Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic LX3  (Read 32681 times)

dalethorn

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2008, 07:00:15 pm »

I ordered mine last week and they say it will ship by the end of next week.  Whenever it does come in, I'll get some real images posted - things I can compare to other compacts to see if it's really that much improved.

Chris C

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 11:56:07 pm »

I ordered mine last week and they say it will ship by the end of next week.  Whenever it does come in, I'll get some real images posted - things I can compare to other compacts to see if it's really that much improved.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll be anxious to see your results.  I'm not ready to spend the bucks just to see how much it's improved over the LX 2.  Looks good, you go first!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:56:30 pm by Chris C »

sabatia

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 04:01:42 pm »

I have been a pretty serious photographer for a long time and a lover of beautiful (expensive!) things as well. I recently got rid of my Contax G2 Black, which deserved a place in the Museum of Modern Art and also the museum of instantly obsolete high tech film excellence.

I was attracted by the LX1 and 2 and their Leica counterparts. In concept, they are the first p&s cameras I've considered since I went DSLR. But for those of us who are more interested in the picture than the specs, Panasonic and Leica have let us down and cost themselves mucho sales because the fundamentals were not there behind all the other pro-ness and polish. Maybe I'm just spoiled --I'm now on my 4th Canon dSLR.

If this camera does not make beautiful images--not just tolerable images--from iso100 to iso400, these companies will miss the mark again. If third time is the charm, this will be my first proud Panisonic camera purchase.

mrleonard

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 11:09:33 pm »

I was attracted by the LX1 and 2 and their Leica counterparts. In concept, they are the first p&s cameras I've considered since I went DSLR. But for those of us who are more interested in the picture than the specs, Panasonic and Leica have let us down and cost themselves mucho sales because the fundamentals were not there behind all the other pro-ness and polish. Maybe I'm just spoiled --I'm now on my 4th Canon dSLR.

If this camera does not make beautiful images--not just tolerable images--from iso100 to iso400, these companies will miss the mark again. If third time is the charm, this will be my first proud Panisonic camera purchase.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well...you may have been attracted,but you don't know what you're talking about. Having owned both the LX1 and LX2 as well as Canon G9 and Ricoh GX100, I can tell you that a lot of images I shot with them were a lot better than just tolerable.

The LX3 is a great improvement on an already great series of cameras.
Howlong are people going to keep bitching about noise that is in ALL p&s cameras? The best quality image..is the best one you took because you  had a camera on you. An LX3 you can carry all the time!

dalethorn

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 08:52:42 am »

.....If this camera does not make beautiful images--not just tolerable images--from iso100 to iso400, these companies will miss the mark again.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you're looking at technical quality, I dunno - Venus engine, anyone?  But if you're looking at the actual image quality at medium print size (say, 8x12) I think most people will be pleased.  Panasonic has gotten a lot better with their recent cameras.

Chris C

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 09:28:12 am »

I shot a camera professionally for 27 years.  Put away my Hassleblad and 4 x 5 equipment in the closet back around 1991.  Purchased my first DSLR about 4 years ago, a D70, and even though I was terribly disappointed in the quality of the image, I was amazed at the freedom it allowed. It has been a lot of fun to mess with, though.  I've even found myself lusting over Nikon's new D700!  But as the years have rolled by, my photography has gone from 24" x 30" salon prints to snapshots of travel pics, grandkids, and the like.  It's getting to the point even the D70 is a burden to mess with and I find myself just setting it on Auto-everything much of the time.  When I started reading about this new LX3 I looked seriously at my work and realized the largest print I'm likely to make in my future will be on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of photo paper, so why do I need a camera that costs several thousand dollars.  Heck, none of my recent work is going to end up in the Louvre, after all!!!!!  The LX3, if it turns out to do what Panasonic is claiming, might really satisfy my requirements.

dalethorn

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 11:39:04 pm »

The LX3 will be great for wide shots, but useless for many pics that require significant zoom.  So I'm resigned to carrying 2 small cameras (still *much* better than a big camera with a huge zoom lens).

