Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: why a 1ds mark3?  (Read 19254 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
why a 1ds mark3?
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:10:36 am »

Is there anything i can do better with my mark3 than with a 5dmk2?

i got:

faster (don't need)
100% viewfinder(good)
heavier (don't like)
better AF (don't really need)
more expensive (cool!)
wheather sealing (don't need)

The chances are that my AD's wife/father/kid doesn't shoot the same camera for a hobby are smaller.

please help me feel better.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Henry Goh

why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:08:50 am »

I don't think it is heavier...  

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:10:33 pm »

The 1Ds Mk 3 is available now, the 5D Mk 2 is not available until November. So you can take pictures with the 1Ds right now.

Handling on 1Ds Mk3 is IMO better with larger body - although battery grip would convert 5D to 1Ds shape and size - nearly.
Double memory card slots.
Battery life.

If you are an Adobe user - Camera RAW, Lightroom, then the chances are you'll be able to process 5D Mk2 RAW files almost as soon as you can get the camera. If however you use Aperture then you will possibly need to wait longer for RAW support (if the long wait for 1Ds Mk3 RAW support is anything to base this on...)

I still use my 5D Mk1 loads but almost as a point and shoot - it feels much smaller and lighter after carrying the 1Ds all day!
Pete Truman

dennysb

• http://www.dennysphoto.com
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:08:52 pm »

If you are taking sports and/or wildlife (nature) photography, then you definitely want the 1DsMk3. The new 5D has the same AF and sluggish fp/sec than the old 5D. I have both bodies (5D & 1DsMk3) and believe me you will loose lots of shots with the 5D MkI or II.

I went to shot a off-road bike race a month ago and it had not rain for a while, the dust flying around was crazy, my face and clothe was dirty by the end of the day. There is not way I would bring any camera that is not seal properly on a environment like this.

i got:

faster (don't need)
100% viewfinder(good)
heavier (don't like)
more expensive (cool!)

The chances are that my AD's wife/father/kid doesn't shoot the same camera for a hobby are smaller.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222327\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dennys Bisogno
 [url=http://www.de

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 07:33:16 pm »

Because only the really cool people use a 1Ds III.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 08:36:49 pm »

Well, if you'd like, for a nominal fee-----we could always re-badge your 1Ds Mark III with a 5D II badge....

Snook

why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 10:18:24 pm »

Well, if you'd like, for a nominal fee-----we could always re-badge your 1Ds Mark III with a 5D II badge....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are they really basically the same...
Sorry for the question but I have not done the side by side comparison.
What are the real differences??
Would be interesting since I shoot portrait and could care o less about shooting a machine gun..:+}
Thanks for any further comparison differences...
That way I would keep my 1DsMII also..:+}
Snook

stever

why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:12:35 am »

as i see it the advantage of the 5D2 that it doesn't look like a "professional" camera and the high ISO perfomance (if it lives up to specification).  Do you gain enough from the high frame rate of the 1DS3 to make up for the low light shots from the 5D2?  

I'm surprised the ISO performance hasn't been discussed more - the sensor design may be more related to the 50D than the 1DS3.  definitely different cameras, and if the 5D2 has close to the high ISO performance of Nikon 12mp, this is a serious technology advance.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:52:34 am »

Are they really basically the same...
Sorry for the question but I have not done the side by side comparison.
What are the real differences??
Would be interesting since I shoot portrait and could care o less about shooting a machine gun..:+}
Thanks for any further comparison differences...
That way I would keep my 1DsMII also..:+}
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you shoot portraits in a studio in good light and don't print bigger than 12x18, the 5D1 will be pretty much indistinguishable from any camera, save MF, out right now.

We're just camera perverts.

Khun_K

• http://
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 05:06:40 am »

i got:

faster (don't need)
100% viewfinder(good)
heavier (don't like)
more expensive (cool!)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222327\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
5D2 came a year later than 1Ds MK3 and all the camera came out in a time itself and became the choice for some.  1Ds still have some advantage as being more robust and perhaps can take more serious abuse, with 5D2 may be it is somewhat less in structure, but image may be at least as good or better??  I am sure the cameras coming in 2009 will surpass the 5D2.  Is camera built an important factor?  I think it is, in the film days, when all camera can use pretty much the same film, the pro model cost twice or trice as much of lower range, it is the same today I guessed.  The video feature is really a nice one, wonder how soon an streaming device will be available to feed the video to other portable storage, but this would sure revolutionize the way we call photojournalist.
I am using the 1Ds MK3, I don't feel bad at all when the 5D2 announced, it delivers lots of work for me and will continue to do so. I guess you make your decision to buy a camera you need or your work needs, not for the fear or worry for future released models.

Regards, K

erick.boileau

why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 06:45:59 am »

no there is no reason to spend + 4000 euro

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 06:49:37 am »

no there is no reason to spend + 4000 euro
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222614\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I m sorry to be blunt - But...Thats just a blanket ignorant statement.

As a professional photographer I believe the 1DSMK3 is worth the price difference because it brings important features [to me] that I want and need - such as 100% viewfinder coverage, full weather sealing, 300,000 shutter life etc.

