Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome  (Read 5184 times)

michael

Welcome
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:34:40 am »

Welcome. This forum is created for discussions relating to the new generation of DSLRs with integrated video capability. It also includes video cameras with integrated stills capability.

Discussions of both equipment and technique are welcome.

Michael
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:35:17 am by michael »

canmiya

• beyond stills
Welcome
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:44:39 pm »

Welcome. This forum is created for discussions relating to the new generation of DSLRs with integrated video capability. It also includes video cameras with integrated stills capability.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
two thumbs up! an excellent idea and thanks for the "understanding video" article!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Welcome
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:10:40 pm »

Yes, thanks!

My son is in the movie industry and while he mostly does rigging and lighting he also does camera and DP work for independent films.  Now I'll be able to understand more of what he's talking about...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

apq65

Welcome
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:47:37 pm »

My 5 cents: There is no question that video adds several dimensions to imaging that still photography typically lacks (time, sound, narration etc). I actually came to photography from film, many years ago. I assume it is still fair to say that the material (incl $$) and time effort to obtain a semi-professional product is many orders of magnitude higher for video than for still photography, especially in the areas of nature and travel videography. Good sound recording alone requires lots of experience and attention, and a dedicated person to handle it on location. I believe video has to be done on a professional full-time level to get satisfactory results which is quite different for still photography. Considering that many photographers, especially in the landscape/architecture/travel field, are perfectionists who won't accept the typcially home-video quality, I can't see a large migration from still photography to video in these areas. News reporting/sports/event photographers will certainly benefit from these merging technologies and drive hardware development as they have in the past.

Dan Carter

Welcome
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:51:31 pm »

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for a great article Michael. I've been experimenting with video for 5 years and had given up due to what I perceived as poor quality. That is until watching your LLVJ on Antarctica. Halfway through the first segment I was struck by the great video quality, then became totally focused on it.

After some research (and your recommendation) I purchased a Sony HDR-SR11 and an very pleased the the video quality it produces.

I am now looking forward to watching this forum evolve as the Nikon D90 gets into the hands of users.
Pages: [1]   Go Up