Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What could be causing weird reds?  (Read 2721 times)

Stuarte

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • http://
What could be causing weird reds?
« on: May 11, 2008, 01:29:39 pm »

On the odd occasions where I have a picture with very strong reds, they look wrong on my combination of LR + Mac (both MacBook Pro and iMac).

These photos (below, neither with serious artistic intent ) gives an idea of what I'm talking about.  Any ideas what might be causing it?  I shoot with an EOS 5D

Logged

jjj

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4705
    • http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
What could be causing weird reds?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 03:03:19 pm »

If you mean they don't look like the Jpegs produced by camera, nothing unusual there, oranges also fare poorly I find. You can calibrate ACR/LR using something like the Fors script, which you'll find refernces to on LL. Search forum [or web] to find out more.
I gather you get 'better' colours using Canon's DPP, but then there are workflow issues compared to LR.
Logged
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

The Vulcan

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
    • http://www.f4foto.org
What could be causing weird reds?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:36:54 am »

Take a look at this thread - might be helpful

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=17064
Logged

Nat Coalson

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 195
    • http://www.NatCoalson.com/
What could be causing weird reds?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:26:58 pm »

I've repeatedly seen that doing Fors calibration results in a huge improvement in the "baseline" defaults for images from a specific camera. I have presets saved for all the cameras I've used over the past 5 years.

Generating the necessary Calibration settings is not difficult but does require an X-Rite Color Checker and some knowledge of Photoshop and ACR to get the correct results.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:27:14 pm by Nat Coalson »
Logged
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://
Pages: [1]   Go Up