Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acratech Leveling Base works in both axis?  (Read 2249 times)

kendal

Acratech Leveling Base works in both axis?
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:05:11 am »

Does the Acratech Leveling Base works for leveling two axis? It looks like it is tilting only in one axis.

maybe someone can explain.

Marlyn

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:41:17 am »

Does the Acratech Leveling Base works for leveling two axis? It looks like it is tilting only in one axis.

maybe someone can explain.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192453\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have one.  It definatly works in 2 dimensions.  It's like a mini ballhead really, with a single adjustment knob to loosen / tighten.

I find its very fast to use to level quickly, light-weight and works well, however there are a couple of downsides.

1. It takes practice to get it level, and clamp it off, with a camera mounted on the ballhead above.

2.  It slips when used with heavy camera / Lens.  a 5D or 1D series with a 300mm barely works, and often it decides it wants to fall over unless its done up VERY tight.  

3. It really dosn't like it when I use the GV2 head in gimbal mode with the 300mm. (i.e. Lens hanging off the side of the ball head).  It definatly wants to tilt, and is so annoying, I have to take it off when using it in this manner.  This also goes when I use a Wimberly Sidekick as well.

The GV2 works quite well as a light weight gimbal, but NOT in companion with the leveling Base.  In fact it becomes a pain (litteraly as well, I've had fingers caught between knobs when it decided to tilt on me).

For lightweight work, i'e camera and a wide angle etc, it works just fine, and I use it a log when doing Pano's with my TS-E 24mm, 24-105 and 5D.

Regards

Mark.

kendal

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 07:49:59 am »

Mark, thanks for your answer.

I intend to use it for panorama photography - leveling my panorama head. do you think it can handle the weight of my panorama equipment:
seitz vr head, Nikon D3, Nikkor 14-24mm.

Marlyn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:24:35 pm »

Mark, thanks for your answer.

I intend to use it for panorama photography - leveling my panorama head. do you think it can handle the weight of my panorama equipment:
seitz vr head, Nikon D3, Nikkor 14-24mm.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192461\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, that would be fine, and for this purpose, its very quick and easy to use, and lite.

You get about 15 degree's of tilt correction, which I generally find is plenty.  I only have to get the tripod 'somewhere close' to level, and then finish with the levelling base.

Regards

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up