Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Split Screen for the RZProII D  (Read 11199 times)

Snook

Which Split Screen for the RZProII D
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »

Can anybody let me know the best split screen for the RZ and where I can get one with in the next 10 days?
I have the Bill MAxell screen but it is Matte with out and split lines and I cannot focus very well with it.
Thanks for any information or suggestions.
Thank you
Snook

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:39:02 pm »

Mamiya makes a few different screens, but I'm not sure if they will be what you are looking for.
There is a 212-426 Split Image R.F. Spot with Microprism E and a 212-427 Vertical Split Image.
I'm checking on availability.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

clawery

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:07:09 pm »

They are in stock and available.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:57:55 am »

They are in stock and available.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193186\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Clawery...:+}
I just found one at B&H demoed for 55.00$ I got the vertical rangefinder one..
I will post if I like it or not... will be here in 10 days or so..
Thanks a lot
Snook

clawery

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 01:13:11 pm »

Thanks Clawery...:+}
I just found one at B&H demoed for 55.00$ I got the vertical rangefinder one..
I will post if I like it or not... will be here in 10 days or so..
Thanks a lot
Snook
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook,

I'm a RZ shooter too and I'm curious on how you'll like the new screen.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com
[a href=\"http://www.captureintegration.com]Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year[/url]

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell  

Snook

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »

Snook,

I'm a RZ shooter too and I'm curious on how you'll like the new screen.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
chris@captureintegration.com

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193610\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Chris I will let you know for sure.
I have right now the Bill Maxwell matte and I find it hard to focus really and it is supposed to be a great screen.
I think it is a combo also that if you are even a Millimeter off focus it shows big time.. at least on my P30
After a day shooting with it I have a huge headache from squinting and rolling the focus knob back and forth for every shot.. really quite a pain and more of a pain then I ever thought!
The worse thing is I have about 20/20 vision...:+{
Also I bought by accident a PD prism that I think is actually for a RB but works.. but I do not think it is as bright as maybe a a better prism finder might be.
By the way my focusing problems are with the WLF. I have given up on the PD prism finder is it is not what I expected.
I actually was sold on the RZ after visiting a friends place in New York and he had the RZ with P45 back and I was amazed at the focusing, How easy it was!!! But when I actually got my RZII in studio I started having problems and realized how crucial the focusing was!!!
WIll let you know what I think about the Screen.
I battled between Vertical and Horizontal split screen but finally decided on Vertical.
With the RZ shooting Vert and Hor with out changing anything I wanted Vertical in the end.. I think...:+}
I posted a thread and not many seem to interested or willing to offer their opinions.
Snook

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:50:32 pm »

Chris I will let you know for sure.
I have right now the Bill Maxwell matte and I find it hard to focus really and it is supposed to be a great screen.
I think it is a combo also that if you are even a Millimeter off focus it shows big time.. at least on my P30
After a day shooting with it I have a huge headache from squinting and rolling the focus knob back and forth for every shot.. really quite a pain and more of a pain then I ever thought!
The worse thing is I have about 20/20 vision...:+{
Also I bought by accident a PD prism that I think is actually for a RB but works.. but I do not think it is as bright as maybe a a better prism finder might be.
By the way my focusing problems are with the WLF. I have given up on the PD prism finder is it is not what I expected.
I actually was sold on the RZ after visiting a friends place in New York and he had the RZ with P45 back and I was amazed at the focusing, How easy it was!!! But when I actually got my RZII in studio I started having problems and realized how crucial the focusing was!!!
WIll let you know what I think about the Screen.
I battled between Vertical and Horizontal split screen but finally decided on Vertical.
With the RZ shooting Vert and Hor with out changing anything I wanted Vertical in the end.. I think...:+}
I posted a thread and not many seem to interested or willing to offer their opinions.
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193649\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For the Contax, which has a smaller viewing prims than most I have tried bright screens, microprisms and finally just went back to the standard screens.

I focus about 1/2 auto and 1/2 manual and it's wierd, if I tell myself to get it and I focus with confidence, (maybe even a little false confidence) I am usually 95% on, but if I start searching and squinting hoping to find that exact pop where it's right I usually miss, so I guess I'm saying I just don't worry about it and shoot the thing.

It usually works out.

JR

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 08:30:28 pm »

The standard screen on the RZ was the easiest for me to focus in terms of knowing when something was in/out of focus. I have a Beattie matte screen on now and the focus falloff is not so good, but it is about 3 stops brighter than the standard screen.

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 11:16:40 am »

The thing with manual focus lenses is that you always think turning the barrel a little more will make it sharper but then you have to rotate back when it becomes soft. It was very tiring for me with RZs but more so with old Hasselblads. I did an exercise that really worked, and it was to "memorize" what sharp is with that VF and try to lock in one move, and trust it. You really improve your sharp keepers.

