Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fisheye lens for Spherical Panos  (Read 2642 times)

AjantaKVS

Fisheye lens for Spherical Panos
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:32:10 pm »

Hello to all,

I am planning to go for new "Sigma 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM  Circular fish eye lens for my two Nikons   'Nikon D40X' and 'D80' for making Spherical Panos.

Any feed back on this lens from the users and also any other alternative solutions taking in to consideration that I am also planning for a full frame Nikon like the future Nikon D3x.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

AjantaKVS

JohnBlake

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:06:17 pm »

Hello to all,

I am planning to go for new "Sigma 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM  Circular fish eye lens for my two Nikons   'Nikon D40X' and 'D80' for making Spherical Panos.

Any feed back on this lens from the users and also any other alternative solutions taking in to consideration that I am also planning for a full frame Nikon like the future Nikon D3x.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

AjantaKVS
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=206688\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AjkantaKVS

I'm quite experienced at creating spherical panoramas with Nikon cameras with APS sensors (D200) and the D3. For information of the Sigma lens try the forums at the panoguide.com website. I don't have that lens but there probabily will be someone who has.

I use the Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye. That lens is VERY popular with panorama photographers. You can use it with the D40X and D80 and D3. To get 360 degree horizontal coverage with an APS size sensor take 6 shots 60 degrees apart. To fill the small hole at the top,called the zenith, take one shot straight up. There are various shooting methods to cover the hole straight down,called the nadir.

To use the lens with the D3 the lens hood needs to be cut off or it will protrude into the image area. To cover a full 360 degree horizontal area you only need to take four images 90 degrees
apart. You don't need to take an image to cover the zenith. There are different ways to shoot an
image to cover the nadir.

Hope this helps. The panoguide.com website forums is very helpful.

John Blake

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:41:25 pm »

You will loose resolution at the stitched panorama with a circular image from the 4.5 Sigma. The Nikon 10.5 is the better choice, also if you want to upgrade later to a D700.

The link for violating the Nikon 10.5 is here -  
http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Adaptateur_EOS...sun-shield.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up