Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Rains' Post Deleted  (Read 29498 times)

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 06:34:29 pm »

i guess mr schewe could not just let an apology stand all by itself....had to follow it up somehow....

snickgrr

• http://
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 06:57:22 pm »

To use a common quote of Jeff's "in the grand scheme of things..." it will not matter a lick.

And you're simply throwing away the baby with the bath water with such an attitude although if you feel this is somehow punishing Jeff, go ahead. While you may not like his tone, the information he has exchanged over the years, either freely or in books and video's is indispensable to the industry.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is not to reply to the main subject matter although I have strong feelings about it.  I am replying to this, the most grievous of attitudes to assume.  That one can not or should not stand up for their beliefs for it doesn't matter one lick.  Our libraries are filled with stories of one person standing up and saying "Hell no".  They are filled with stories people overcoming through persistence and an unwavering belief in their morals and ethics It is our duty to make a stand against the tyrants and bullies of the world.  It doesn't matter what language you understand, in all the libraries of all mankind there are our stories that say that it does matter a lick if you stand up for what you believe.

Tell that to Rosa Parks as she boarded the bus and said "Hell, no I'm not sitting in the back"

nokinq

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 07:24:32 pm »

Just to be perfectly clear, this is not a business to and for me. If I were to run my life around a business, I may indeed have a different approach and philosophy but I really, really don't have to worry about that. I could quit now and retire into obscurity and never have to work another day in my life. Not unlike Michael, I really, really don't care about what people think about me. And while you may not believe that, you can be assured that it's absolutely true. I really don't care if you never buy anything I ever do. In a small way I'm actually pleased that such a tightarse as yourself will NOT be getting the benefits of my efforts. But I really don't care a whit.

What I DO care about are many of the issues facing the industry, striving to do better work and to learn. That and having fun and enjoying life. Part of the enjoyment in my life is to pass stuff along to other people but on the terms that I set. If you don't like the way I approach my life, fine, go away and make YOUR life easier by not dealing with anything you don't like...but you can take it to the bank I couldn't care less.

Have a nice life...(and don't let the door hit ya on the butt as you go out the door).

:~)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219703\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Is it possible that Mr Schewe could be in any doubt that everyone and their dog knows that he couldn't care what people think about him,no normal person could behave so boorishly had they the slightest respect for their fellow man.

mbridgers

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 07:38:23 pm »

Just to be perfectly clear, this is not a business to and for me. If I were to run my life around a business, I may indeed have a different approach and philosophy but I really, really don't have to worry about that. I could quit now and retire into obscurity and never have to work another day in my life. Not unlike Michael, I really, really don't care about what people think about me. And while you may not believe that, you can be assured that it's absolutely true. I really don't care if you never buy anything I ever do. In a small way I'm actually pleased that such a tightarse as yourself will NOT be getting the benefits of my efforts. But I really don't care a whit.

What I DO care about are many of the issues facing the industry, striving to do better work and to learn. That and having fun and enjoying life. Part of the enjoyment in my life is to pass stuff along to other people but on the terms that I set. If you don't like the way I approach my life, fine, go away and make YOUR life easier by not dealing with anything you don't like...but you can take it to the bank I couldn't care less.

Have a nice life...(and don't let the door hit ya on the butt as you go out the door).

:~)

If trying to be polite and respectful to people, whether I know them or not, makes me a "tightarse", then I'll wear the banner proudly.

And I have no intention of leaving this forum or this site.  I won't let a bully run me out, regardless of how successful that bully is.  I am not impressed.  So, no door will be hitting me on the way out; I'll just use the ignore button.  Fortunately, there are many, many other contributors here to help me learn more about all that is modern photography.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 08:12:10 pm »

It would seem that the 2 people directly involved in this story have reached an agreement about this - to start with highly unconsequential - dispute, so what is the value of artificially extending the debate to discuss how they have handled the matter?

I am just a guest here obviously, but I see enough agression in other places not to be looking forward to find some here. This forum really doesn't need such discussions. DPreview was designed to host this, I don't think that we need to adopt that model. Why don't we just decide to keep being smarter?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:13:05 pm by BernardLanguillier »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 10:36:13 pm »

They are filled with stories people overcoming through persistence and an unwavering belief in their morals and ethics It is our duty to make a stand against the tyrants and bullies of the world. 
Tell that to Rosa Parks as she boarded the bus and said "Hell, no I'm not sitting in the back"

My god, talk about blowing things way out of proportion and making mountains out of molehills.

