Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 40D "Picture Styles"  (Read 5050 times)

BruceHouston

40D "Picture Styles"
« on: September 06, 2008, 03:41:13 am »

Canon's "Picture Styles" are sets of the following parameters:

Sharpness
Contrast
Color Saturation
Color "Tone" (reddish to yellowish skin tone)

I believe that these parameters are used to tweak the in-camera produced jpegs.  

My question is whether any of these settings affect the raw image files or whehter they are simply ignored when shooting raw.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Best,
Bruce

bjanes

40D "Picture Styles"
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:31:49 am »

Canon's "Picture Styles" are sets of the following parameters:

Sharpness
Contrast
Color Saturation
Color "Tone" (reddish to yellowish skin tone)

I believe that these parameters are used to tweak the in-camera produced jpegs. 

My question is whether any of these settings affect the raw image files or whehter they are simply ignored when shooting raw.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Best,
Bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Picture Style is recorded in the raw file as metadata and it can be read and applied by the raw converter. I use Nikon, but I think the Canon DPP converter will do this. ACR does not apply the Picture Style, but the latest version of ACR does have camera profiles which will closely match the effects of these styles. Currently, you have to apply these profiles manually, as ACR does not apply them automatically.

Bill

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
40D "Picture Styles"
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:40:45 am »

The Picture Style is metadata embedded in the raw image and does not affect the raw data. If you use ACR, LR, RD, CO, or any raw program other than Canon's DPP or ImageBrowser, the Picture Style metadata is ignored.

Only Canon's raw image software recognizes the Picture Style metadata of the image. When using either of these programs it can be easily changed to any style you've loaded onto your system and/or camera to achieve the "look" of the Picture Style.

A very powerful, yet kludgy program is Canon's Picture Style Editor which allows you to make your own Picture Style file. A custom Picture Style can then be uploaded to your camera and used accordingly.

Picture Styles are usually used when shooting in JPEG mode. They allow the user to precisely define how the raw data will be transformed in-camera to the JPEG format.

Very complete information and additional, free Picture Styles are  here.
~ CB

madmanchan

• Web
40D "Picture Styles"
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:39:17 am »

The actual raw image data is not affected by your in-camera choice of Picture Style (or its parameters).
Eric Chan

BruceHouston

40D "Picture Styles"
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 02:51:07 am »

Thanks all; much appreciated.

Bruce

spidermike

40D "Picture Styles"
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:14:16 am »

The Picture Style is metadata embedded in the raw image and does not affect the raw data. If you use ACR, LR, RD, CO, or any raw program other than Canon's DPP or ImageBrowser, the Picture Style metadata is ignored.

Only Canon's raw image software recognizes the Picture Style metadata of the image.

Can I just clarify that.
I sometimes take RAW+JPEG - if I set a picture style for the JPEG versions, then DPP automatically applies the picture style on top of any changes I have made?
If I view the RAW file on screen to do some editing (sharpening etc), am I seeing RAW with the style applied? Or does the picture style only get applied once I convert to JPEG?

I presume that all this can be reversed simply by resetting the style on the DPP toolbar...
Cheers
Mike

madmanchan

• Web
40D "Picture Styles"
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 02:02:09 pm »

The JPEG image has the Picture Style applied to it. It cannot be changed after the fact.

The RAW image data hasn't been modified. Therefore after the fact, in DPP, for instance, you can change the Picture Style to whatever you want. In Camera Raw or Lightroom, with raw files you can also change the color profile, after the fact.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up