Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 firmware TR12-TR_07_00_00-3_mvl40-x86-opt  (Read 44293 times)

rdonson

z3100 firmware TR12-TR_07_00_00-3_mvl40-x86-opt
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 08:29:02 pm »

Still no new firmware file for XP.
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 06:16:14 pm »

and still no new firmware for XP.....
Regards,
Ron

dajaka

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 06:59:47 pm »

Since upgrading my Z3100 44" to this firmware I've gotten the following error twice in the last 2 days while the printer was sitting idle:

79.1:04

In the service manual it lists this as: Recoverable firmware error that does not stop the printing process.

I've had to unplug the printer and restart to continue. I've never seen this before this firmware upgrade.

Anyone else seeing this?

rdonson

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 02:41:38 pm »

Regards,
Ron

damdeziner

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 09:15:55 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well--The XP version of the new firmware must have needed lots of work because it is still unavailable for download.
This is disappointing, but I'd hate to install a not ready for primetime build as well!!
Still waiting.

Dave

rdonson

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 08:53:06 am »

Well--The XP version of the new firmware must have needed lots of work because it is still unavailable for download.
This is disappointing, but I'd hate to install a not ready for primetime build as well!!
Still waiting.

Dave
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=221871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It may also be that the dev staff is all busy fussing with whatever printer they're going to announce/show at Photokina.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:54:29 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 09:32:37 am »

Oh, sounds nice.  I switch media often and grunt resentfully at the dollar in paper the printer eats each time I load a roll.  Arrow control of loaded media would be nice also to get those canvas batches cut off cleanly (it always feels so lame to pop the lever and do it manually).  But changing ink mid print!!  That's the best news ever.  

n.b. 18 months into ownership and continue to be thrilled with the z and its output.  been doing some extremely high res tests (full 1200 dpi data) and 10x loupe examination is always a revelation.

iCrop

• http://
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 07:12:37 pm »

It may also be that the dev staff is all busy fussing with whatever printer they're going to announce/show at Photokina.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222045\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It’s interesting that it’s taking this long to replace a file.  The firmware is the same, whether you’re using Windows or OS X.  The firmware just get’s uploaded to the printer.  The Windows problem is either a delivery issue (the program that uploads the firmware to the printer), or a corrupt file on the HP server.  If the file is corrupt, it’ll take a few seconds to replace it on the server.  Done.  We all have access to it.  It doesn’t take days to perform that task.  If it’s a delivery issue, they should only have to recompile the setup program, and put that on the server.  Assuming they still have the setup used to create the original executable, it will take a few moments longer to update the server.  Either way, it’s not a one week task, not even where I work.    

I think they’re testing our patience (at least mine).

Mike

rdonson

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:17 pm »

It’s interesting that it’s taking this long to replace a file.  The firmware is the same, whether you’re using Windows or OS X.  The firmware just get’s uploaded to the printer.  The Windows problem is either a delivery issue (the program that uploads the firmware to the printer), or a corrupt file on the HP server.  If the file is corrupt, it’ll take a few seconds to replace it on the server.  Done.  We all have access to it.  It doesn’t take days to perform that task.  If it’s a delivery issue, they should only have to recompile the setup program, and put that on the server.  Assuming they still have the setup used to create the original executable, it will take a few moments longer to update the server.  Either way, it’s not a one week task, not even where I work.    

I think they’re testing our patience (at least mine).

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I couldn't agree more.  We QA a system in less time than they're taking to provide an uncorrupted file.  Unless.... those on the Mac are reporting problems with the firmware and they've had to rethink a thing or three.

My patience is being tested as well.  

What's always most frustrating is the total lack of communications from HP.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:14:45 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2008, 03:25:34 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=222045\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would imagine so. That is no excuse for not having support on urgent issues for current users. Throwing a fmwr together , posting it then running for cover under the guise that there is a new product launch?
BTW the op sys on Z is a Linux set up so if there are problems in getting it into the printer it's the installer, probably not the firmware itself.

rdonson

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 09:33:26 am »

Time to report once again that there is no new firmware for XP for the Z3100.

With this kind of customer support I don't understand why anyone would buy a Z3200 no matter how good the printer is.

Oh yeah, no word at all from HP on this.    

