Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aptus 75 tethered to Dell laptop  (Read 1762 times)

Zachary Goulko

Aptus 75 tethered to Dell laptop
« on: September 09, 2008, 12:23:58 pm »

I am hoping that someone here may have some experience with a problem I am having.

I am trying to shoot with my Aptus 75, tethered to my Dell laptop in the studio, since my space is limited, and Live View only works tethered. The laptop is networked to our central file server. It has a 4 pin firewire slot which is not powered, and would not power up the DB. To try and fix this problem, I purchased a PCMCIA firewire card, with 3 6-pin ports, and a DC power adapter from Radio Shack to power the card. The DC adapter is to the specifications of the card (1.5amp, 12v, center positive).

I got the DB to power up and connect to the laptop, but after about 30 seconds of Live View, it kept freezing up. After the 3rd time that it froze, it would no longer connect to the laptop, or my desktops. It turns out that the internal firewire board burnt out, and I had to bring it back to Leaf for repairs.

I am now afraid to plug it in to the laptop with my current configuration, and was wondering if anyone here has a solution to my problem. Some people have mentioned using a powered firewire hub. Has anyone tried this with success? I do not want to purchase a Macbook Pro, just for the powered firewire port.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up