Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Works IIb  (Read 150351 times)

jmvdigital

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 125
    • http://www.jmvdigital.com
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #300 on: October 16, 2008, 06:34:01 pm »

Quote from: dustblue
I think we should start another thread for posting professional works in this forum, with some new rules.
This thread is dying, and smelly.

Lol. Agreed. Let's take what we learned here and start over fresh.
Logged
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2008, 06:58:17 pm »

Quote from: dustblue
I think we should start another thread for posting professional works in this forum, with some new rules.
This thread is dying, and smelly.

Rules ? Dustblue, with the greatest courtesy, if you want to dictate rules please stand for election first.
This used to be a fairly free forum because Michael kept it this way. If you don't like my medium format images and want to dictate rules please go somewhere else, thank you.

Edmund
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

vandevanterSH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2008, 07:14:12 pm »

Antelope Canyon, three days ago[attachment=8979:Zion.jpg]
Logged

vandevanterSH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #303 on: October 16, 2008, 07:15:51 pm »

Hmmmmm..I did something wrong, the colors didn't upload properly..Oh well.

Steve
Logged

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2008, 01:31:12 am »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
Hmmmmm..I did something wrong, the colors didn't upload properly..Oh well.

Steve
Still a great image.  Almost has a sepia look to it.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned t

dustblue

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 225
    • http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2008, 01:52:31 am »

every place has it's own rules, not on paper doesn't means they don't exist.
and of coz without election doesn't necessarily means they are not effective.

I like here because here is a free forum, but I'm sure free doesn't means messy, nor it means "everybody come here post your snapshots with your 30k dollar MFDBs."

and you know what? I really don't remember you had post images here in this thread, really. but I do remember a lot of photographers' works, those are stunning, like James Russel's portrait(it's a pity he doesn't post his works any more, be it personal reasons or something else.), Rainer's architecture, kipling, Graham, Frank Doorhof, Andre Napier...and a great car shooter(I bet he is among the greatest car shooters in this world) I don't remember his name, which is a shame on me. and a lot more, it's hard to recall all the names at one time.

but I can't remember those snapshots. can you?

It's very good we have a thread like this here, which people could post everything he/she shoots, go on, keep free, nothing wrong.

for me, I just miss the original post, if it died, we can make a new one.

and please eronald, Do share your professional works there(you ARE a professional right?), coz nobody will ask you to "go somewhere else".

most sincerely,
dustblue





Quote from: eronald
Rules ? Dustblue, with the greatest courtesy, if you want to dictate rules please stand for election first.
This used to be a fairly free forum because Michael kept it this way. If you don't like my medium format images and want to dictate rules please go somewhere else, thank you.

Edmund

Dale Allyn

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 225
    • http://www.daleallynphoto.com
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2008, 02:06:22 am »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
Hmmmmm..I did something wrong, the colors didn't upload properly..Oh well.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Your file has a colorsync profile of ProPhoto RGB attached, so for "non-color space-aware" browsers it will look a bit "off". Saving the file with sRGB profile should solve the problem for browsers which don't accommodate other profiles. In PS CS3 it's under the Edit menu near the bottom. "Save for Web" does it too, but I don't use that tool.

Cheers,

Dale
Logged

Graham Mitchell

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2281
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2008, 04:10:25 am »

So where do we post images which are not commercial, but are still interesting?

Some commercial jobs are incredibly dull, whereas some personal work is fantastic. I don't think 'commercial' is really the best requirement. I do agree that some of the happy snaps which were being posted let down the quality of the thread.

I took a photo of this car in my street. It is a stitched pano made of 18 images, taken at f2.8 with an 80mm lens. This gives a pretty unique look.

Do you prefer colour or b&w?



Logged

dustblue

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 225
    • http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2008, 04:38:22 am »

Great shot Graham.

You are right, some personal works are great, even better than commissioned works. In fact Art Buyers and Art Directors always ask for personal works if he/she wants to know a photographer better, and on most photographers' website we can see their personal works, as a self promotion part(or not).

