Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2.0 Problems With Phase One P45+ Files  (Read 2255 times)

Mort54

• http://
LR 2.0 Problems With Phase One P45+ Files
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:36:04 pm »

I've just run some P45+ files thru LR 2.0 for the first time - what a disaster. I've always loved the way LR 1.4.1 handled my P45+ files. I liked the results I got, and the application was very fast. But with version 2.0, it's a whole other story. It now takes 15 to 30 seconds to open a file. Under 1.4.1, it took 2 or 3 seconds. Once the file is open, I can no longer click with the cursor to zoom in to 100% - a shortcut I use all the time. Everything happens in slow motion. I get the spinning beach ball (Mac system) roughly 50% of the time. For me, LR 2.0 is totally unusable with my P45+ files. Has anyone else seen a major slowdown using LR 2?

I'm running on a quad core Mac Pro, running at 3 Ghz, with 4 GB of RAM. I'm running OS X 10.4.11. I first noticed an annoying slowdown with my Nikon NEF files, but it was still useable. But with the Phase files, things have gotten pathetic. Adobe, what have you done to my favorite app?

I've asked about the slowdown of LR 2 on other forums, but haven't really gotten a definitive answer. When I saw the slow down with my Nikon files, I started to suspect that LR2 doesn't play well on OS X 10.4. Others who were running it on 10.5 reported that LR2 seemed faster on their machines.

Does anyone have any insight into what's going on? Jeff? Michael? Anybody? I'm not really a fan of Capture One and I don't wan't to abandon LR for my P45+ files, but as things stand now, LR 2 is just totally unusable.

P.S. I've optimized my library. That seemed to help a little bit - at least my zoom cursor is working again. Things are still agonizingly slow, tho slightly better than before (if that makes sense). I checked memory usage. LR 2 is using 801 MB of real memory, and 1282 MB of virtual memory.  That seems pretty high, even given it's processing P45+ files. I have my LR 2 cache size to 1.5 GB, and the app is reporting a memory cache size of 455 MB. Previews are NOT being generated at the time I'm seeing this slowdown (when previews are beging generated, I might as well just go make coffee, because the app basically becomes non-responsive).

P.P.S. For anyone who replies, could you indicate whether you see a speedup or slowdown with LR2, which OS you are using, how much RAM you have in your machine, and what you have your LR 2 cache set to (it's under Lightroom -> Preferences -> File Handling .... in the box at the bottom of the dialog).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:10:30 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

Mort54

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:52:38 pm »

Just a follow-up with some useful information:

I got a response from Jeff Schewe to a similar thread on the Lightroom forum. He thinks running LR 2.0 on Mac OS X 10.4 will result in a significant performance hit. I think it's time to upgrade to 10.5.

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 11:07:06 pm »

Just a follow-up with some useful information:

I got a response from Jeff Schewe to a similar thread on the Lightroom forum. He thinks running LR 2.0 on Mac OS X 10.4 will result in a significant performance hit. I think it's time to upgrade to 10.5.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=214172\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't tried LR 2.0 but if it takes that big of a hit on 10.4, there really should be a warning before downloading.

That's a huge slowdown.

JR

Mort54

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:04:47 am »

I haven't tried LR 2.0 but if it takes that big of a hit on 10.4, there really should be a warning before downloading.
I've been reading threads on Adobe's own Lightroom forum, and it appears a lot of people are seeing significant slowdowns with version 2, on both OS X 10.4 as well as 10.5. So it would appear 10.5 isn't a cure all after all. It may help alleviate some of the symptoms, but apparently doesn't solve the general slowdown you get with version 2.

Jeff posted on the Adobe Lightroom forum as well, and suggested 10.5 will help IF you have lots of RAM. 10.5 lets LR 2 run in 64-bit mode, and that lets the app access more RAM (if you have more RAM). Jeff also reported LR 2 was running a bit faster on his 10.5 system, but he's got 16 GB of RAM on his machine.

I think I'm going to wait a few more days before I upgrade to 10.5.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:07:28 am by Mort54 »

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:15:11 am »

LR 2.0 is running faster for me, or I should say seems faster since I haven't timed anything.  It used to be really slow even to just get a preview at 100% with the phase files.   I'm running 10.5.4 on an older 2.5 Quad (non intel) with 10 gb ram.
Rolleiflex USA

Jann Lipka

• http://www.lipka.se
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:53:47 am »

LR2 works much faster on my 8Core/10.5.4  then historic LR1.4.
(on P45+ files ) .
With  old 10.4 I would probably stay with old software .
Pages: [1]   Go Up