Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Exposures in Camera: what's going on?  (Read 1439 times)

Samotano

• http://flickr.com/photos/97538742@N00/sets/72157603392490862/
Multiple Exposures in Camera: what's going on?
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:44:13 pm »

I was trying to familiarize myself with the Multiple Exposure mode on the Nikon D3, when I realized I really can't  understand what it does (at the pixel level, not in terms of the resulting effect).  

For those unfamiliar, according to the manual, the Nikon D3 allows to "record a series of two to ten exposures in a single photograph, [...] and produce results with colors noticeably better than photographs combined in an imaging application".

I tried to do some casual experimentation to see what happens when one uses 5 multiple exposures combined in camera compared to a single exposure for a static subject:

I took the resulting raw files (nef) and increased exposure in ACR in order to bring out the noise.  Clearly, there are benefits in terms of noise.  However, I don't understand what exactly happens to the raw files in camera.  Beside some super-secret proprietary algorithm, does anyone have any clue as to how each image is combined?  I wonder if this is equivalent to Guillermo Luijk's Zero Noise technique?
Pages: [1]   Go Up