Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS MK3 Extended Warranties: RECOMMENDED?  (Read 3916 times)

nmccalip

1DS MK3 Extended Warranties: RECOMMENDED?
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:05:21 pm »

I am curious if any of you purchased an extended warranty from your retailer? Which one did you choose, how much did you pay, and have you used your warranty yet?

They're not that usefull if you have to fight to get your contract honored.

As an example:

Bh has a 3 year extended warranty for $600. Accidental damage, lemon camera protection, free overnight shipping to repair center.

Calumet has one but offers no details.

I will add a replacement value rider to my home insurance before I purchase but was wondering if any of you see the value of extended warranty protection as well.

Many thanks

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:03:12 am »

I am curious if any of you purchased an extended warranty from your retailer? Which one did you choose, how much did you pay, and have you used your warranty yet?

They're not that usefull if you have to fight to get your contract honored.

As an example:
Bh has a 3 year extended warranty for $600. Accidental damage, lemon camera protection, free overnight shipping to repair center.

Calumet has one but offers no details.
I will add a replacement value rider to my home insurance before I purchase but was wondering if any of you see the value of extended warranty protection as well.

Many thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209454\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I purchased an extended warranty through the retailer when I bought the original Eos-1Ds the moment it was released. In retrospect I shouldn't have bothered, as it continues to work perfectly 6 years later despite some fairly rough use, including routinely shooting in the rain. I recently had it converted to infra-red capture, after realizing I wasn't using it anymore; now it has a new lease on life. I didn't bother getting an extended warranty with the 1Ds III.

I think it depends on how you use it. If you're shooting 100,000 frames a year and may actually wear out things like the shutter, it probably makes sense to spring for the extended warranty, especially if this covers mishaps like dropping it in water. On the other hand, if you're mostly a hobbyist shooting more like a few thousand frames a year, you're unlikely to have anything fail during the life of the warranty. Just my 2 cents; YMMV.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 06:45:47 pm »

Never bought an extended warranty for anything, ever, and as a result I have probably saved enough to purchase a new version of the first thing that really does go wrong! Possibly just lucky, but that influences my view of extended warranties!
Pete Truman

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 06:50:17 pm »

I have purchased extended warranties for many different things and have never used any of them. Then, on a few things I did not, and they crapped out on me.

Extended warranties are really just (expensive) insurance policies. I just bought a +2 year with a Canon 24-105, and I think it was about $170.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:51 am »

If you are buying from BH,DON´T buy the MACK warranty. It is a ripoff.   I purchased mine and when I did get to use it they did not honor it. In the end it is going to be your word against theirs. They´ll make up anything to get away with your money and tell you were not eligible for the warranty.

jimk

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 01:13:43 pm »

If you are buying from BH,DON´T buy the MACK warranty. It is a ripoff.   I purchased mine and when I did get to use it they did not honor it. In the end it is going to be your word against theirs. They´ll make up anything to get away with your money and tell you were not eligible for the warranty.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

bh doesnt sell mack anymore what they have is a sagemax its not an "extended" they call it a protection plan

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 01:15:14 pm »

If you are buying from BH,DON´T buy the MACK warranty. It is a ripoff.   I purchased mine and when I did get to use it they did not honor it. In the end it is going to be your word against theirs. They´ll make up anything to get away with your money and tell you were not eligible for the warranty.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209729\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep. Mack has a bad reputation for weaseling out of their commitment to do the repair. Also, on pro cameras like the Eos-1Ds III, Canon gives you a coupon for something like a $100 discount on your first service.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:06:02 am »

Forget the extended waranty----I'd rather save my money......for a new camera body.
Pages: [1]   Go Up