Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different monitor profiles for print vs. web?  (Read 4458 times)

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Different monitor profiles for print vs. web?
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:48:51 am »

We've had a lot of discussions here about appropriate luminance levels in monitor profiling/calibration.  I work in a fairly dim environment and have kept ratcheting down my NEC 2090uxi's luminance level to match my prints, to where I'm now at 85 cd/m² and it's a pretty fair match.

Trouble is, now my web galleries are starting to look a little washed out.  It finally dawned on me that I should probably use different monitor profiles/calibrations for the two different purposes.  This notion was reinforced when I poked around in Spectraview II's supplied default calibration targets recently and noticed that the "Photo Editing" target is at 140 cd/m², while the "Print Standard" target is at 80.(!)

Happily, Spectraview II makes it extremely easy to save and recall multiple calibrations.

Do you any of you follow this approach, i.e., using different monitor calibrations for different purposes?  Comments, suggestions, recommendations?

Nill

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:30:01 pm »

We've had a lot of discussions here about appropriate luminance levels in monitor profiling/calibration.  I work in a fairly dim environment and have kept ratcheting down my NEC 2090uxi's luminance level to match my prints, to where I'm now at 85 cd/m² and it's a pretty fair match.

Trouble is, now my web galleries are starting to look a little washed out.  It finally dawned on me that I should probably use different monitor profiles/calibrations for the two different purposes.  This notion was reinforced when I poked around in Spectraview II's supplied default calibration targets recently and noticed that the "Photo Editing" target is at 140 cd/m², while the "Print Standard" target is at 80.(!)

Happily, Spectraview II makes it extremely easy to save and recall multiple calibrations.

Do you any of you follow this approach, i.e., using different monitor calibrations for different purposes?  Comments, suggestions, recommendations?

Nill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221768\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think it's a good idea to create a different calibration for web. Personally, I mainly work at 5800/1.8/80cd/m2 with "color comp" and "best grayscale tracking" option when I prepare my work for offset press, so everything really looks "wrong" in a web browser - the contrast is low, shadows are way too bright, and everythin looks warmer than on a regular monitor. That's why I have an "usual screen simulation" target with "maximize contrast ratio" priority, 6500/2.2/100.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:09:21 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:35:23 pm »

Coincidentally, that's exactly what I just set as my new standard for web processing.

Nill
Pages: [1]   Go Up