Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: P65+  (Read 125690 times)

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
P65+
« Reply #280 on: July 24, 2008, 06:11:04 pm »

I actually chuckle at the terms upgrade and "value added".   I can't tell you how much I'd love to see those terms disappear from my world.
JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Value added - isn't that what you're asked at McDonalds?

don

DavidP

• papas.com
P65+
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2008, 08:01:07 pm »

I think McDonalds is Super Size Me. maybe that would work for the P-65

Value added - isn't that what you're asked at McDonalds?

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
P65+
« Reply #282 on: July 25, 2008, 11:38:39 am »

I think McDonalds is Super Size Me. maybe that would work for the P-65
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At Wendy's it is called Biggie!  I think that would be fitting for the P65+!  

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:26:04 pm by clawery »

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
P65+
« Reply #283 on: July 25, 2008, 12:01:15 pm »

At Wendy's it is called Biggy!  I think that would be fitting for the P65+!   

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National  Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The funny thing is this is almost the way medium format is marketed.   The biggie, the almost biggie, the medium biggie.

That latest Phase newsletter is a great example.  Who is going to park a truck on a $40,000 back, or cover a back in ice?  If it was meant to be funny it might work, but once again I keep waiting for Mike Myers to pop into the frame.

On the other hand there are positive things in the redesign of the Harteblei lens,  that isn't put in public.  Same with the redesign of the Phase camera and it's not just phase that seems to get their message skewed.

Look at the Hy6 and AFI.  Why is it called those names, it's a Rolliflex . . . right?

What about Rolliflex for Sinar, or Rolliflex for Leaf.  That carries some weight.  Why throw away the Rolliflex brand name?

Every manufacturer pretty much markets the same way.    The same over lit strobe shot that has 200 hours of post production.

I'd get these cameras into the hands of good photographers and have them shoot a personal project.

I'd wouldn't demo just an AFI with one lens in some white walled studio setting, I'd hand somebody a case of lenses, a camera a back and tell them to shoot something from the heart, something that would highlight the lens range Rollei has of that camera,with all those F2's.

It's the image that turns a photographer on, that and real information that allows us to make a decision.  

It seems like they either try to sell these things as scientific instruments or cars.

They even price them like cars, with all those add ons.

Sell them as expensive precious works of art that are designed for making expensive  precious works of  art.

JR

Snook

P65+
« Reply #284 on: July 25, 2008, 12:28:17 pm »

The funny thing is this is almost the way medium format is marketed.   The biggie, the almost biggie, the medium biggie.

That latest Phase newsletter is a great example.  Who is going to park a truck on a $40,000 back, or cover a back in ice?  If it was meant to be funny it might work, but once again I keep waiting for Mike Myers to pop into the frame.

On the other hand there are positive things in the redesign of the Harteblei lens,  that isn't put in public.  Same with the redesign of the Phase camera and it's not just phase that seems to get their message skewed.

Look at the Hy6 and AFI.  Why is it called those names, it's a Rolliflex . . . right?

What about Rolliflex for Sinar, or Rolliflex for Leaf.  That carries some weight.  Why throw away the Rolliflex brand name?

Every manufacturer pretty much markets the same way.    The same over lit strobe shot that has 200 hours of post production.

I'd get these cameras into the hands of good photographers and have them shoot a personal project.

I'd wouldn't demo just an AFI with one lens in some white walled studio setting, I'd hand somebody a case of lenses, a camera a back and tell them to shoot something from the heart, something that would highlight the lens range Rollei has of that camera,with all those F2's.

It's the image that turns a photographer on, that and real information that allows us to make a decision. 

It seems like they either try to sell these things as scientific instruments or cars.

They even price them like cars, with all those add ons.

Sell them as expensive precious works of art that are designed for making expensive  precious works of  art.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210612\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also have my doubts that those backs work after a a couple months....
Sure it may turn on after being frozen but will it work a week from now?
Also who is in the market for a P65+ and I ask that seriuosly.
What customers are they looking for.
Where I live it seems the clients are getting cheaper everyday and almost anything goes espeicall for builboards where the quality is iffy at best anyways.
Lot turd here with 5D's charging the same and getting jobs also.
who is going to demand shoots with a P65+?
I ask that seriuosly... is it the car advert guys, that are all going 3D anyways, or who?
Thanks for some insight
Snook
Also Russel you keep mentioning the Rhed camera.. is there a chance that with in the next 5 years your theaory will come true.. I think you mentioned you could shoot video and take the clips from the video for print?
How close to reality is that?
That can change someones future interest quite dramtically.