Snook

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 02:33:41 pm »

The thing with manual focus lenses is that you always think turning the barrel a little more will make it sharper but then you have to rotate back when it becomes soft. It was very tiring for me with RZs but more so with old Hasselblads. I did an exercise that really worked, and it was to "memorize" what sharp is with that VF and try to lock in one move, and trust it. You really improve your sharp keepers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=193830\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well Just tried out my Split vertical screen and Wow.. Much better than the Maxwell screen I had.
I was afraid about Vertical but for Beauty which I do a lot it is perfect as the focuses split's the eye's and is really easy to focus!!
Glad I changed...
Had a great session yesterday with it.. No headaches after words!!! :+}
I will be picking up the Horizontal as well as it will have it's benefits also and they are really pretty cheap these days!
Snook

Snook

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 05:20:50 pm »

Just thought it was import ( especially for Bill Maxwell ) to make a small note on this post.
I bought an RZ from a guy on this forum and had it sent to a "friends" place in New York.
Well the ex so called friend swiped the Bill Maxwell screen and placed the standard Mamiya screen
and sent me the camera knowing I would probably never take out the screen.
Well I did and sure enough I did not have a Bill Maxwell screen!!!
Talk about Low of Low dirt bags....
I am so pissed that I am going to post this guys name all every photo board I can...
He is actually a member here which will be re-veiled very soon so no one else does business with him.
Snook

ixpressraf

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 12:01:43 pm »

Hey Snook, why do you keep us waiting to let us now with whom we should not do business with???
Maybe he is selling something to someone wright now.....  

Snook

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:11:08 pm »

Hey Snook, why do you keep us waiting to let us now with whom we should not do business with???
Maybe he is selling something to someone wright now.....  
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198767\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Trying to see if he wants to let me know anything beforehand.. He might be out of town etc..
So I would like to speak with him to clear it up..
If he does not e-mail me by tomorrow I will let the forum know. Just in case...
Was not a big rip -off but a dirty one in any case.
Same guys sold me a Profoto Pro7 pack and I thought it was pretty new as he is anal about his stuff usually, But he sent me what seems to be a used pack from some rental company...
Dissapponting to say the least.
Anybody anywhere has access to internet these days so I will give him until tomorrow.
Really stinks b/c I know him for Many years... I guess he just might have a Wanona Ryder (sp) sydrome..?
Snook

RobertJ

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 05:16:33 pm »

I'm confused.  He stole your Maxwell screen from your RZ, and swapped it with a standard screen?

Isn't that the screen you WANT to use, instead of the Maxwell?

Snook

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 06:08:46 pm »

I'm confused.  He stole your Maxwell screen from your RZ, and swapped it with a standard screen?

Isn't that the screen you WANT to use, instead of the Maxwell?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=198855\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To Clear your Confusion and others maybe...:+}
I bought an RZII Pro D from a member here.. everything great.
He sent the Camera to a friend of mine (ex-friend) house in New York so I could have him send it to me through Fedex to where I live.
When the Camera was sent from the guy I bought it from to my friend in NY, My friend switched out the Screen on me, Thinking I would never maybe notice.
One of the selling points for me on the RZ was that it in fact came with a Bill Maxwell Focus Screen.
which is a nice Bonus!
Well when I got the camera (here) I was starting to have trouble focusing etc.. so I made a thread asking for advice as I was suppose to have one of the best focus screens available, So I did not know what was the deal.
So I found at B&H a great deal on a demo Vertical Split screen and decided it was pretty cheap so I should at least try.
Well when I took out the Old (Supposed Bill Maxwell) screen I then saw it was not a screen from him but a regular Mamiya standard screen.
Instantly I was able to focus much better. So I imagine with the Bill Maxwell it would be even better...

So I was Kind of dishing/Complaining about the Bill Maxwell screen when I actually never even had one to begin with, So I did not want Bill to get bad views from me..
Understand..
Hope that clears everything up...

Snook
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:11:06 pm by Snook »

RobertJ

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:47:48 pm »

I understand.

Your "ex-friend" is a sneaky snake. Or at least, he tried to be.  LOL

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 03:18:46 am »

I've read on other forums that Maxwell will take a standard manufacturer's screen and work his magic on the glass. It's possible that may be the case. Have you compared it to another stock RZ67 screen to test for differences?

Snook

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:28:46 am »

I've read on other forums that Maxwell will take a standard manufacturer's screen and work his magic on the glass. It's possible that may be the case. Have you compared it to another stock RZ67 screen to test for differences?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
trying to find that out... Thank you
The guy who probably swiped it told me that it should be signed by Bill Himself on the Screen?
I looked everywhere and can not see any signature?
Does anybody know about that?
Well the screen is WAY worst than the new Vertical split screen(mamiya) I bought, So I cannot imagine that this is one of his as it really stinks!!!
Thanks

Snook
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 03:52:11 pm by Snook »

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 07:31:23 pm »

I have two Maxwell screens on hand and none of them is sign nor marked by Maxwell.
Maxwell screen is much brighter than standard so it is easy to recognize. It also seem a bit blurry due to increase amount of circular lines on fresnel.
It is great to add some amount of brightness to dark subjects but over all it is harder to focus regardless of brightness. It is just my opinion
Andre
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:32:15 pm by AndreNapier »

Snook

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 10:11:56 am »

I have two Maxwell screens on hand and none of them is sign nor marked by Maxwell.
Maxwell screen is much brighter than standard so it is easy to recognize. It also seem a bit blurry due to increase amount of circular lines on fresnel.
It is great to add some amount of brightness to dark subjects but over all it is harder to focus regardless of brightness. It is just my opinion
Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=199302\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well My friend? just sent me some pictures of His Maxwell screen and they are clearly marked Maxwell with what looks to be a sticker and the black frame look really new.
Mine is definitely not , as it STINKS. I cannot focus worth beans with it and when put a Mamiya Split Vertical screen in which is "normal" mamiya screen, it was like night and day...
So I am sure I would be loving the Maxwell screen.
Thanks for the comment
Snook
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up