Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image display on Web with/without profiles  (Read 2976 times)

Andrews

Image display on Web with/without profiles
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:53:52 pm »

Hello all,
I've encountered a problem that I never had before.  I work on files using my calibrated Multisync 2690, embedding tiffs with the Adobe 1998 profile and JPEGs with Srgb 2.1 profile. In the past, saving the JPEGs with the Srgb 2.1 profile gave me pretty accurate colors on the web and in e-mails. Now, when I send an image in an e-mail or upload it to the web, it gains a large amount of contrast and saturation, no matter which profile is embedded. If I save an image with no embedded profile, then it LOSES contrast and saturation on the web or in e-mails. Either way, it's quite different than the image appears when open in PS, or Preview for that matter.

As a test, I opened an image in PS, looked good, and then copied it to an e-mail, where it immediately gained contrast and saturation. I e-mailed myself, and it still looked harsh when in the e-mail. But when I copied it to my desktop and opened it in PS, it was back to normal.

I did change to my new display in March, but I'm not sure if that's when I started noticing this problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

theophilus

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:17:48 pm »

It may be as simple as Photoshop is color-managed, email applications are not.  I don't think you can expect accurate color in an email application.

Andrews

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:18:18 pm »

Theophilus,
Yes, I think you are correct. However, I still need to produce files that look good on the web, so I need to resolve this issue. And I have also tried 'Save for Web' option in PS, with the same results: looks good on my monitor, but as soon as it goes to the web or e-mail, increased saturation and contrast.

theophilus

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:52:24 pm »

I think save for web just strips out all the exif data to make the file smaller.

There is a recent thread here:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=27255

As Michael says, some images just look like crap on the web.
Pages: [1]   Go Up