Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2.0 Edit in CS3 not importing edited file  (Read 5200 times)

ajtaylor

• http://
LR 2.0 Edit in CS3 not importing edited file
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:04:32 pm »

Unless I'm being really stupid, when I click "Edit in CS3" on a NEF, edit in PS, then save/quit PS, LR is not picking up the edited file - no TIF appears. If I do sync folder in Library, then the new TIF gets imported.

1.x didn't do this - is this something in LR2, or is it specific to me?

ajtaylor

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 04:26:18 pm »

Unless I'm being really stupid, when I click "Edit in CS3" on a NEF, edit in PS, then save/quit PS, LR is not picking up the edited file - no TIF appears. If I do sync folder in Library, then the new TIF gets imported.

1.x didn't do this - is this something in LR2, or is it specific to me?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same applies for edit in NoiseNinja or any other - I've ticked the Edit a copy with LR adjustments, and stack with original boxes.

picnic

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:24:51 pm »

Same applies for edit in NoiseNinja or any other - I've ticked the Edit a copy with LR adjustments, and stack with original boxes.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215695\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its an acknowledged bug.  The workaround that works for most people (PC or Mac) is to go to preferences and make your alternative graphic editor be PSCS3--you will get message saying that you already have PSCS3 as your external editor, do you still want to do this.  Say yes LOL.  Then, when you right click to go to external editor, choose photoshop.exe instead of PSCS3.  Then you save in PS, it will go into the right folder and be stacked.

I don't know what to tell you about Noise Ninja--I'd suggest you go to the Adobe user to user forum and ask.  Can you set it up as a plugin/filter within PSCS3?  My NN and NP are both plugins there.

Diane

ajtaylor

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 04:36:25 am »

Its an acknowledged bug.  The workaround that works for most people (PC or Mac) is to go to preferences and make your alternative graphic editor be PSCS3--you will get message saying that you already have PSCS3 as your external editor, do you still want to do this.  Say yes LOL.  Then, when you right click to go to external editor, choose photoshop.exe instead of PSCS3.  Then you save in PS, it will go into the right folder and be stacked.

I don't know what to tell you about Noise Ninja--I'd suggest you go to the Adobe user to user forum and ask.  Can you set it up as a plugin/filter within PSCS3?  My NN and NP are both plugins there.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That works perfectly, thank you. I've setup new presets for NoiseNinja and LensFix (both of which work as PS plugins too, but for speed I tend to prefer the standalone apps), and they work as well now - not sure what was going on there.

Thanks for your help!

photoman10

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:45:28 am »

Its an acknowledged bug.  The workaround that works for most people (PC or Mac) is to go to preferences and make your alternative graphic editor be PSCS3--you will get message saying that you already have PSCS3 as your external editor, do you still want to do this.  Say yes LOL.  Then, when you right click to go to external editor, choose photoshop.exe instead of PSCS3.  Then you save in PS, it will go into the right folder and be stacked.

I don't know what to tell you about Noise Ninja--I'd suggest you go to the Adobe user to user forum and ask.  Can you set it up as a plugin/filter within PSCS3?  My NN and NP are both plugins there.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=215715\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have a similar problem, except when I wish to edit a file in CS3, LR2 opens Photoshop, but a warning dialogue appears in LR2 that "CS3 cannot be launched"
I have done as you suggest, and made Photoshop the alternative editor, and it now works fine-thank you. My only problem now is that the same warning dialogue appears if I want to open an image as a smart object-I would be grateful for any workrounds to that.
Roy
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:16:51 am by photoman10 »

picnic

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:14:35 pm »

I have a similar problem, except when I wish to edit a file in CS3, LR2 opens Photoshop, but a warning dialogue appears in LR2 that "CS3 cannot be launched"
I have done as you suggest, and made Photoshop the alternative editor, and it now works fine-thank you. My only problem now is that the same warning dialogue appears if I want to open an image as a smart object-I would be grateful for any workrounds to that.
Roy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216649\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Roy, I've been following the Adobe user to user forums on this question and, as I understand it, there really isn't one right now for that issue.  One gets the impression that the LR engineers are working vigorously on this problem (various posts and innuendoes) as its fairly important to many LR users and one of the 'big things' about vs. 2.0.  You can't use HDR merge, etc. either  &>(    but I bet a 2.1 is coming soon.

