Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2.0 Tutorial question  (Read 14606 times)

DarkPenguin

LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:30:09 pm »

Hi,

Is the new tutorial for 2.0 going to be much like the last one and cover everything?  Or is it going to build on the last one and introduce the differences between LR 1.x and 2.0?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 02:12:02 pm »

Is the new tutorial for 2.0 going to be much like the last one and cover everything?  Or is it going to build on the last one and introduce the differences between LR 1.x and 2.0?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197768\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The new tutorial will be complete, very comprehensive and stand-alone. It does not presume any prior viewing of the V.1x tutorial. That being, said, although there is an 'Introduction to Lightroom' section, this will be much shorter and presumes that the viewer is fairly familiar with the concept of a parametric editor. Where there are significant new features and changes in the v.2 program & tutorial over v.1 they will be flagged as such.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:13:04 pm by Chrissand »

Alter Nereus

LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 03:53:53 pm »

The new tutorial will be complete, very comprehensive and stand-alone. It does not presume any prior viewing of the V.1x tutorial. That being, said, although there is an 'Introduction to Lightroom' section, this will be much shorter and presumes that the viewer is fairly familiar with the concept of a parametric editor. Where there are significant new features and changes in the v.2 program & tutorial over v.1 they will be flagged as such.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197895\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To be honest I'm a little intrigued and also perplexed how it is that this video is being created in May when LR version 2.0 is not scheduled for release until the end of August at the earliest. If we are to believe what has been said over on the LR 2 beta forum and has been repeated many times since is that it is not at all guaranteed that that everything now appearing in LR 2 will appear in the final version, if it does it might well be in a different form and that other features may well be added. Now on the face of it someone is being very economical with the truth to say the very least or else how can a tutorial video be created unless Jeff and Co know exactly the form that the final release version will take. Or could it perhaps be that the video is being created in the form of what they think the release version will look like with a view to releasing a video update later in the series for additional items to the final release? Let's face it, if the video is to be released at exactly the same time as the final release version of LR 2 then there is no margin for error being programmed in. Um curiouser and curiouser as the Mad Hatter said I believe.

madmanchan

• Web
LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:28:48 pm »

FYI, big commercial software is typically frozen feature-wise and UI-wise a while before it's actually released. The final stretch involves internal (but important) things like performance, bug-fixing, documentation, etc. that wouldn't affect a video such as this one being taped ahead of release.
Eric Chan

DarkPenguin

LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 05:00:04 pm »

To be honest I'm looking for something more like Ben Willmore's up to speed series.

Pete Ferling

LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 06:57:06 pm »

Despite having gone through both the LR1 and ACR tutorials twice now, and having put LR2 through it's paces for some several projects,  I'm still looking forward to the LR2 series for two reasons:  1) Piece of mind to know that I'm using it correctly, as the authors intended, and 2) picking up any tips or advice, even if not directly related to LR, as a due course of photography itself.

The last tutorials were correct on both accounts.  Not bad for the price of an inexpensive book.

-Pete

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 10:38:21 pm »

Now on the face of it someone is being very economical with the truth to say the very least or else how can a tutorial video be created unless Jeff and Co know exactly the form that the final release version will take.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And what makes you think I DON'T have a version of LR 2.0 that _IS_ final UI and features? The only public knowledge regarding the LR 2.0 release is that there will be only one beta for the public and that expires in August. There's this thing called LEAD TIME in which an app is finished except for testing, bug fixing and optimization. You think books and videos can be made over nite?

Besides, if you note what I said on PhotoshopNews.com, this week was the ONLY week that Michael and I could get together in person to shoot images together...you are making WAY too much out of all of tis.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 01:11:59 am »

To be honest I'm a little intrigued and also perplexed how it is that this video is being created in May when LR version 2.0 is not scheduled for release until the end of August at the earliest. If we are to believe what has been said over on the LR 2 beta forum and has been repeated many times since is that it is not at all guaranteed that that everything now appearing in LR 2 will appear in the final version, if it does it might well be in a different form and that other features may well be added. Now on the face of it someone is being very economical with the truth to say the very least or else how can a tutorial video be created unless Jeff and Co know exactly the form that the final release version will take. Or could it perhaps be that the video is being created in the form of what they think the release version will look like with a view to releasing a video update later in the series for additional items to the final release? Let's face it, if the video is to be released at exactly the same time as the final release version of LR 2 then there is no margin for error being programmed in. Um curiouser and curiouser as the Mad Hatter said I believe.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197909\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Personally - Im WAY excitied by the upcoming LR2.0 Tutorial.