The problem is not about commercial or personal, it's about serious works or snap shots. It's about the quality of the pictures.

People make their own choices, and most of the time the majority rules. So if the majority like to take snap shots and like to post them here, they'll rules. The cost is the professionals leave(I think this is exactly the situation here in this thread right now).

So I start the other thread
"Recent Professional Works"
In case people want to post works in a more specific thread.

btw I always like your personal works Graham, they are very moody, and have a unique style of youself.

Sincerely
Dustblue

 



Quote from: foto-z
So where do we post images which are not commercial, but are still interesting?

Some commercial jobs are incredibly dull, whereas some personal work is fantastic. I don't think 'commercial' is really the best requirement. I do agree that some of the happy snaps which were being posted let down the quality of the thread.

I took a photo of this car in my street. It is a stitched pano made of 18 images, taken at f2.8 with an 80mm lens. This gives a pretty unique look.

Do you prefer colour or b&w?



AndrewDyer

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 125
    • http://www.andrewdyer.com
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2008, 04:44:45 am »

Hey Graham... that is fantastic.... What an excellent idea and execution!!
Not sure which one I like best, as usually I prefer colour... not a big Black and white fan, but they both look great.
Love it!
Andrew
Logged
Andrew
 ht

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2008, 04:53:43 am »

Dustblue,

 If you want to keep the discussion on topic - ie ask people to post images - welcome. As you will see above, when certain members of the forum had a personal discussion, I asked them to just post images here. However, if you now turn round and want to designate yourself as an appointed image critic or image censor on the basis of "Rules", well then I believe you will need a mandate to do so.



Edmund

Quote from: dustblue
every place has it's own rules, not on paper doesn't means they don't exist.
and of coz without election doesn't necessarily means they are not effective.

I like here because here is a free forum, but I'm sure free doesn't means messy, nor it means "everybody come here post your snapshots with your 30k dollar MFDBs."

and you know what? I really don't remember you had post images here in this thread, really. but I do remember a lot of photographers' works, those are stunning, like James Russel's portrait(it's a pity he doesn't post his works any more, be it personal reasons or something else.), Rainer's architecture, kipling, Graham, Frank Doorhof, Andre Napier...and a great car shooter(I bet he is among the greatest car shooters in this world) I don't remember his name, which is a shame on me. and a lot more, it's hard to recall all the names at one time.

but I can't remember those snapshots. can you?

It's very good we have a thread like this here, which people could post everything he/she shoots, go on, keep free, nothing wrong.

for me, I just miss the original post, if it died, we can make a new one.

and please eronald, Do share your professional works there(you ARE a professional right?), coz nobody will ask you to "go somewhere else".

most sincerely,
dustblue
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

dustblue

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 225
    • http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2008, 05:09:34 am »

wow, you are really amazing.
DO ask the pros post here, please, let's see what you can do. or just post YOUR works here, are they some kind of rotten fruit with flys around them too?

And to be clear, no one is designated as an "appointed image critic", and when a thread starter wants to have a discussion about a BMW car, then no one wanna discuss his wife's dress in that thread, this is also a hidden rule, and everyone accept it(maybe except you?)


Quote from: eronald
Dustblue,

 If you want to keep the discussion on topic - ie ask people to post images - welcome. As you will see above, when certain members of the forum had a personal discussion, I asked them to just post images here. However, if you now turn round and want to designate yourself as an appointed image critic or image censor on the basis of "Rules", well then I believe you will need a mandate to do so.



Edmund

froesner

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 56
    • http://images.luiroq.com
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2008, 05:25:41 am »

Quote from: foto-z
Do you prefer colour or b&w?