I did receive a goofy "HP Support" email from them that really contained no useful information at all.
Regards,
Ron

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2008, 09:55:51 am »

Hi Ron-

yeah, I got a "support email"; Every time I get one I think "this one will finally have something important." But no, even though I only signed up for z3100 updates, it only has something about "ITRC or BSC", whatever the hell that is! And the worst part is I never do get the emails about the new z3100 firmware, I have to hear about that here first!

But the z3200 is great, I have to say. If I had to choose between good emails or good printers, well...

Hang in there, buddy.

Bill

Time to report once again that there is no new firmware for XP for the Z3100.

With this kind of customer support I don't understand why anyone would buy a Z3200 no matter how good the printer is.

Oh yeah, no word at all from HP on this.   

I did receive a goofy "HP Support" email from them that really contained no useful information at all.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2008, 01:30:23 pm »

Hi Ron,
I was just over to the HP Site and there is a new Firmware for the HPZ3100ps entitled:

HPZ3100ps GP PHOTO Printer Firmware Upgrade

Download »Type: Firmware
Version: TR12PS-7.0.0.3-5 (9 Sep 2008)
Operating System(s): Mac OS X, Mac OS X 10.5
File name: TR12-TR12PS_07_00_00-3_mvl40-x86-opt_B.dmg (332 MB)

Is this what you are looking for?

Also, it doesn't appear that the drivers have been updated.

I'm holding off until I hear more from regular users.

Nothing yet.  Hopefully this time they're testing before posting.   

Its a firmware update I'm looking forward to.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

rdonson

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2008, 01:38:26 pm »

Hi Ron,
I was just over to the HP Site and there is a new Firmware for the HPZ3100ps entitled:

HPZ3100ps GP PHOTO Printer Firmware Upgrade

Download »Type: Firmware
Version: TR12PS-7.0.0.3-5 (9 Sep 2008)
Operating System(s): Mac OS X, Mac OS X 10.5
File name: TR12-TR12PS_07_00_00-3_mvl40-x86-opt_B.dmg (332 MB)

Is this what you are looking for?

Also, it doesn't appear that the drivers have been updated.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info!  

Unfortunately I'm looking for the latest firmware for the base Z3100 on Windows XP.  The firmware for base Z on the Mac has been available for several weeks now.
Regards,
Ron

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2008, 03:00:54 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224961\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Come on Tom!  You first.  You act like you've been burned before or something.

Oh yeah, me too.

I am curious if this version might solve my problem with needing to connect my Z3100ps GP over USB directly to retrieve my paper list and add profiles, a feature brought about by the last firmware upgrade.

As with Bill, I choose good printing over good email (support), but I sorely wish the decision wasn't binary.  Could we have a little middle ground, please?

Did I mention that I'm more than a little jealous, though, at those that were a part of the beta program on the Z3200?  Were you involved with HP before this model, Bill?  Was this a result of your being a vocal critic of aspects of the Z3100?  If that is the case, you have to give a little back to HP for the foresight to get input from sources outside the HP glee club.  

Why they can't manage to post the new software for XP, and why they can't seem to make their alert system function for useful purposes like software alerts though, is all a part of the strange black box we call HP.

-Ron H.

PS:  I just noticed that there are new paper presets available for many, but not all HP substrates, on the Postscript downloads page.  While it would be nice to know what is different about these from previous presets, I guess if you are going to be reprofiling anyway due to new firmware, you might as well delete all of the older presets and replace them as a matter of course.  That old wary feeling still creeps back sometimes, though . . .
-Ron H.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 03:48:53 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 03:41:13 pm »

I wouldn't be jealous of beta testing HP stuff. I am glad however others will do it as someone will have to.
I had to print on one (well didn't have to they had Epson and Canon too) at Photokina.
They have tagged the profiles into the media presets. Who ever did the testing might not have seen the bugs I saw in the software. Good luck is all I can say.
I saw print defects that were in the original Z printers before the mad dashes at fixing the red for matte paper which were to the detriment of the other color maps come back again in the 3200. Grey transition problems, GE problem,  contouring and other things that were at least on this particular 3200 PS shocking. Oh maybe someone put the wrong inks in.....

