Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab/MV/Sedona in December?  (Read 9104 times)

Khurram

Moab/MV/Sedona in December?
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:35:00 am »

I've got to make a business trip to Denver from December 15-19 and wanted to make a side trip to Moab, MV and possibly Sedona before heading back home.  It's been a a couple of years since I've been able to get out to Moab and MV, so i'm itching to go back.

I've been to both in April, June and Sept/Oct but never in December, so I wanted to know what to expect weather wise, as well as what to expect on trails in Moab.

Lastly, how are the highways for the drive between Denver, Moab, MV and Sedona during that time of the year.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

skibum187

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:40:15 pm »

It all depends on the weather. We do tend to start getting heavy snows that time of year. The nice thing about Moab/MV is that the snow melts fairly quickly. It's usually fairly dead that time of year, which is nice. Trails should all be passable with the exception of some of the higher trails up in the La Sals, unless it's been snowing/raining a lot.

The highways are usually fine. The stretch between Moab and Monticello and the area right around Flagstaff/Sedona are the only sections that can be nasty, but still nothing like I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction (which can be a nightmare in bad conditions if it's open at all)

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:35:36 am »

I've been to both in April, June and Sept/Oct but never in December, so I wanted to know what to expect weather wise, as well as what to expect on trails in Moab.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216417\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Moab in December is glorious!  The tourists are all gone and you will likely have even the most popular icons to yourself.  Snow is always a good possibility in December and makes for a lovely contrast against the red rocks.

If we've had snow and/or rain recently you can expect patches of ice on sections of slickrock trail.  It is unforgiving if you don't recognize it.

Plan for cold weather as the temps are routinely below freezing.  If you plan to photograph at Canyonlands - Island in the Sky you should also be prepared for wind as it seems to never cease on the plateau during the winter.  Bring extra batteries.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to email me with additional questions.

Khurram

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:41:17 am »

It all depends on the weather. We do tend to start getting heavy snows that time of year. The nice thing about Moab/MV is that the snow melts fairly quickly. It's usually fairly dead that time of year, which is nice. Trails should all be passable with the exception of some of the higher trails up in the La Sals, unless it's been snowing/raining a lot.

The highways are usually fine. The stretch between Moab and Monticello and the area right around Flagstaff/Sedona are the only sections that can be nasty, but still nothing like I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction (which can be a nightmare in bad conditions if it's open at all)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=218119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the information!  I guess, i need to keep an eye on the highway forecast the day before I finish my work in Denver to make sure if the Highway is open or not.
----

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:46:15 am »

Moab in December is glorious!  The tourists are all gone and you will likely have even the most popular icons to yourself.  Snow is always a good possibility in December and makes for a lovely contrast against the red rocks.

If we've had snow and/or rain recently you can expect patches of ice on sections of slickrock trail.  It is unforgiving if you don't recognize it.

Plan for cold weather as the temps are routinely below freezing.  If you plan to photograph at Canyonlands - Island in the Sky you should also be prepared for wind as it seems to never cease on the plateau during the winter.  Bring extra batteries.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to email me with additional questions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=220293\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Brett,
I appreciate the information you provided!  I've only been to Moab in the spring and fall, but have seen photos of Moab when there is snow, so i'm hoping I can squeeze a short trip in.  I guess the trick is not have so much snows that the highways from Denver are impassible, but just enough to add to the scenery i the parks.

I'll probably take you up on your offer and email you further questions, as i get closer to finalizing my work trip dates.
----

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:53:56 pm »

Here was Red Rock Crossing in Sedona last December 27th:

Red Rock Crossing

It was mid 50's when I took these pictures just before sunset.  We then went to dinner in Sedona and when we got back outside it was 23F.  The temperature can drop FAST there!  BRRRR.

thetravelnut

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 02:18:48 pm »

Quote from: Khurram
I've got to make a business trip to Denver from December 15-19 and wanted to make a side trip to Moab, MV and possibly Sedona before heading back home.  It's been a a couple of years since I've been able to get out to Moab and MV, so i'm itching to go back.

Lastly, how are the highways for the drive between Denver, Moab, MV and Sedona during that time of the year.

Can anyone suggest a one week photographic route to take in Northern Arizona or Southern Utah  with highlights not to be missed?  I'll be leaving from San Diego for a week of photography "somewhere by car".  Zion...Sedona...Moab...?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 03:52:37 pm »

Quote from: thetravelnut
Can anyone suggest a one week photographic route to take in Northern Arizona or Southern Utah  with highlights not to be missed?  I'll be leaving from San Diego for a week of photography "somewhere by car".  Zion...Sedona...Moab...?
I wouldn't presume to suggest a plan for a whole week, but IMHO if you don't go to Bryce Canyon, you're missing a hell of an opportunity. It's gorgeous.

Jeremy

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 05:09:37 pm »

Can anyone suggest a one week photographic route to take in Northern Arizona or Southern Utah with highlights not to be missed? I'll be leaving from San Diego for a week of photography "somewhere by car". Zion...Sedona...Moab...?

Starting in San Diego and having only a week, I'd go for the Grand Canyon (note that the north rim isn't open in winter), Zion & Bryce; those three are clustered pretty well and give a wide range of landscapes.  Moab &  Monument Valley are nice too, but less so that the three I suggested (at least in my opinion), and Moab is much further away from the others.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis
Pages: [1]   Go Up