Chris C

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 02:10:34 pm »

That's why it's so good there are so many cameras on the market.  I have very little use for telephoto lenses and prefer the wide angle.  So the LX3 would be right up my alley.

mrleonard

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 07:17:45 pm »

I ordered mine last week and they say it will ship by the end of next week.  Whenever it does come in, I'll get some real images posted - things I can compare to other compacts to see if it's really that much improved.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=212437\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where from? I want one ASAP as well....It seems B&H dont ship 'til sep.

dalethorn

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 10:34:11 pm »

Where from? I want one ASAP as well....It seems B&H dont ship 'til sep.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I got my last  cam from J&R - they were earlier than the rest, they charged full price, they're reliable, and they provide genuine Panasonic batteries, which I always get extras of.  BTW, the perfect carrycase I've found is the Coach "clutch" bag, which fits into a shirt pocket with LX3 or TZ5 inside. $60 u.s.

mrleonard

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 10:18:51 am »

I got my last  cam from J&R - they were earlier than the rest, they charged full price, they're reliable, and they provide genuine Panasonic batteries, which I always get extras of.  BTW, the perfect carrycase I've found is the Coach "clutch" bag, which fits into a shirt pocket with LX3 or TZ5 inside. $60 u.s.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213096\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like the look of the leather case that comes with the LX3...I was looking for such a case for my LX2 ,as I think that's the best design for having the camera around your neck and at the ready.

Chris C

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 04:56:45 pm »

Not sure I understand why, but the last two posts in this thread haven't shown up on the list of posts!!!!!  ( from dalethorn and mrleonard ) Wonder if this one will?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 04:57:49 pm by Chris C »

dalethorn

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 06:06:38 pm »

Not sure I understand why, but the last two posts in this thread haven't shown up on the list of posts!!!!!  ( from dalethorn and mrleonard ) Wonder if this one will?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=213258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
When I click the URL I get in email, the latest posts show, but when I browse the forum from LL, often they don't because my mobile browser just reads the cache without refreshing.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
Panasonic LX3
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 01:47:53 pm »

One of the major problems with the LX 1 to LX 2 "upgrade" was the fact that there was a noise algorithm embedded into the RAW files at iso 200 and above. The problem was that the improved noise  was at the expense of detail.  I was disappointed because I did a good job of getting rid of noise -- using noise ninja and I could control how much detail I might want to sacrifice in terms of less noise. I did not like that even with the RAW images--- I had no control.

I have found some full file jpg images at iso 80 to 3200 but again all jpg in origin. I really would like to get a hold of some RAW images.  The iso 800 images made in jpg seemed to have similar detail as the iso 100 images but there were many jpg artifacts in the higher iso examples.  So I am cautiously optimistic but want to see the output first.

This site is the most interesting where i can find some full file examples
http://www.seriouscompacts.com/search/label/Panasonic%20LX3
THere are some iso1600 RAW examples with and without silkypix NR applied. In my mind i am not sure I would accept the iso 1600 as usable based on what I am seeing here.. Maybe small prints.  However, I would like to see some 800 RAW images.  The jpg RAW examples shown at this site has too many jpg artifacts but gives me hope the RAW with selective NR might be more reasonable
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:04:33 pm by MarkKay »

dalethorn

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 12:46:42 am »

I don't have the LX3 yet, but I've shot several thousand RAW's with the Pana FZ50.  That camera has in-camera noise reduction control, high, std., low, and with low, I don't seem to get any of the nasty stuff that other Pana's get shooting JPG only.  I assume the LX3 will allow the same for RAW images.

LA30

Panasonic LX3
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 07:12:27 pm »

Ordered mine from Panasonic today.  When I get it I will post a few photo from it.

Ken

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Panasonic LX3
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 09:26:57 pm »

I had a series of Olympus and then Canon P&S digicams. For the past year, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX50 has been my P&S of choice, replacing my Canon PowerShot SD700IS.  The Panasonic has been my best P&S to date.

I really like the look and feature set of the new LX3, the most notable being RAW capability. But, P&S digicams should be able to slip into a shirt pocket. I think that the protruding lens on the LX3 will make it bulky. We'll see.

I heard that there is a hack for Canon P&S cams that allows it to shoot RAW. Has anyone checked this out?

Bud James
North Wales, PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up