Diane

photoman10

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:55:06 pm »

Roy, I've been following the Adobe user to user forums on this question and, as I understand it, there really isn't one right now for that issue.  One gets the impression that the LR engineers are working vigorously on this problem (various posts and innuendoes) as its fairly important to many LR users and one of the 'big things' about vs. 2.0.  You can't use HDR merge, etc. either  &>(    but I bet a 2.1 is coming soon.

Diane
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Diane, Thanks for that, at least I know that it is not just my machine, I wonder if it is a Vista thing,which is what I am running. At least I can now open a file for editing,and send it back into L.R. Many thanks,
Roy

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 04:09:33 pm »

There is not one single solution right now, but I'll suggest a couple worth trying.

1 - Make sure you are updated to Photoshop to 10.0.1 . If you don't get any error message at all, this may be all you need to do.

2 - If there is a message saying PS CS3 cannot be launched, one possibility is that the Scripting Support plug-in hasn't been updated to 10.0.1 during step 1, whenever you did it. Check this by looking at Photoshop's System Info dialog. If it is still at 10.0.0, one solution is to copy the 10.0.1 plug-in manually from the updater's temporary file. See this thread and in particular this post

John

picnic

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 04:53:01 pm »

There is not one single solution right now, but I'll suggest a couple worth trying.

1 - Make sure you are updated to Photoshop to 10.0.1 . If you don't get any error message at all, this may be all you need to do.

2 - If there is a message saying PS CS3 cannot be launched, one possibility is that the Scripting Support plug-in hasn't been updated to 10.0.1 during step 1, whenever you did it. Check this by looking at Photoshop's System Info dialog. If it is still at 10.0.0, one solution is to copy the 10.0.1 plug-in manually from the updater's temporary file. See this thread and in particular this post

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216732\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
f

John,  on my laptop (which I don't use for processing), PSCS3 is 10.0.01 with ACR 4.5, Vista as OS.  On this Vista machine when I right click and choose 'edit in PSCS3' there is also the choice to choose smart object (others are greyed out I assume because I didn't choose multiple files).  If I just choose CS3, it opens as I assume it is supposed to with no tiff/edit file created.  It opens just fine in PS, but when I save it it saves as a tiff but won't open in LR.  If I ask to see the cr2 file in explorer you can see the tiff there beside the RAW, but not in Lr.  However, if I do the workaround, it opens (after creating a tiff/edit), saves beside the RAW.  As I understood the forum, my problem is the 'normal' one so I haven't looked further.  

I haven't tried opening a file in CS3 on my main computer (XP pro) recently--been using the workaround but I need to try it as I don't even remember whether it wouldn't launch or just wouldn't save in LR.  I just assumed there were so many issues the same as mine I should just wait for the fix and continue with the workaround.  Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks always for your input.

Diane
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:54:34 pm by picnic »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:04:07 pm »

Definitely check if the ScriptingSupport plugin is 10.0.1. Maybe I wasn't clear, but Photoshop can be updated to 10.0.1 while leaving the plugin stuck at 10.0.0. That's why one needs to check the System Info dialog. The problem affected my main PC (but not my other PC or Mac) throughout the beta process and we were never able to isolate the issue. My feeling is that there are a few  small issues. Once you're through them, it's happy days.

John

picnic

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 09:41:52 am »

Definitely check if the ScriptingSupport plugin is 10.0.1. Maybe I wasn't clear, but Photoshop can be updated to 10.0.1 while leaving the plugin stuck at 10.0.0. That's why one needs to check the System Info dialog. The problem affected my main PC (but not my other PC or Mac) throughout the beta process and we were never able to isolate the issue. My feeling is that there are a few  small issues. Once you're through them, it's happy days.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=216741\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John, I have just tried my XP Pro system (main computer) and checked the system info in PS.  It is 10.0.01.  When I choose PSCS3 as editor it opens to PS immediately (no tiff file prepared) and will save as a tiff in the correct folder but it will not show nor stack in LR 2.0.  My own workaround for now is just to import the file and it correctly aligns beside the CR2 file.  I assume there isn't anything else I can do (but probably should have just synced the folder instead of importing).  

If they get this fixed and other small ones, this version will be a true winner for me--well, it is now.  I just really (big L) like LR 2.0 (I could almost go as far as LOVE it LOL).

Diane

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:45:23 am »

I have the same issue.  LR2 "edit in CS3" brings up CS3 but no file to edit.

XP Pro SP3

Yes, scripting support is 10.0.1
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 11:32:12 am »

That's definitely the right version of the plug-in, but as I said, my feeling is that there are a few small issues so it's something else that's affecting you. I'd recommend you look through the other ideas mentioned in that Adobe forums thread.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up