Sure seems practical but how true could it be.
Would be great to shoot a shoot with video and then take clips from it and print them?
I know nothing about video so any info would be great!
Thanks
Snook

tho_mas

P65+
« Reply #285 on: July 25, 2008, 12:56:03 pm »

On the other hand there are positive things in the redesign of the Harteblei lens,  that isn't put in public.
Which ones? New lens-design?

Also who is in the market for a P65+ and I ask that seriuosly.
What customers are they looking for.
The same as the P45+ customers, no?
If you already have a P45 there's maybe no need to upgrade. But if you would start with MFDB now... would you prefer e.g. the LCD-display of the H3D e.g. over the possibility to upgrade the chip capabilities of the P65+ in the future? Or over the flexibility that an open system offers?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
P65+
« Reply #286 on: July 25, 2008, 01:06:35 pm »

Also Russel you keep mentioning the Rhed camera.. is there a chance that with in the next 5 years your theaory will come true.. I think you mentioned you could shoot video and take the clips from the video for print?

Would be great to shoot a shoot with video and then take clips from it and print them?
Thanks
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook
[a href=\"http://www.red.com/]Red[/url] is out - look at their web site

don

Snook

P65+
« Reply #287 on: July 25, 2008, 01:26:56 pm »

Snook
Red is out - look at their web site

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks...
I know red is out but it is not there yet?
I remember Russel commenting in a thread that the future could very well be shooting Video with a camera like the red one and taking stills for print. But HIGH quality print.
That would Kill many people for obvious reasons. No photographer in Commercial shootings.. we'll just use the Clips from the Commercial...?
That is what comes to my mind..
I just turned 40 and have seen a lot in the photography world. Been in the fashion business since I was 16 where I was picked up on the beaches by Bruce Weber and shot Several Big campaigns with him as a model and I cannot begin to explain to you how my fashion life went from then on out...:+}
In any case That would be a major news story if that were true, But the way Russel described it, it is already there here or somewhere getting there fast...?
Again I know very little about video and still do not understand why they can shoot in such low light with out problems an we cannot...:+}
Thanks
Snook

Snook

P65+
« Reply #288 on: July 25, 2008, 01:28:32 pm »

Plus My head hurts thinking about the post in video and space it uses etc... I am almost overwhelmed at times with space etc.. with digital photography...:+}
Having to learn all that stuff again...argggggg:+{
I hope I can make a living shooting until I die or retire, which ever comes first.

Sorry hit post instead of edit...:+{
Snook
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:30:55 pm by Snook »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
P65+
« Reply #289 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:30 pm »

From what I've seen of Red published stuff, you could use a Red today if you have enough light available. Someone on this forum has a Red, care to comment ?

I've just spent the afternoon doing still-life images at 3s/frame and obviously you won't make those with a Red - but getting a pretty girl to do her moves, swinging her hair and her skirt is more fun than still-life images

Edmund

Thanks
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210617\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
P65+
« Reply #290 on: July 25, 2008, 02:13:35 pm »

From what I've seen of Red published stuff, you could use a Red today if you have enough light available. Someone on this forum has a Red, care to comment ?

I've just spent the afternoon doing still-life images at 3s/frame and obviously you won't make those with a Red - but getting a pretty girl to do her moves, swinging her hair and her skirt is more fun than still-life images

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I never meant to imply that the Red will replace still photography, though I do believe moving imagery will marginalize print photography in commerce and editorial.

I do think the Red could probably be turned into a combination still and cinema camera, but I doubt if still imagery is high on the Red's list of priorities.

I think what the Red does illustrate is how a 2 year camera from scratch can rock the market and stands a chance to dominate, espeially since the system is so well thought out, from capture to viewing, to post.

We've seen nothing like that in still photograpy, at least not in one cohesive system.

Then again I continue to believe that some of the issue with medium format in general is the marketing.

I firmly believe if medium format had bmw and Lexus make them some cars, they would insist on changing their names to Tree and Magnum.

JR

Mike W

P65+
« Reply #291 on: July 25, 2008, 03:57:57 pm »

I never meant to imply that the Red will replace still photography, though I do believe moving imagery will marginalize print photography in commerce and editorial.

True, to take the topic even further, in the future print itself might be in big trouble because internet is taking over. I think many marketeers will start to hop on the "video is better than still" mentality. Why put a picture online if you can post a moving image? It's a much richer experience in many cases...

I do think the Red could probably be turned into a combination still and cinema camera, but I doubt if still imagery is high on the Red's list of priorities.

Well, Jim Jannard is an avid photographer as well, so who knows...
I never expected the guy to start building film-gear either.