Great image Graham ... love it

& for this particuliar one I like colour more

Best / Frank
Logged

tho_mas

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1799
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2008, 05:41:29 am »

Quote from: foto-z
Some commercial jobs are incredibly dull, whereas some personal work is fantastic. I don't think 'commercial' is really the best requirement.
Quote from: dustblue
The problem is not about commercial or personal, it's about serious works or snap shots. It's about the quality of the pictures.
People make their own choices, and most of the time the majority rules. So if the majority like to take snap shots and like to post them here, they'll rules. The cost is the professionals leave(I think this is exactly the situation here in this thread right now).
Understand both positions and arguments. Both true from my point of view.
Why not split two threads in "commercial works" (commissioned) and "personal works".
Both can be "professional" (in "dustblues" sense of "serious") and therefore I think the title of the new thread is choosen (a bit) unfelicitous. But thus no reason to change it ;-)

(The "quality" of both the threads will depend on the quality of the pictures as well as on the quality of comments. "Nice shot!" is pleasant... but meaningless)
Logged

simplify

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 201
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2008, 05:52:45 am »

I think one good rule is the one I implemented when I started the original Recent Works thread under the screen name jpjespersen– post your images as THUMBNAILS ONLY, it seems like the people with the poorest quality images are the ones who post them the largest.  Please just let LL create the thumbnail and if people think it is worthy of a click, they will do so.
Logged

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #315 on: October 17, 2008, 05:52:58 am »

We had a very nice thread, with plenty of interesting images, it got closed for technical reasons.
We then had a new thread whose images seem to have solicited less interest.
Now we have some self-appointed critic who take it upon himself to invoke some "Rules " (about esthetics ?) question people whether they are professional photographers and to indicate that their images are worthless. At this point a line has been crossed. Something is going wrong here, and a tradition of live and let live which we had in this forum has been breached. If somebody posts images which I find uninteresting rather than offensive, I just scroll the page, I don't try to get them barred.

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:54:05 am by eronald »
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

thsinar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2066
    • http://www.sinarcameras.com
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2008, 05:56:30 am »

Nice shot, Graham!

I personally prefer the colour one.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: foto-z
Do you prefer colour or b&w?
Logged
Thierry Hagenauer
[email protected]

roskav

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 254
    • http://www.roskavanagh.com
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2008, 07:54:52 am »

Love that shot Graham... is it just because we photographers are used to seeing a certain depth of field on wide angle images that makes this look like it's a little model car on a diorama... and do you think that an average passer by on the street would look at it the same way?  Or am I just going a little monitor crazy here.  (stitching lots of images with louvers in them and my eyes are starting to freak out)

Ros

Logged

dustblue

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 225
    • http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2008, 08:00:31 am »

to Thomas:
I guess your idea is good. Right now for my understanding this original recent works thread has nothing wrong except people post too many happy snap shots here---but I absolutely agree that people have the right to do so---so I think defining this thread as a personal works thread is of coz ok, but who knows if it gonna be drowned by happy snaps again.

Well I have to say "personal works" in my understanding should be serious, they are"works" anyway, should not be happy snap shots, we have zillions of happy snap shots on the internet, we better not define those as "personal works".

So, my idea about the new "recent professional works" thread is we post our serious works(be it commercial of personal) there and keep it running in a clean way, just like the original"recent works"thread posted months ago.

And make this "Recent Works IIb" as it is, absolutely free. So people still have a place to post pics whenever and whatever he/she wants.


to simplify:
I absolutely agree with you:)





BTW,  all I want to do is to make this forum better, coz I like it here, please don't judge me as if I'm a selfish guy who is full of ego.


Sincerely
Dustblue

tho_mas

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1799
Recent Works IIb
« Reply #319 on: October 17, 2008, 08:48:48 am »

Quote from: dustblue
all I want to do is to make this forum better, coz I like it here, please don't judge me as if I'm a selfish guy who is full of ego.
I got you like that.
Problem is: none would post images in a thread one is not "proud of"  
But if the new thread keeps rolling like started by now... you will not find too many snapshots in that thread but (hopefully) a lot of great works.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Up