It may not be worth it to someone else - but in my line of work - its a no brainer.

Edit - and I forgot to add to other very important features to me [and probably others]

1. A vastly superior 45 point auto focus system [just try chasing kids around with a 5D's focus system by comparison] and.
2. 1/250th X Sync.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:15:05 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 09:10:50 am »

Maybe we should wait and see a file from the 5DII before we all neck our 1DsII's ??  

a_krause

why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 09:23:50 am »

2. 1/250th X Sync.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222615\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

1 question and 1 comment..

question: the 5d MK II is going to have the digic 4 processor vs a digic 3 in the 1dsmkIII, should this make any difference in actual image quality, or is that just the speed the image is written...?

comment: obviously for the people who need the advantages of the 1dsMkIII the camera will be there, but i dont feel like 1/250th of a flash sync vs 1/200th is that big of a deal, thats 1/3 of a stop. i personally use pocket wizards to fire my strobes, [profoto] and you cant have those sync on ANY canon faster then 200, and there is NO way im gonna hard sync to my packs.. So for someone that shoots only portraits, a weather proof body dosent really interest me in the difference in price as if its raining/snowing outside, i doubt my subjects are gonna be down for their portrait to be made in those conditions..  nor do i need any fancy auto focusing, but thats for my specific style of shooting and im sure if you're shooting wildlife or kids running around like chickens with their heads cut off,its a whole different story..

for me personally i just need a better file then what the current 5D has to offer, i've been using the markIIIds for the past 2 months on all of my shoots and the files are perfect for what i need, so if i can get the same file quality at more then 1/2 the price, this is tempting...

to play devils advocate, as a professional editorial photographer such as myself, you can bill more for the 1dsmkIII camera, at $500/shoot it should only take 2, possibly 3 months to pay off, and then after that, its making you more money then the rental fee for the 5dmkII... decisions decisions..

update: thats battery grip has no option to be bought without the wifi in it, so that'll probably cost another 800-1k, sorta lame they arent going to offer a grip with the fancy wifi..

madmanchan

• Web
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 09:25:48 am »

question: the 5d MK II is going to have the digic 4 processor vs a digic 3 in the 1dsmkIII, should this make any difference in actual image quality, or is that just the speed the image is written...?

Both.
Eric Chan

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 11:33:16 am »

Adam, You are correct -- for you, for studio portrait shooting, the 5d (either one) should be fine.

But I agree with Josh, Erick's blanket statement that "there is no reason to spend + 4000 euro" is simply wrong. The 1Ds Mark III is a different camera which has several advantages (and disadvantages) relative to the 5D Mark II. If a photographer requires the features of the 1Ds series cameras, then he or she needs to spend the big bucks. If not, then the 5D series provides terrific image quality at a very attractive price.

I am going back and forth on that subject right now. I shoot with 1D Mark II bodies (the high speed 8mp version). I don't need 21 megapixels, but I would very much like a professional full frame body. I am trying to decide if -- for me -- the 5D Mark II makes more sense than waiting to see if Canon will match the D3 with a full-frame photojournalist's camera. I would like the lighter weight, smaller form factor, full frame, better IQ, etc., but my cameras get very heavy use under sometimes demanding conditions, and frankly, I like having eight frames per second sometimes. So we'll see.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Henry Goh

why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 11:49:28 am »

The correct statement should read "with the introduction of 5D MKII, the desirability to own a 1Ds MKIII over 5D MKII has been sharply reduced and hence the premium is now perceived to be very expensive."  Would that be more accurate?

I bought my 5D in Dec 2007 and my 1Ds MKIII in Mar 2008 together with 12 lenses, after moving from Nikon so I think the above would best fit my experience.

erick.boileau

why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 11:58:37 am »

I am having  a 1Ds Mark III a 5D and a P45 + H1 , and for me no there is no reason to add  > 4000 euros  for a 1Ds when the 5D cost 2200 euros

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 06:08:32 pm »

The correct statement should read "with the introduction of 5D MKII, the desirability to own a 1Ds MKIII over 5D MKII has been sharply reduced and hence the premium is now perceived to be very expensive."  Would that be more accurate?

Yup.  I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

I love my 1Ds MarkIII----but it does raise some eyebrows that you can buy about THREE new 5D IIs for the same price.

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
why a 1ds mark3?
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 07:23:59 pm »

Just adding further fuel to the fire... The 1D III which is 'practically the same' technology... Differences being UDMA on the 1Ds, Full frame and different prism/shutter mechanism can be had for practically half the price of the 1Ds. With the technology in the 5D2, even adding it on top of the 1DsIII makes it seem that we've been ripped off from the start really... Canon didn't NEED to make the price that high, but they did... Not unheard of in the industry, but really. I feel more hurt about that then anything else so far.

EDIT: Further... When I say I feel hurt... If say they'd honestly couldn't produce it for less then what they're asking for then fair enough... but it's clear now that the margin on the 1DsIII is massive... I have no doubt we'll be seeing some massive discounts for the 1DsIII potential customers soon.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:28:53 pm by Kagetsu »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up