Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vignetting more pronounced on APS-C camera?  (Read 3131 times)

timescapes

Vignetting more pronounced on APS-C camera?
« on: July 12, 2008, 01:06:14 pm »

I was reading this review of the EF 24mm f/1.4 L....

The Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 USM L left some mixed feelings during the tests. The peak performance is about the best that I've seen at this focal length but it is reached late (f/8). The center quality is surely very impressive throughout the tested aperture range but this isn't quite as true for the borders which are soft at f/1.4 and the quality only increases slowly towards medium aperture settings. The distortion and CA figures are acceptable for such a lens but vignetting is way too pronounced on an APS-C DSLR even though the problem is only visible at f/1.4.

LINK

Why would vignetting be worse on a camera with a smaller sensor when the lens is wide open?  Could this be avoided by shooting at f/1.8 or f/2?

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 04:49:46 pm »

I was reading this review of the EF 24mm f/1.4 L....
Why would vignetting be worse on a camera with a smaller sensor when the lens is wide open?  Could this be avoided by shooting at f/1.8 or f/2?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Canon 24/1.4 does have some serious vignetting at f/1.4, visible on both full frame and APS bodies. It's also soft in the corners at f/1.4. Yes, vignetting is reduced by f/2, and the corners get much sharper by f/4 or so.

All I can say is, if you need f/1.4, you need it. Soft corners and vignetting are part of the deal, and for my type of work, are not a problem. Yes, my 24-70 f/2.8 zoom is sharper and has less vignetting at 24mm -- but it's two stops slower. The f/1.4 lens is made for low-light shooting -- journalism, sports, etc., -- not for architecture or traditional landscape photography. (Both of which it can excel at if you shoot at f/8 or f/11.)

I now have six lenses with the 24mm focal length somewhere in their range. For convenience, I choose the 24-70 or maybe the 16-35. For architecture, the Sigma 12-24. For odd focus shifts, the 24 T/S. But I find the 24/1.4 on my camera most often when I am shooting in a journalistic style, or under low-light conditions, or when I want the very shallow depth of field combined with a wide-angle view.

BTW the lens works quite well on a 40D body, where it's roughly a 40mm equivalent. Nice wide-normal lens, and good speed. But it's awesome on a 1D or 1Ds-series body.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Panopeeper

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 05:24:32 pm »

Why would vignetting be worse on a camera with a smaller sensor when the lens is wide open?
It is not worse, and no-one said so. Photozone's review stresses the result on APS-C, because they are (he is) testing on a cropping camera, i.e. positive results do not apply to full frame (but negative results apply increased).
Gabor

timescapes

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 05:37:30 pm »

Would this be a good lens for astrophotography of landscapes and stars?  I like the focal length conversion on an APS-C, because it's long enough to reach out.  Even if I had to stop down to f/2 it would still be 1 or 2 stops faster than most lenses in this range.

This is the type of stuff I like to shoot...

I also like the fact that the lens will hold up well on a serious FF camera.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:38:07 pm by timescapes »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 02:41:32 am »

Why would vignetting be worse on a camera with a smaller sensor when the lens is wide open?  Could this be avoided by shooting at f/1.8 or f/2?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=207639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It should be read "even on APS bodies it vignettes a lot", meaning that it will be worse on FF.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up