35mm adapter on a prosumer camcorder, some decent actors, and good lighting, but if you don't have a script, well, you got nothin'!  People say, "well that's been true ever since people started making motion pictures."  Well, I think it's even more significant with digital.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:24:52 pm by T-1000 »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »

1. I agree, but only some people will think they're automatically filmmakers because of the 5DII and it's DOF control, and I trust that most people know how difficult it can be to make a quality production/film.

2. Yes, I forsee A LOT of beautiful cinematography with music in the background, and nothing else.  But in the hands of a photographer who is also a storyteller...

You're second point has held true for sometime, ever since regular camcorders came out with HD or 24P recording, and 35mm adapters with the ground glass (Panasonic DVX, etc).  A huge boom of digital filmmaking was unleashed, and 90 percent of "feature films" shot this way have been pretty bad, IMO.  Most were beyond bad.  Even some of the big productions that spend significant money making a "film" end up with less than desireable results.  I find that most amateur DPs who are shooting digital don't understand lighting, and it just looks BAD.

You can have HD and 24P, a nice expensive 35mm adapter on a prosumer camcorder, some decent actors, and good lighting, but if you don't have a script, well, you got nothin'!  People say, "well that's been true ever since people started making motion pictures."  Well, I think it's even more significant with digital.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Couldn't agree more. What I think is the most important thing to note is that still photography and cinematography are very different artforms. Although both are visual mediums, the languages are as far apart as Chinese is from Italian. Knowing how to compose a still image doesn't translate easily into shooting a scene or even a shot.

But as they saying goes, 99% of everything is shit; I'm sure there are some true gems to come out of this convergence.

Slough

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 06:49:03 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Today we see hordes of photographers heading out to the well known sights to take pictures just like Ansel Adams et al, and coming back with pictures that are often little more than pale imitations. You can even buy books that tell you where to stand, and what lens to use. So what's new?

The very fact that it has shallow depth of field and low noise means people can shoot short sequences of a christening in a dimly lit church, or a college graduation, which will mean something to them.

timescapes

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 08:07:55 pm »

It will be another useful tool for cinematographers.  Adding a Cineform HDMI Recorder to a camera like this might give you beautiful 10bit 4:2:2 1080p footage (assuming there are no "restrictions" on the HDMI feed).  The sensor size is roughly the same as the legendary Vista Vision!

The main issues that need to be addressed are:

1) lack of compressed RAW, similar to REDCODE RAW

2) lack of overcranking

The form factor is obviously odd for shooting video.  But custom rigs will be made with matte boxes, follow focus, etc.  I'm wondering what type of signal could be grabbed from the HDMI feed or Liveview to work as a "viewfinder"?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 08:35:29 pm »

A huge boom of digital filmmaking was unleashed, and 90 percent of "feature films" shot this way have been pretty bad, IMO.  Most were beyond bad.
I think it was Theodore Sturgeon who said "90% of everything is crap" A generous percentage I'd have said. So why should films be an exception?

You can have HD and 24P, a nice expensive 35mm adapter on a prosumer camcorder, some decent actors, and good lighting, but if you don't have a script, well, you got nothin'!  People say, "well that's been true ever since people started making motion pictures."  Well, I think it's even more significant with digital.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Everything is subservient to the script/story, yet this is so rarely realised.
I don't think digital changes that. What is does change is the fact that you can make stuff with less money than before, imagination was always free.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:37:01 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

RobertJ

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 08:50:10 pm »

Sorry, I should have said that 90 percent of everything shot on FILM is crap as well (maybe 99.99?).  

I agree with the following statements:
It is easier to make a "film" with digital.
It is harder to make a film that is NOT crap with digital.
It is easier to make a film that IS crap with digital.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 10:33:01 pm »

Somehow I don't think camera bodies using video technology are going to change anything as much as people think. Still photography is an art form and people who want stills don't necessarily want video. For weddings, sure, you can give your clients some amateur video if they want it.

Could the video grabs get as good as still grabs? if so, then still cameras may be out completely, since who wouldn't want a 30FPS camera?

Hmmm a strange time.

geotzo

• http://www.georgetzortzis.com
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 03:55:07 am »

Somehow I don't think camera bodies using video technology are going to change anything as much as people think. Still photography is an art form and people who want stills don't necessarily want video. For weddings, sure, you can give your clients some amateur video if they want it.

Could the video grabs get as good as still grabs? if so, then still cameras may be out completely, since who wouldn't want a 30FPS camera?

Hmmm a strange time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224466\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Exactly, and that makes me think what will the photographers be like in the year 2020? Will they be editing videos in front of a monsterous PC, picking up stills from what he earlier filmed out of his 250mp Frankenstein camera thing?
As a still picture lover the whole idea raises many questions and a little fear (there I said it). Is it the industry who is leading us there or maybe just ourselves?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:57:07 am by geotzo »

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 09:15:08 am »

geez... what a bunch of debbie downers.....

We live in such a fantastic time.... technology is advancing at such a fast pace that we can create visually or audibly just about anything our talent and minds can come up with.

If your a musician, photographer, film maker.... there is no excuse to not create and distribute some amazing creations!

The 5d2 is the 1st of it's kind.... a BRIDGE to allow some photographers to let things MOVE! The concept is so unlimiting... just imagine every photograph in your portfolio with some movement.... a  moment in time limited to not just a fraction of a second, but 12 minutes!.... shot with all the skills and vision that you now already have.

the smirk and gaze of a beautiful model
the steam coming off a plate of food
the birds flying through a landscape
a caterpillar munching on a leaf
a wave crashing against the rocks
a rotational view of a classic European automobile

Jump on the bandwagon folks..... or it's gonna leave you in the dust!

chriswitzke.com

picnic

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 09:37:42 am »

geez... what a bunch of debbie downers.....