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 04:07:28 pm »

I wouldn't be jealous of beta testing HP stuff. I am glad however others will do it as someone will have to. <snip>
I saw print defects that were in the original Z printers before the mad dashes at fixing the red for matte paper which were to the detriment of the other color maps come back again in the 3200. Grey transition problems, GE problem,  contouring and other things that were at least on this particular 3200 PS shocking. Oh maybe someone put the wrong inks in.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225001\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Neil-
Are you suggesting that you shouldn't need a hammer to get stubborn cartridges that don't seem to fit right?  What if you run out of the right kind of cartridge at a major trade show?  Even then?

Your point about the beta testing is well taken.  Shiny and new is great when it all works, but sorting out green software and hardware must have it's own special frustrations at times.  Extrapolating from some of my own troubles here and there, of course, which must pale by comparison.

Your post implies that only part of the red gamut expansion on the Z3200 was from ink formulation, and the rest was from adjustments to the color lookup tables?  Yours seems to be the first less than enthusiastic comment I've read about it, if so.

-Ron H.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:07:50 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.

rdonson

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 05:00:24 pm »

Come on Tom!  You first.  You act like you've been burned before or something.

Oh yeah, me too.

I am curious if this version might solve my problem with needing to connect my Z3100ps GP over USB directly to retrieve my paper list and add profiles, a feature brought about by the last firmware upgrade.

As with Bill, I choose good printing over good email (support), but I sorely wish the decision wasn't binary.  Could we have a little middle ground, please?

Did I mention that I'm more than a little jealous, though, at those that were a part of the beta program on the Z3200?  Were you involved with HP before this model, Bill?  Was this a result of your being a vocal critic of aspects of the Z3100?  If that is the case, you have to give a little back to HP for the foresight to get input from sources outside the HP glee club. 

Why they can't manage to post the new software for XP, and why they can't seem to make their alert system function for useful purposes like software alerts though, is all a part of the strange black box we call HP.

-Ron H.

PS:  I just noticed that there are new paper presets available for many, but not all HP substrates, on the Postscript downloads page.  While it would be nice to know what is different about these from previous presets, I guess if you are going to be reprofiling anyway due to new firmware, you might as well delete all of the older presets and replace them as a matter of course.  That old wary feeling still creeps back sometimes, though . . .
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good points, Ron.

Epson has the Print Academy and Canon has the poohbahs of Light.  He have Robert and Bill for the Z3200.  I am very thankful that both have had the opportunity to work with HP much as Neil did with the Z3100.  It seems to be the main pipeline of real world information on the printers.  

I'm not afraid of the new firmware and will try it once its available.  I've not been burned on firmware yet.  Drivers and software, well that's a different story, but I was able to recover from their mistakes.  

My Z3100 is still doing a super job for me but I'm getting irritated by the treatment from HP.  I guess they really don't understand this market niche.
Regards,
Ron

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2008, 04:27:48 pm »

Thanks for the info! 

Unfortunately I'm looking for the latest firmware for the base Z3100 on Windows XP.  The firmware for base Z on the Mac has been available for several weeks now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=224966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Ron,
Sorry, I thought you had the same machine as me ;-)

Here are a few quick questions for you or anybody....

When you do a firmware upgrade, the printer looses all the jobs in the queue, and you have to recalibrate your papers and make new profiles. It would be really great for me if you could pull jobs of the printer and then upload them later, as I have done years ago with RIP Software on my then large format Epson Stylst Color 3000 printer. Doesn't that make sense or not? Also I used to be able to archive jobs that require reprinting. Of course back then the RIP was in the computer and controlling the printer.

Wouldn't it be great if HP offered a list of what changes are incorporated into the new firmware?

Is it just me who sees this as an oversight?

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2008, 05:40:36 pm »

Wouldn't it be great if HP offered a list of what changes are incorporated into the new firmware?

Is it just me who sees this as an oversight?

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225282\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Tom-
I'm the Ron with the same printer/OS as you.  Rons are a dime a dozen around these parts . . .

Here is what HP lists under fixes on the download page.  I assume these apply to all of the 3100 models:

"--You will be able to replace a cartridge that has run out of ink in the middle of a print without needing to cancel the print.
--When loading photo papers, the printer will ask if you want to cut the leading edge of the paper.
--A firmware upgrade will not delete custom paper presets from the printer.
--There will be a new option in the Paper menu to advance and reverse paper without cutting it.
--The processing speed when printing large images or rotated images through the PostScript driver has been improved"

They all sound good to me.

I will most likely take the bait and upgrade when I'm back at work on Monday.  Details to follow.

-Ron H.
-Ron H.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up