Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Rains' Post Deleted  (Read 29490 times)

Streetshooter

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 05:11:42 pm »

Love him or hate him, none of us would be where we are today without Jeff's generous contributions to the art and craft of photography.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219260\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

None of us, why ?  Please explain.....

tgphoto

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 05:26:59 pm »

None of us, why ?  Please explain.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're kidding, right?

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 06:00:05 pm »

Just to set the record straight...

- I got a press release from Adobe's PR dept. about the Sept 23 announcement.

- I double-checked if it was OK to share the information and was told in writing that it was.

- Press releases from PR depts mean that the releaser wants publicity so I shared the release here.

- Mr Schewe unloaded on me.

- I figured that he cast enough doubt on my info for me to check further, and in the meantime I asked Michael to remove the thread in case someone at Adobe AU was in serious error. I planned to re-post a clarification but the time difference from Australia to the US means I have just started my day. I have been silent for no other reason than being asleep!

So, as it turn out my information was correct and my public discussion of it was also correct.

Some confusion, if I can call it that, lay in the wording of the press release which used the terms 'launch' and 'release'. I took it to mean actual release, not the announcement of a future release. I used the same words in my post which Mr Schewe took at face value and reacted accordingly.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

BruceHouston

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 06:26:48 pm »

Just to set the record straight...

- I got a press release from Adobe's PR dept. about the Sept 23 announcement.

- I double-checked if it was OK to share the information and was told in writing that it was.

- Press releases from PR depts mean that the releaser wants publicity so I shared the release here.

- Mr Schewe unloaded on me.

- I figured that he cast enough doubt on my info for me to check further, and in the meantime I asked Michael to remove the thread in case someone at Adobe AU was in serious error. I planned to re-post a clarification but the time difference from Australia to the US means I have just started my day. I have been silent for no other reason than being asleep!

So, as it turn out my information was correct and my public discussion of it was also correct.

Some confusion, if I can call it that, lay in the wording of the press release which used the terms 'launch' and 'release'. I took it to mean actual release, not the announcement of a future release. I used the same words in my post which Mr Schewe took at face value and reacted accordingly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219284\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you, Nick!  Please keep the information coming.

It is not unusual that the press releases occur "down under" before we see them here in the U.S., if for no other reason than the time lag when we are sleeping.  I, for one, work late and very much appreciate the early "heads up."

Best regards,
Bruce

Streetshooter

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 06:39:39 pm »

You're kidding, right?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No not kidding. As I said, please enlighten us all.

Thanks

vandevanterSH

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 06:39:39 pm »

Love him or hate him, none of us would be where we are today without Jeff's generous contributions to the art and craft of photography.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219260\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No question and his contribution to the tutorials is terrific.  It just seems to me that recently Jeff's post here are trending to "snark" and ad hominem rather than responding in a positive and helpful manner.  It must be tiresome reading some of the stupidity that I and others post but that's life.

John Camp

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 07:05:16 pm »

Jeff Schewe provides a ton of information.  One can cope with his occasional prickliness.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You put a lot of pressure on that "L"   8-)

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 07:22:59 pm »

Jeff Schewe's general overbearingness, nastiness and arrogance has really soured this forum for me.  Not that he would care one iota. 

It's a pity he has to project such an unpleasant persona. Polar opposite to Bruce Fraser, RIP.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jeff is one of the reasons that I stopped using this forum on a regular basis.
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 09:24:17 pm »

To the extent that what Nick wrote and Adobe AU said, Nick did have the authorization to post what he posted. I've said as much to him in both the deleted thread and in IM. To that extent, I was wrong and Nick was right. However, I'm pretty sure Adobe AU jumped the gun because those people under NDA have an embargo date of Sept, 23, 2008 and we have to respect that.

So, what Adobe AU did was undercut everybody who HAS respected their NDAs. It's pretty frustrating for those people who do respect NDAs to have the company who we signed them with ignore the date and make their own early announcements. But hey, it's their company and they can do what they like...however, those of us under NDA still can't say anything regarding whatever that WASN'T in the announcement (which is to say I can't really comment on the "accuracy" of Adobe AU's announcement) which relates to what Nick says here...

So, all I can say is that Adobe has said they will ANNOUNCE CS4 on Sept 23rd...as far as I've heard, they HAVEN'T said when it'll be released...although past history suggests they'll try to ship at least US versions in 30-45 days (more or less). So, we'll see...

As to the rest of the hand wringing, well, I'm a big boy, if you care to dish it out, I'm perfectly happy to take it (as long as you're prepared to take it when I decide to dish it out :~) I've apologized to Nick and I'll apologize to Mike for this becoming a "thing". But that's about the extent of my apologizing if ya know what I mean...

Have a nice day...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 09:25:48 pm by Schewe »

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 09:36:06 pm »

Quote from: Schewe,Sep 4 2008, 01:24 AM
But that's about the extent of my apologizing if ya know what I mean...

Good enough for me...
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

BruceHouston

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 12:10:40 am »

Good job, gentlemen!

Tklimek

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 12:20:16 am »

Excellent; hopefully this is now behind us; this thread was starting to generate more posts than the announcement of LR 2.0!  LOL  ;-)

Thanks for working this out guys!