TMARK

P65+
« Reply #292 on: July 25, 2008, 04:03:44 pm »

Plus My head hurts thinking about the post in video and space it uses etc... I am almost overwhelmed at times with space etc.. with digital photography...:+}
Having to learn all that stuff again...argggggg:+{
I hope I can make a living shooting until I die or retire, which ever comes first.
Sorry hit post instead of edit...:+{
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210637\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Besides really high end print, I think there is less than a decade left in the commercial stills market, at leat in LA and New York.  There will be some sort of convergence, but the real story is how advertising and editorial will be displayed.  Print will be mostly dead in a decade.  The stuff we shoot will be displayed electronicaly (web, large and cheap LCD's), which lends itself to video.  

So sell all those strobes and buy some HMI's, learn FCP, and learn to work with large crews in a collaborative environment.  I'm actually starting a production company with some people where stills are a part of the whole, but its mainly video.  

And yes, I dusted off my Arri 650s and 1ks, and am looking to buy some used K5600 or Bron 575 and 1200 HMIs.  Just bought two Arri 125 pocket pars.  I figure the basic HMI kit is a better investment than an upgrade to a P65+.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:05:01 pm by TMARK »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
P65+
« Reply #293 on: July 25, 2008, 04:50:17 pm »

The feature (silver-based) film crowd seem to be upgrading as well - read below:

http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvideo/cu...issue/9703.html

What is frightening is not that they have 100TB of data, it's that they ONLY have 100TB of data from a full-length IMAX feature movie.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Tim Lüdin

• http://www.timage.ch
P65+
« Reply #294 on: July 25, 2008, 05:25:10 pm »

Hi guys, it's me that has a RED-One digital cam.
I have to say that you can print a nice A3 still frame from it any time.
I did a test with an ad-agency to show the client that we could use the RED for film and print.
We couldn't believe it. The A3 print was very nice. You can pull a 40mb tiff still file from it.
As I said it in an other thread, it wont take too long and we will be able to film and take pictures with just one cam on a high-end level. Since I have the RED I realy think so.

RED is realy pushing it. Jim Jannard the owner and founder of RED is also a big photography fan like all of us. He hasn't even started yet, but the film indusrty is almost up side down because of the new cams.
If only the DB makers would be as open and inovativ as RED.
The big gamechanger will be coming earlier than we think or would love it.
Just stay open minded and see it as a chance and not as threat.

Tim
Cinematographer & Photographer
[url=http

Snook

P65+
« Reply #295 on: July 25, 2008, 05:32:07 pm »

Thank you Tim...
And yes your scaring me...:+}
Snook

Mike W

P65+
« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2008, 06:13:15 pm »

Hi guys, it's me that has a RED-One digital cam.
I have to say that you can print a nice A3 still frame from it any time.
I did a test with an ad-agency to show the client that we could use the RED for film and print.
We couldn't believe it. The A3 print was very nice. You can pull a 40mb tiff still file from it.
As I said it in an other thread, it wont take too long and we will be able to film and take pictures with just one cam on a high-end level. Since I have the RED I realy think so.

RED is realy pushing it. Jim Jannard the owner and founder of RED is also a big photography fan like all of us. He hasn't even started yet, but the film indusrty is almost up side down because of the new cams.
If only the DB makers would be as open and inovativ as RED.
The big gamechanger will be coming earlier than we think or would love it.
Just stay open minded and see it as a chance and not as threat.

Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could you post a still frame (or two) at 100%? I'm really curious to see for myself, and I bet others are too.

Snook, change is for the best, hang in there :-)

Snook

P65+
« Reply #297 on: July 25, 2008, 06:22:30 pm »

Could you post a still frame (or two) at 100%? I'm really curious to see for myself, and I bet others are too.

Snook, change is for the best, hang in there :-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
yes even a 50% crop would be nice..:+}
Anything would be nice..
Snook

Tim Lüdin

• http://www.timage.ch
P65+
« Reply #298 on: July 25, 2008, 07:48:39 pm »

Ok guys give me a day. I'm not at the office at the week end.
But I'll post something.
Remember, the RED has a 12 MP chip in it. So it's 5D land.
Good night.

Tim
Cinematographer & Photographer
[url=http

Snook

P65+
« Reply #299 on: July 25, 2008, 08:01:23 pm »

Ok guys give me a day. I'm not at the office at the week end.
But I'll post something.
Remember, the RED has a 12 MP chip in it. So it's 5D land.
Good night.

Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=210717\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Please do...
That 12 mp is you could take out an image from any frame of the red and it will be 12 mp quality.
In theory I could shoot a girl jumping once or swinging around her hair and just grab the best frame in the sequence and print it at 12  mp quality?

Snook
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up