Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Matte Proofing, or HP Proofing Matte?  (Read 1994 times)

ed kelley

HP Matte Proofing, or HP Proofing Matte?
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:53 pm »

I have been doing a bit of color correction work for replicating my wife's paintings and I had been using HP Matte Litho Realistic with excellent results, but even though my monitors are calibrated, it still takes a fair amount of actual print samples to get it right.  So, in the process of trying to save money and materials, I bought a roll of cheaper HP Proofing Matte Paper, Q7896A.  

I've been through the printer calibration AND created an ICC profile for this paper, but the results lean toward cyan.  I'm printing from Photoshop CS3.  In the PSCS3 print dialogue (win xp pro) I use the printer profile of "HP Designjet Z3100, HP Proofing Matte"  which is the same name that the HP Printer Utility uses to describe this paper.

However, when I go to "Page Setup..."  and enter the HP Designjet Z3100 44in Photo Document Properties dialog, the only paper that remotely matches is "HP Matte Proofing Paper."  So, even though the words "Matte" and "Proofing" are reversed, is this the same paper???  Haven't been in touch with HP support, but couldn't find a thing on their site.

Also--in the PSCS3 print preview window, the paper color of shown in the background has a bluish/cyan cast to it, indicating to me that something is amiss here.  However, when soft-proofing in Photoshop, the color appears to be accurate.  I'm wondering is the name confusion causing this problem in the printer driver or printer utility itself?  Seems unlikely, since I don't have any other choice, except the generic "Proofing Matte Paper."

Oddly enough, when soft-proofing on screen, using the custom proof setup, I have a choice of both the HP Proofing Matte Paper and the HP Matte Proofing Paper, and they both are nearly, if not the same, when soft-proofing them.

After having restored the factory ICC profile for HP Proofing Matte Paper, I find I'm no better off.

If anyone has a thought on this issue, I would love to hear it.
Thanks
Ed

ed kelley

HP Matte Proofing, or HP Proofing Matte?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:05:06 pm »

Oops, wrong forum...sorry, will repost to printing forum.

duh.
Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up