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago
(buy you a beer at the "Spoke" sometime Jeff)

Quote from: Schewe,Sep 3 2008, 08:24 PM
To the extent that what Nick wrote and Adobe AU said, Nick did have the authorization to post what he posted. I've said as much to him in both the deleted thread and in IM. To that extent, I was wrong and Nick was right. However, I'm pretty sure Adobe AU jumped the gun because those people under NDA have an embargo date of Sept, 23, 2008 and we have to respect that.

So, what Adobe AU did was undercut everybody who HAS respected their NDAs. It's pretty frustrating for those people who do respect NDAs to have the company who we signed them with ignore the date and make their own early announcements. But hey, it's their company and they can do what they like...however, those of us under NDA still can't say anything regarding whatever that WASN'T in the announcement (which is to say I can't really comment on the "accuracy" of Adobe AU's announcement) which relates to what Nick says here...
So, all I can say is that Adobe has said they will ANNOUNCE CS4 on Sept 23rd...as far as I've heard, they HAVEN'T said when it'll be released...although past history suggests they'll try to ship at least US versions in 30-45 days (more or less). So, we'll see...

As to the rest of the hand wringing, well, I'm a big boy, if you care to dish it out, I'm perfectly happy to take it (as long as you're prepared to take it when I decide to dish it out :~) I've apologized to Nick and I'll apologize to Mike for this becoming a "thing". But that's about the extent of my apologizing if ya know what I mean...

Have a nice day...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DarkPenguin

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 11:31:28 am »

You put a lot of pressure on that "L"   8-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm a canon user.  One has to have faith in "L".

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 11:41:53 am »

I'm a canon user.  One has to have faith in "L".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I lost that faith when i came to the letter Z for Zeiss when learning the alphabet ;-)
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

GeneB

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 11:43:40 am »

It's interesting, this internet forum thingy, and how people behave.

Initially, long ago, I began to wonder about Jeff, "what's this guy's attitude problem"?

It was obvious that he knew his stuff and that was how he chose to distribute it.

And of course, that being all I knew about him, it influenced my opinion of him personally. Man, he must be hard to get along with in person.

I guess that's natural.

And then I bought the LR 1 video with he and MR. Instead of being dry and hard to get through, the obvious joy these 2 pros had in each others company made the video a "hit".

And I got a completely different opinion of Mr. Schewe. Let's face it, anyone who rides big bikes has to have an attitude just to stay alive. I found him thoroughly engaging in his presentation of his knowledge of LR.

Now it seems this is influencing my opinion of Jeff in his posts here. As just now, when someone goes after him (justifiably or not), I can't wait to see his response.

You go guy!  

Gene

stamper

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 12:11:19 pm »

There are certain persons that he obviously doesn't practice his rudeness on Persons that are useful to him! I have been targeted by him for no good reason as others have He can switch it on and off when it suits him so it must deliberate on his part The last poster has become a fan but not everyone will

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 01:55:44 pm »

I for one will never again buy from LL anything Jeff Schewe is associated with, nor will I buy any of his books.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219241\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To use a common quote of Jeff's "in the grand scheme of things..." it will not matter a lick.

And you're simply throwing away the baby with the bath water with such an attitude although if you feel this is somehow punishing Jeff, go ahead. While you may not like his tone, the information he has exchanged over the years, either freely or in books and video's is indispensable to the industry.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:56:45 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mbridgers

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 02:29:27 pm »

I'm not trying to "punish" Jeff.  I know that the dollar or two that he's not getting becuase I won't buy a book or video isn't going to send him to the unemployment line.  It's like going to a restaurant where the food is great, but the surly servers ruin the experience.  I vote with my money, and don't go back.  With Jeff, the information is great, but the attitude is too much.  I learn, but don't enjoy the experience.  There are too many other outlets -- like Martin Evening's excellent book on Lightroom 2.

Telling a noted photographer and fellow contributer to this site to go play in traffic is, to say the least, rude.  It was uncalled for in the context of the now-deleted post from Nick Rains.  It is also not the first time Jeff has, in my opinion, attacked someone, when a more tactful approach would be appropriate.  

Jeff is who he is, but in a business when your name is everything I'd think it is to your advantage not to have potential clients see this kind of stuff in a Google search.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 05:51:57 pm »

Jeff is who he is, but in a business when your name is everything I'd think it is to your advantage not to have potential clients see this kind of stuff in a Google search.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=219677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just to be perfectly clear, this is not a business to and for me. If I were to run my life around a business, I may indeed have a different approach and philosophy but I really, really don't have to worry about that. I could quit now and retire into obscurity and never have to work another day in my life. Not unlike Michael, I really, really don't care about what people think about me. And while you may not believe that, you can be assured that it's absolutely true. I really don't care if you never buy anything I ever do. In a small way I'm actually pleased that such a tightarse as yourself will NOT be getting the benefits of my efforts. But I really don't care a whit.

What I DO care about are many of the issues facing the industry, striving to do better work and to learn. That and having fun and enjoying life. Part of the enjoyment in my life is to pass stuff along to other people but on the terms that I set. If you don't like the way I approach my life, fine, go away and make YOUR life easier by not dealing with anything you don't like...but you can take it to the bank I couldn't care less.

Have a nice life...(and don't let the door hit ya on the butt as you go out the door).

:~)

Del

Nick Rains' Post Deleted
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 06:03:49 pm »

Gandhi had it right.

"... There have been tyrants... and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS.”

All he really accomplishes is to prevent others as he has me, from participating in what should be a civil discourse. Not that I fear his boorishness, only that I choose not to be victimized by it.
Del
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up