Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: calibration behind the scene?  (Read 2461 times)

bugmenot

calibration behind the scene?
« on: September 19, 2008, 12:21:45 pm »

I bought a color eye calibration software. I ran it and it works. But I am completely baffled as to what goes on behind the screen. Here are some of the questions

What does the lut loader do? Doesn't the OS already have a mechanism to load the icc profile?
Does calibration produce one output (the icc profile) or two outputs (the icc profile, and a LUT)?

Is the calibration process color-space dependent? In other words, if at some point I decide to shoot and output in adobeRGB space, would I have to recalibrate the monitor (assuming I already have a wide gamut monitor)?

If the answer is, the calibration process is color-space dependent, then I expect to see a parameter sRGB or adobeRGB in the calibration software but I haven't found that yet. So, the answer seems to be no.

That means, calibration is color-space independent. So then, why does sRGB photo look more correct than adobeRGB photo when viewed directly? Doesn't it mean the monitor is calibrated to match the sRGB color space? I was told NO NO NO but I don't understand why.

To view adobeRGB photos correctly, I cannot just open it in a simple photo viewer but it has to be viewed in photoshop? Why, because photoshop converts adobeRGB into sRGB?

I found very little answers to these questions on the web. Perhaps I have some weird misconception that I cannot shake from my mind.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
calibration behind the scene?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 05:55:01 pm »

Some OS's (windows) needs a loader for the LUT to "kick in". The LUT is in the profile. On the Mac, when you load a profile, the LUT is also loaded.

Calibration is the process of putting a device in a desirable, optimal if possible and most importantly consistent behavior. Profiles just reflect (fingerprint) this behavior.

For both sRGB and Adobe RGB (1998) (or any) color spaces to appear correctly, you have to view them in applications that understand color management. Those that can use the profiles and understand what the numbers mean. Non ICC aware applications don't do this. They simply send the numbers to the display. Hence, they don't match.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up