Tyrants and bullies of the world no less. That's the mindset that got us in Iraq. Geeze, talk about thin skins.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DarkPenguin

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 10:41:28 pm »

I haven't laughed this much in ages.  Best thread ever.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 11:39:53 pm »

I didn't see the original thread, so I won't comment on it. But IMO the reaction to it is way overblown. The insistence that everyone must be politically correct and God help us if anyone says anything that someone might possibly take offense to is just as tyrannical and boorish as suggesting that someone go play in traffic. If you don't like Schewe's style, fine whatever. But comparing him to various dictators and engaging in similar name-calling is at best engaging in the same sort of behavior you're criticizing.

NikosR

• http://
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 11:47:37 pm »

Let's face it, anyone who rides big bikes has to have an attitude just to stay alive.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I ride a big bike. Much more aggresive than Mr. Schewes' mule I believe. I don't have too much of an attitude, I think.  
Nikos

Mike_Dougan

• http://www.thefieryscotsman.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 11:53:35 pm »

My god, talk about blowing things way out of proportion and making mountains out of molehills.

Tyrants and bullies of the world no less. That's the mindset that got us in Iraq. Geeze, talk about thin skins.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm always amazed at just how quickly people take offense on internet forums and just how sensitive people are online.

In my world people like Jeff are just pussy cats, try working Oil Rigs for 20 years in some of the most dangerous country's in the world. It gives you an attitude!

Its probably explains why I get paid so much, not many people can stand having to deal with the real world 24/7.

wlong

• www.longshots.com.au
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2008, 01:00:08 am »

I'm always amazed at just how quickly people take offense on internet forums and just how sensitive people are online.

In my world people like Jeff are just pussy cats, try working Oil Rigs for 20 years in some of the most dangerous country's in the world. It gives you an attitude!

Its probably explains why I get paid so much, not many people can stand having to deal with the real world 24/7.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219764\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd have to agree with that

But at the same time, I consider Nick a good friend in the real world and in real life in sunny Brisbane, Australia, and watching what was a fairly quiet original post from his typically quiet and non confrontational style does appear to have caused some tsunami style responses  - seriously amusing Nick

So back to the issue of CS4..........

nokinq

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2008, 04:15:14 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wrong!the reason you got tied up in Iraq was because you failed to stand up to the real bullies on your own doorstep, The Dogs of War in the Whitehouse

Rob C

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2008, 04:23:07 am »

Gandhi had it right.

"... There have been tyrants... and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS.”

All he really accomplishes is to prevent others as he has me, from participating in what should be a civil discourse. Not that I fear his boorishness, only that I choose not to be victimized by it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, man, you can´t blame Gandhi for that!

Rob C

Rob C

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2008, 04:56:01 am »

Wrong!the reason you got tied up in Iraq was because you failed to stand up to the real bullies on your own doorstep, The Dogs of War in the Whitehouse
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That, my man, is the easiest out yet: blame the population.

Watching recent news disclosures made possible under the "freedom of information" thing, it turns out that both Washington and London were independently well aware of the non-existence of WMDs but both, for whatever reasons, were unable to disclose, or discuss,  that information to/with the other. Allies?

By the time the momentum of war gets rolling, only war itself can stop it. There are too many people making mega-bucks out of the economy of war; too many ordinary citizens whose jobs ARE making the tools of war. How do you get out of it? You don´t: you just hope for some sanity to prevail worldwide for long enough to allow us to regather our strengths in order to do it all over again.

It is the nature of man. You know, homo sapiens...

Rob C

wlong

• www.longshots.com.au
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2008, 06:32:48 am »

That, my man, is the easiest out yet: blame the population.

Watching recent news disclosures made possible under the "freedom of information" thing, it turns out that both Washington and London were independently well aware of the non-existence of WMDs but both, for whatever reasons, were unable to disclose, or discuss,  that information to/with the other. Allies?

