Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 GE/On, No GE/Off profile?  (Read 2535 times)

walter.sk

z3100 GE/On, No GE/Off profile?
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:15:05 am »

I just calibrated/profiled my first roll of HP Premium ID Satin.  The color and contrast are very good, but I hate the way the paper feels.  I also still prefer the Epson Premium Luster for over all effect, but I'll give myself some time to get used to the HP Satin.

I have a question, as usual:

I used APS to calibrate and profile the paper.  I selected GE ON before creating the profile, and named it Z3100_HPPremIDSatGE_APS918.  Later, in setting up some print tests I found that profile but not one that said GE Off.  Up until now, APS generated two ICC files for each non-matte paper, one with GE-On and one with GE-Off.  

Should I not have checked GE ON as I made the profile?  Or is something else responsible for not getting both ICC files?  Also, is it better practice to do the profiling without selecting GE, or the way I did it?  I know that the printer driver still allows me to turn off the GE.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:51:09 pm »

You did it correctly. You have to make a choice GE on/off at profile creation time.
I almost always use GE in Eco mode so turning it on makes a large difference in the profile.
Why the pseudo non- GE profile didn't show up I don't know. Before at least with the Easy profiles both were created.

I've found the faux pseudo profiles too approximative for gallery type of work so I just don't use them.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:52:07 pm »

I really like the HP Premium ID Satin.  I find the Epson Premium Luster a touch too "pebbly" for my taste.

I'll check later about the GEon/GEoff profiles from APS but my recollection is that it only generates a profile for your choice of GE after the last APS update.  

BTW I always run with GE on for ID Satin.  I like the smooth surface look it provides.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:52:35 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:34:31 am »

I really like the HP Premium ID Satin.  I find the Epson Premium Luster a touch too "pebbly" for my taste.

I'll check later about the GEon/GEoff profiles from APS but my recollection is that it only generates a profile for your choice of GE after the last APS update. 

BTW I always run with GE on for ID Satin.  I like the smooth surface look it provides.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198800\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, Ron and Neil.  My APS is the latest PC version (1.30).  I had been getting the automatic pairs of profiles until now, so I don't know what happened.

I printed several more files with the HP Premium Satin and I must say I'm pleased with the surface.  It actually has much the same pattern as the Epson Luster, but not as pronounced, making the details look slightly sharper on the HP Satin.  But I still don't like the tactile quality of the HP paper.  (On the other hand, it will go behind glass, anyway, so it doesn't really matter.)

I also tried the OCE 10 mil satin and didn't like it. The HP has more apparent depth, while on the OCE the image seems to be on the very surface of the paper.  When not viewed head on the image seems to take on an unreal, plastic quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up