Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 300mm f4 IS lens & Monopod?  (Read 5693 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

300mm f4 IS lens & Monopod?
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:35:53 pm »

I recently purchased a used Canon 300 mm f4 IS lens (beautiful condition--looks unused), with the idea of using it for side line HS football (along with a 135 f2, and 70~200). The original instructions say to turn the IS to "off" when using a tripod. Does anyone know if I can leave it "on" with a monopod? I have a 500 f4 IS lens, and it's instructions also said to turn the IS to "off", with a tripod, but in fact it works beautifully with a tripod and IS "on". I understand the 300 f4 IS is an earlier technolohgy than my relativel recently purchased 500mm. Thanks in advance  
Dave Gurtcheff
www.modernpictorials.com

Leethal

• http://leethal.smugmug.com
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:35:45 pm »

Hey Dave,
 I use my 300 f4 IS lens with a monopod quite frequently. Also with a 1.4x converter.
 I leave the IS on while on the monopod, but turn it off while using a tripod.
 Hope that helps you.
 Cheers,   Lee
[url=http://homepage.mac.com/leerollwitz

BruceHouston

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:09:43 am »

Hello Dave,

The Canon instructions for my 70-200 f/4 IS also say to turn off IS when tripod-mounted.  As I mentioned in another thread, it appears to me that Canon is assuming that camera shake is extremely low or non-existent with a tripod mount configuration.  If that were true, it might be better to turn IS off to avoid the unlikely possibility that the gyro feedback system decides to change the active lens element angle at precisely the time when the shutter is open.  A more technical explanation is that electronic (or in this case, electro-optical) feedback systems constantly "hunt" around the ideal setting (in this case the active lens element position that results in a zero error (feedback) signal at a time when the gyros register zero acceleration).  Turning IS off freezes the active lens element in a fixed position.  Theoretically this would provide a rock-solid image provided that the camera is absolutely fixed relative to the scene.

In reality, though, the image can be quite unstable with a tripod-mounted long lens.  In my experience, camera shake with my 70-200 at 200 mm with 1.4x converter on my 40D (200 x 1.4 x 1.6 = 448 mm) is on average high enough to benefit from the IS system being active.  I conclude that any blur introduced by the IS system is much smaller than the tripod-mount camera shake due to wind, mirror locked-up shutter release, etc.  Thus, I ignore what seems to me to be a misguided instruction in the IS manual.  It could be, as you suggest, that the IS systems in older Canon lenses are not as stable, and that Canon has simply carried the old text forward to the new manuals.

stever

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 02:07:11 am »

yes, for the old desigh 300, leave it on with a monopod.  still trying to figure out if it consistently makes any difference with a tripod

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:34:10 pm »

Thanks all for your help. I will shoot with monopod and IS on.
Dave

Hello Dave,

The Canon instructions for my 70-200 f/4 IS also say to turn off IS when tripod-mounted.  As I mentioned in another thread, it appears to me that Canon is assuming that camera shake is extremely low or non-existent with a tripod mount configuration.  If that were true, it might be better to turn IS off to avoid the unlikely possibility that the gyro feedback system decides to change the active lens element angle at precisely the time when the shutter is open.  A more technical explanation is that electronic (or in this case, electro-optical) feedback systems constantly "hunt" around the ideal setting (in this case the active lens element position that results in a zero error (feedback) signal at a time when the gyros register zero acceleration).  Turning IS off freezes the active lens element in a fixed position.  Theoretically this would provide a rock-solid image provided that the camera is absolutely fixed relative to the scene.

In reality, though, the image can be quite unstable with a tripod-mounted long lens.  In my experience, camera shake with my 70-200 at 200 mm with 1.4x converter on my 40D (200 x 1.4 x 1.6 = 448 mm) is on average high enough to benefit from the IS system being active.  I conclude that any blur introduced by the IS system is much smaller than the tripod-mount camera shake due to wind, mirror locked-up shutter release, etc.  Thus, I ignore what seems to me to be a misguided instruction in the IS manual.  It could be, as you suggest, that the IS systems in older Canon lenses are not as stable, and that Canon has simply carried the old text forward to the new manuals.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214937\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

scottw

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:21:56 pm »

The reason for tuning it off on a tripod is that with IS on it will slowly drift, this should not be an issue if you are shooting faster then say 1/30 sec, at exposures of 1 second it can ruin the photo.  I would leave it on when using a monopod since it is unlikely you would be shooting with real long shutter times and also unlikely you can hold it very still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up