I have found Michael and Jeff's tutorials [I own all of them] thoroughly entertaining as well as informative. I would buy them for their enjoyment and entertainment factor alone  

I use LR EVERY day - and feel I have a pretty good grasp on it - but it wont stop me shelling out for the 2.0 Tutorial as that will no doubt have new content on new LR capabilities and this should be the selling point to ANY LR user who enjoys these kind of tutorials.

I feel pretty confident that Michael and Jeff would not release a tutorial unless they were pretty darned sure they new the final feature set for 2.0. Thats a no brainer in my book.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Alter Nereus

LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 03:02:54 am »

I feel pretty confident that Michael and Jeff would not release a tutorial unless they were pretty darned sure they new the final feature set for 2.0. Thats a no brainer in my book.

I couldn't agree more and in keeping with what Jeff has posted re Lead Time then I think we can pretty much all agree that LR v2.0 is just about finished save for performance and bug issues perhaps. It would be nice though if Adobe could post something to this effect over on the LR2.0 beta forum discouraging people from posting anything other than matters related to performance and bugs as it's pretty certain that nothing else is relevant at this time - as concerns version 2.0 that is of course.

Pete Ferling

LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:45 pm »

Folks were told up front about the beta being almost feature complete (save a few minor changes), and that the beta was meant for bug squashing.  So that pretty much gave me an impression to what LR2 was all about.

I'm sure the build that Jeff and Michael used will be on target with the release, to do otherwise would be foolish or a waste of film.  Frankly this can be taken as good news, as it's coming down to a release date.  

Besides, I've taken several shoots to completion with this version (despite the warnings of losing data -gasp), and it's working fine as-is.  Those jobs are done, printed, filed and gone.

I've used the application on four seperate machines, a dell workstation, dell laptop, AMD Boxx 7400 and dual G5 mac.  I've had zero issues, and much of that to the credit of using what I've learned from Jeff and Michael in the LR1 and ACR tutorials.

Marlyn

LR 2.0 Tutorial question
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 11:50:38 pm »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Posts like this just come accross attempts to make noise and scandal where none previously existed.  Statments like  "on the face of it someone is being very economical with the truth" are nothing more than a blatant, and non subtle attempt to call someone a liar, or cheat or similar.    Possibly the MOST annoying thing about this kind of wild speculation, is the targets are generally unable to respond due to legal restriction.  

The mind boggles how anyone dares to make-up this kind of thing, but it is unfortunatly how the gutter press sells papers.

As for the content, out of interest, how do you think that people release books at the same time software comes out. ?  Just because something is PUBLIC beta, why would that make you assume that its not under a private release regime as well, like oh, most other commercial software in the WORLD.  Pre release press programs,  media review, restricted release, etc etc.

Lets see, basic 101. Jeff Schewe writes Photoshop-News.  Jeff and Michael have visited Adobe more than once.  Jeff has been involved with Adobe for years. Jeff and Bruce wrote 'Real world Camera Raw'.  Jeff and Michael have demonstrated with content that they produce quality tutorials, in a timely manner from release of a product, often with information available to insiders. (Interviews with the people that WROTE IT !).       So if they say they can write a tutorial for the release of a product,  it isn't exactly a long stretch to assume that they in fact CAN !.   (And I for one, am thankfull for it)

PS: No release data for Lightroom has been announced AFAIK.  August is also speculation. I suggest reading John Nack's blog on this very subject.

"Oct. 1" (aka, "Just make something up") [a href=\"http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/]http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/[/url]

Regards

Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up