Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can the 1DsmkIII do this...?  (Read 3384 times)

araz

• Araz Jakalian Photography
Can the 1DsmkIII do this...?
« on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:15 pm »

My question is related to HDR photography.  Currently, with my 1DmkII, I use 2 sec timer with mirror lock up and AEB for 5 shots.  The process goes as follows: 1) press shutter with cable release; 2) mirror goes up and after 2 seconds the shutters open, exposure is made, shutter and mirror close; 3) repeat for the remaining 4 shots.  This process takes about 15 seconds, or more, for the 5 shots which is relatively long for HDR depending on subjects (e.g. moving clouds, etc.)

I know from the online manual that the 1DsmkIII has the "mirror lock up; down with SET" feature that enables multiple shots to be taken with a single mirror lock up.  With this feature enabled, is it possible to combine it with AEB so that a single press of the shutter will flip the mirror and then take the 5 shots automatically?  Or even better, combine this feature with 2 sec timer and AEB?  So, the mirror locks up, after 2 sec the shutter opens exposes the 1st shots, closes... then opens and exposes the 2nd shots, closes...etc (with mirror locked up).

I hope my question is clear, if not let me know.

Araz
ps. I assume you have to be in high-speed mode

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:20:21 pm »

I don't know if the 1DsMkII can do that, but I guess it can, for the 40D is doing that; exactly, what I need for HDR. The 40D does this in Live View mode, one can combine it with the timer as well. One click, 2sec wait, and sh-sh-sh, the three shots are done in a fraction of a second, the only movement is the shutter. I tested this, the result can be a single pixel for single pixel match.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 04:21:19 pm by Panopeeper »
Gabor

araz

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:09 pm »

One click, 2sec wait, and sh-sh-sh, the three shots are done in a fraction of a second, the only movement is the shutter. I tested this, the result can be a single pixel for single pixel match.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206755\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is exactly what I'm looking for.  Can anyone confirm that the 1DsmkIII can do it also.

Araz

Panopeeper

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:15:08 pm »

I am the mailman of bad news (I am old enough to "bear this weight"): most of those, who are shelling out so much for a camera (just like most of those, who have paid for an MFDB) believe to have become artists, who do not have to be bothered by technicalities like your question.

Who cares for proper exposure, when one has a $???? equipment at hand?
Gabor

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:16:02 pm »

I just checked and my 1Ds III worked. I happened to use the "set" button to activate live view so the mirror comes up then with the self timer set to 2sec it fired off three consecutive frames without lowering the mirror in between.

asoames

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 06:24:30 pm »

I just checked and my 1Ds III worked. I happened to use the "set" button to activate live view so the mirror comes up then with the self timer set to 2sec it fired off three consecutive frames without lowering the mirror in between.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You don't have to use live-view. Enable mirror lock-up, mirror down on SET, 2 second self timer and AEB. On pressing the shutter release, the mirror will go up and 2 seconds later your series of exposures will be made. The mirror will remain up throughout until you press SET.

araz

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:05:32 pm »

Thanks for the info.

This will make HDR photography a whole lot simpler and much more accurate, just one press and all bracketed shots are taken within a few seconds...wonderful!  What would make it even better is if the mirror went down automatically after the AEB sequence has ended but I guess pressing the SET button is not a big deal since, at that point, the shots have all been taken.

Araz
Pages: [1]   Go Up