Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spray Protection / 3800 Prints  (Read 5420 times)

7ian7

Spray Protection / 3800 Prints
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:10 am »

I've just purchased a 3800, and am in the process of making prints that'll function as portfolio pages with no mylar or plastic cover of any kind. I haven't made a final decision between a fiber matte (kind of fine-artsy, beautiful) and something glossier, like a luster (more "photographic", less pleasing to the touch). In any event these pages will be handled a lot.

Is there an industry-standard spray (hopefully something invisible, and maybe even archival) that will help protect these prints from fingerprints and scratches out in the real world?

Thanks,
Ian

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 01:47:24 pm »

I've just purchased a 3800, and am in the process of making prints that'll function as portfolio pages with no mylar or plastic cover of any kind. I haven't made a final decision between a fiber matte (kind of fine-artsy, beautiful) and something glossier, like a luster (more "photographic", less pleasing to the touch). In any event these pages will be handled a lot.

Is there an industry-standard spray (hopefully something invisible, and maybe even archival) that will help protect these prints from fingerprints and scratches out in the real world?

Thanks,
Ian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There area lot of different UV protective sprays designed for inkjet prints out there. Many of the paper makers these days sell an inkjet protective spray with their brand name on it. I used the Marshall's brand stuff which looks suspiciously like the Hahnemuhle branded spray. I found that most of the stuff did a good job, the trick is getting the application right. Even coverage takes a bit of skill. Be aware that this is nasty stuff, you'll want to spray outside, or at the very least in a WELL ventilated room, as this stuff is pretty nasty. And stay away from the pure lacquer sprays unless your coating canvas. The spray will provide a more durable finish, cut down on UV exposure thus increasing print fade resistance, and reduce bronzing. The PremiereArt Printshield is perhaps the closest thing to an industry standard recommendation.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

7ian7

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:06:17 pm »

Thank you Mussi_Spectraflow and Sharon.

Sharon, at least in the agency / rep'd scene, there's an ongoing migration away from sleeves, which can look stunning for about a week of heavy perusals but then need to be replaced at a not insignificant cost. You're working with my favorite papers, but I'm currently experimenting with alternatives, as multiple books are being created and it's gonna be very pricey.

People wanting to touch a print is a good thing.

Thanks again,

Ian

7ian7

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 07:26:40 pm »

I hope you'll post your final results. I would be very interested to hear a workable alternative. 

Sharon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lexjet produces some substantially less expensive papers that are similar to Innova, maybe even coated in the same factory. Alternative was the wrong word. Compromise is more like it.  I haven't seen anything that comes close to the Harman or Exhibition Fiber.

7ian7

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:23:28 pm »

Since my last post, I've made some nice-looking prints on Gold Fibre Silk, though it is my first experience with a somewhat noticeable gloss differential.  I also like the look and feel of the Innova White Semi Matte, but that's back up in the same kinda daunting price range of the EF and HG.

davidh4976

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:31:32 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=195206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just recently experimented with a variety of papers looking for one that would be best at hiding fingerprint smudges and would hold up to handling without sleeves. I did not try any sprays.  The short answer is that Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta seemed to do the best.  It has a nice weight and "feel" to it, too.  

Epson Luster was a runner-up, but I didn't care for the epson brand emblazoned on the back side.  I also tried Harmon Professional Gloss FB Al, Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl, Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Epson Exhibition (didn't have the brand name on the back...), but not seemed to hold up to my un-scientific fingerprint testing as well as the Hahn FAB.  You can get a bunch of these in a sample pack from Atlex and try it yourself!

I didn't experiment with matte papers for smudge/handling, but if you want matte, you might try Epson Velvet Fine Art.  I have a VFA test print here and it seems to be holding up well to my handling and doesn't show fingerprints.

Let us know what you finally decide!  I would be particularly interested if you determined that the sprays helped much.

7ian7

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:40:06 pm »

Thanks, David. I'll report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up