We live in such a fantastic time.... technology is advancing at such a fast pace that we can create visually or audibly just about anything our talent and minds can come up with.

If your a musician, photographer, film maker.... there is no excuse to not create and distribute some amazing creations!

The 5d2 is the 1st of it's kind.... a BRIDGE to allow some photographers to let things MOVE! The concept is so unlimiting... just imagine every photograph in your portfolio with some movement.... a  moment in time limited to not just a fraction of a second, but 12 minutes!.... shot with all the skills and vision that you now already have.

the smirk and gaze of a beautiful model
the steam coming off a plate of food
the birds flying through a landscape
a caterpillar munching on a leaf
a wave crashing against the rocks
a rotational view of a classic European automobile
Jump on the bandwagon folks..... or it's gonna leave you in the dust!

chriswitzke.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224586\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Personally I really feel I won't shoot video, but I'm still excited about experiencing the creativity of others.  Even now in the last years I've seen wonderful video imagery in museums and galleries--some very subtle as mentioned here, some outrageous and way out of the box--and some fell into the 'crap' category (IMO LOL).  

Diane

Snook

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 03:12:01 pm »

Personally I really feel I won't shoot video, but I'm still excited about experiencing the creativity of others.  Even now in the last years I've seen wonderful video imagery in museums and galleries--some very subtle as mentioned here, some outrageous and way out of the box--and some fell into the 'crap' category (IMO LOL). 

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224595\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can guarantee you tha if most big clients that shoot Video ad campaigns along with Print ad campaigns they will save A LOT of money if they shoot something like this and can grab single images from the Video.. A LOT of work will be funneled to One production. If they can save that much money.. believe me they will!!
Ofcourse this is not ging to happen with the 5DII but will eventually and sooner than you think.
Since the hype of the RED camera I have been anylizing the effect of this.
It is right around the corner and why would someone not want to see movement in an image.
A lot of LCD ad tv's are everywhere now a days and internet is becoming evry day more strong as a selling point.

Plus who would not want to shoot 1-2 , even 10-20 second takes and grab the images out of the single frames.. sure as hell would save a lot of time in shooting. the subject, in my case, could jump, move.laugh, swing their hair, etc. etc.. and I know I got it at 35 fps. instead of one.

Interesting times indeed
Snook

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 04:38:04 am »

Plus who would not want to shoot 1-2 , even 10-20 second takes and grab the images out of the single frames.. sure as hell would save a lot of time in shooting. the subject, in my case, could jump, move.laugh, swing their hair, etc. etc.. and I know I got it at 35 fps. instead of one.

Interesting times indeed
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224986\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's been done. You set up a wall of cameras shooting every angle and then start pulling the trigger simultaneously on all cameras. So your point is taken.

When commercial advertisers start pulling video clips that are as good as still shots, then that will be the very near end of commercial photography in specific areas--such as sports photography and fashion. Listen, if I sponsored a football team or race car driver and wanted to advertise and save as much money as possible, I'd just have the already necessary camera crews--video crews--like always, and then an art director do the video grab picking. No more still cameras or operators to pay. And virtually every angle will be covered by the camera crews already there.

But then why not landscape too and everything else? Pull the trigger and move the camera from your feet over your head and back again, repeat until the sun goes down. No composition thinking nothing. Then do the cropping and comp at home in Adobe, like every one else does. Or just drive by a huge grove of trees in the fall and pull the trigger as you zoom past at 1/500th and 30FPS. Toyota will probably team up with Canon and have one mounted in every car soon so everyone can simply push a button on teh steering wheel and photograph their entire trip--at 200MP and 100FPS!!!

Pretty soon everyone will be unemployed because there will be automated everything, even buttwipers.

witz

• http://www.chriswitzke.com
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 10:01:18 am »

It's been done. You set up a wall of cameras shooting every angle and then start pulling the trigger simultaneously on all cameras. So your point is taken.

When commercial advertisers start pulling video clips that are as good as still shots, then that will be the very near end of commercial photography in specific areas--such as sports photography and fashion. Listen, if I sponsored a football team or race car driver and wanted to advertise and save as much money as possible, I'd just have the already necessary camera crews--video crews--like always, and then an art director do the video grab picking. No more still cameras or operators to pay. And virtually every angle will be covered by the camera crews already there.

But then why not landscape too and everything else? Pull the trigger and move the camera from your feet over your head and back again, repeat until the sun goes down. No composition thinking nothing. Then do the cropping and comp at home in Adobe, like every one else does. Or just drive by a huge grove of trees in the fall and pull the trigger as you zoom past at 1/500th and 30FPS. Toyota will probably team up with Canon and have one mounted in every car soon so everyone can simply push a button on teh steering wheel and photograph their entire trip--at 200MP and 100FPS!!!

Pretty soon everyone will be unemployed because there will be automated everything, even buttwipers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

wow.. doom and gloom....

every person on this planet has a varying degree of visual arts talent.... some, due to their environment or genetics will shine, some will not. A camera that has a higher level of features and capturing abilities is just a tool within the environment a person with or without higher levels of talent will be in.

every market ( fine art, commercial art ) on this planet has varying levels of visual needs. Some like direct mail, senior portraits, editorial, or google street view have lower requirements.... others like fashion or national level ad print have higher levels. Fine art ( nudes, landscape, etc. ) is completely subjective and a unique look is what gets noticed.... sometimes that look is by pinhole, sometimes by technically perfection.... sometimes by message, sometimes meaningless imagery.

If a photographer does an adequate job of capturing an image ( still or moving ), returns their phone calls, shows up on time..... they will find their niche....

Talent is always sought out by those who have a need for it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up