Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 week old HP Z3100 24"  (Read 3051 times)

Mark Potter

3 week old HP Z3100 24"
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »

I am new to large format printing and reciently bought an HP Z3100. I have read to some extent about users having issues with star wheel and roller marks especially with the matte papers that I intend to use. I have not seen such that I am aware of but am still working with the printer and really have not printed anything that would provide a good test of this, I'm still using the supplied roll of gloss media that came with it and have not used any matte paper yet.

Question - I have read that HP has addressed these issues and even have part numbers to order the revised parts, and that these parts are being installed at the factory on the new models before shipping and since my printer is new (not sure of the build date though) is there a way that I can tell if my printer has the revised parts already installed?  I asked HP when I talked to them about getting a small part replaced that came broken for the catch bin as I thought they might know baised on serial numbers but he told me there was no way of knowing. is this true? I though I read that the new rollers were a different color and made of foam?

rdonson

3 week old HP Z3100 24"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:34:13 pm »

Hello Mark,

I think you'll find the information you're looking for in the Z3100 wiki.

The last I knew you had to convince HP by providing prints that you have a problem with the pinch rollers and star wheels to get them to replace the units.  At one time HP was saying that the replacements weren't finalized and that you'd be testing new parts.

I've not had a problem with my Z3100 rollers and star wheels but I haven't printed on the latest baryta papers yet so.....
Regards,
Ron

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
3 week old HP Z3100 24"
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:18:50 pm »

A new printer may already have updated star wheel railss and rollers installed. The dots from the star wheels show up mainly in dark areas on satin and glossy photo paper or clear film.

I had to take a photo of the marks my z3100 was leaving on film and e-mail it to tech support before HP would schedule a repair. The fix is an adjustable star wheel rail. Lower it for fine art watercolor or matte paper and raise it (less pressure on the star wheels) for glossy stock.

I print a lot of B&W photos on Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art and Matte Photo papers and have not seen any star wheel marks...only on the film and high gloss photo. (BTW: My blacks on matte look like black velvet!)

The pinch wheels have not caused any problems on my printer, so I can't comment on that.

If you do notice that you have a problem, contact support...with documentation they'll fix it.

Mark Potter

3 week old HP Z3100 24"
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:59:06 pm »

Thanks for the reply's but I think I have mis-informed all when I mentioned getting a new part, it had nothing to do with the star wheels or rollers it was a small broken piece on the catch bin, HP has replaced nothing with the wheels or rollers and cannot tell me if mine has the old version?

From reading more on it from the Z3100 Wiki site (never knew what a "wiki" was until now) I guess this is something I'm not going to just check or look at on my printer to see if I have the revised parts...

I seem to spend more time "geeking" with this equipment/software and less time painting and designing...not really what I had in mind. I should have paid closer attention to the fact that the Fine Art printing video here (it's been helpful) is over 6 hours!....6 hours to make a print! and that's when you know everything like they do so add a few days for me.

I know, I'm exaggerating, 5.5 hours without the talking:)  but it's been over three weeks of trying to figure this printer out...

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
3 week old HP Z3100 24"
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:29:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply's but I think I have mis-informed all when I mentioned getting a new part, it had nothing to do with the star wheels or rollers it was a small broken piece on the catch bin, HP has replaced nothing with the wheels or rollers and cannot tell me if mine has the old version?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198872\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know why I bother...I told you that the NEW star wheels allow the user to lift the wheels for certain papers and lower them for others. If you can't do that, then you have the old style. But more importantly, is the question: do you notice a problem? If not, then don't worry about it. "If it's not broke..don't fix it!"

Spend your time learning about your new printer and PRINTING! Rather than worrying about something that may be non-existant!

Mark Potter

3 week old HP Z3100 24"
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:47:31 am »

I don't know why I bother...I told you that the NEW star wheels allow the user to lift the wheels for certain papers and lower them for others. If you can't do that, then you have the old style. But more importantly, is the question: do you notice a problem? If not, then don't worry about it. "If it's not broke..don't fix it!"

Spend your time learning about your new printer and PRINTING! Rather than worrying about something that may be non-existant!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am trying to do just that, and figure out if mine are the type that lift up. thanks for you help as it has guided me in the right direction but sorry if I have annoyed you with my lack of knowledge and experience...this may seem easy to you but I'm still trying to find out where the star wheels rail is and if they lift or not?

As far as knowing if I have a problem, THAT is what I am trying to figure out. I have only gotten a few prints out of this printer and yes, I do believe there is an issue.

Again, you have been very helpful, And I do thank you for bothering to be so helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up