By the time the momentum of war gets rolling, only war itself can stop it. There are too many people making mega-bucks out of the economy of war; too many ordinary citizens whose jobs ARE making the tools of war. How do you get out of it? You don´t: you just hope for some sanity to prevail worldwide for long enough to allow us to regather our strengths in order to do it all over again.

It is the nature of man. You know, homo sapiens...

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219794\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So let me get this right - this all started because my mate Nick repeated in slightly different terms to Adobe, that CS4 was on its way.  God this is getting funnier and funnier.  Nick you are soo bad !:)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2008, 07:18:10 am »

I ride a big bike. Much more aggresive than Mr. Schewes' mule I believe.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219763\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That might be a matter of debate. I'll have you know I just turned 93,000K on my 1996 R110GS after riding back from Mendicino, CA (2,400 miles one way) after having torn a calf muscle and twisted an ankle. And THAT'S riding alone from CS-NV-WY-SD-WI and finally IL at an average MPH of about 75MPH (yeah some of it was slower through Yellowstone but pretty much over 90MPH through NV & SD).

So, you may THINK you're more aggressive, but try keeping up with me packing my computer, a 1DsM3 + lenses, clothing and "stuff" and tell me that running a 600 mile day (on average) is whimpy riding...

Personally, I value SMOOTH and safe riding more than aggressive...aggressive riding gets you a hospital stay more than likely.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:20:15 am by Schewe »

schaubild

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2008, 08:30:54 am »

.... I really, really don't care about what people think about me. And while you may not believe that, you can be assured that it's absolutely true. I really don't care if you never buy anything I ever do. In a small way I'm actually pleased that such a tightarse as yourself will NOT be getting the benefits of my efforts. But I really don't care a whit.

What a disgusting kind of language. Doesn't do any good to your credibility. Sorry, but this must be said.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, 08:45:33 am »

So what it boils down to, I guess, is the real question: Did Jeff or Nick really have Weapons of Mass Destruction?    

I, too, got mildly annoyed at Jeff once. But I have gotten so much of value from him that giving up his posts or this forum would be like giving up food completely just because I ate a plum once that wasn't ripe.

Jeff and Nick are both on my short list of photographic heroes. As someone else pointed out recently: They have made their peace, so why don't the rest of us shut up about this thing now.

-Eric M.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

bjanes

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, 09:13:35 am »

So what it boils down to, I guess, is the real question: Did Jeff or Nick really have Weapons of Mass Destruction?   

I, too, got mildly annoyed at Jeff once. But I have gotten so much of value from him that giving up his posts or this forum would be like giving up food completely just because I ate a plum once that wasn't ripe.

-Eric M.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219817\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Anyone who avoids posting on this site because of Jeff's boorish behavior is truly a wimp. As the old saying goes, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". In real life words can lead to a physical confrontation, but one is safe from physical assault on the net. He has marked my posts to be ignored, so I don't have to worry about further abuse from him, and if you are lucky, it could happen to you too.

Jeff does have a lot of photographic knowledge and he has access to Thomas Knoll and other true luminaries in the digital imaging world. I bought his revision of Bruce's ACR book-- it is a valuable resource and some of the proceeds will go to Bruce's widow. Likewise, I bought a couple of the LL video tutorials in which Jeff is a major figure. The proceeds help support this forum which we are all using free of charge.

Bill

stamper

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2008, 11:15:23 am »

Jeff does have a lot of photographic knowledge and he has access to Thomas Knoll and other true luminaries in the digital imaging world. I bought his revision of Bruce's ACR book-- it is a valuable resource and some of the proceeds will go to Bruce's widow. Likewise, I bought a couple of the LL video tutorials in which Jeff is a major figure. The proceeds help support this forum which we are all using free of charge.

Bill

If he was as rude to these people as he is on this site sometimes then he would no longer be acquainted with them End of story He deliberately chooses to be rude That is the bottom line None of us are perfect As a moderator of a website I know the problems involved One of them - I am not suggesting that this is the present case - is that a poster has had a couple of beers or whatever and they post something that they wouldn't normally do I honestly hope that Jeff can continue to post his thoughts on photography without the personal stuff I am surprised that Michael hasn't stepped in and ended this thread Other posters who "wind" people up without trying to be humorous should take note from this thread Now as someone who thinks that Nikon is better than Canon .............  :    
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up