Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new .jpg image w/ no color profile  (Read 5265 times)

mbalensiefer

new .jpg image w/ no color profile
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:45:46 am »

Hello!
 I am scanning images with my Epson scanner. When I open the images with Photoshop I am asked for a color profile because there is no color profile assigned. Can you tell me what I need to do to assign a/the color profile I am trying to assign?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:05:23 am »

I don't know what model Epson scanner you are using, but the scanner itself should allow you to select a colour working space profile at the scan stage itself, for example sRGB, Adobe RGB(98), ProPhoto RGB. If you were to scan your images with one of these profiles embedded in the scan, you would not get this warning from Photoshop. Depending on what you are scanning, the recommended colour space in the scan could differ, so I won't make any firm recommendations because I don't know enough about what you are doing. That said, it is probably safe to scan your images in Adobe RGB(98). If you cannot select a colour working space for the scanner, then the Photoshop dialogue warning you of a missing profile gives you a drop down menu for selecting the colour space - all of the above choices would be there, with same tentative recommendation.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mbalensiefer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 12:37:02 am »

Thank you, Mark!!

What utility can/should I use to re-edit each of my past photos with this profile? (I was using RGB)

And--this is an important question: will doing this "destructively" edit all of my .jpgs? If so, I won't do this for old photos.

Michael

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:10:05 pm »

Thank you, Mark!!

What utility can/should I use to re-edit each of my past photos with this profile? (I was using RGB)

And--this is an important question: will doing this "destructively" edit all of my .jpgs? If so, I won't do this for old photos.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Michael, In Photoshop you should be able to convert your previous images to your working space of choice. As far as I know this is not a destructive operation - but one thing to be mindful of. I would recommend NOT using ProPhoto RGB for 8-bit JPEGs. Use either sRGB or preferably Adobe RGB(98).
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up