Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 profiling other printers with APS  (Read 3334 times)

rdonson

Regards,
Ron

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Z3100 profiling other printers with APS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:49:02 pm »

Very well written, and much appreciated!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 03:52:30 am »

Great help , thanks to Charlie.

I'm surprised at the A4/Letter jamming though as I didn't have any problems before other than needing to leave the lid open to load the small sheets.
It would be interesting to make a small profiling chart for other than max densities, for testing paper samples. I can imagine that the ColorMunki would be the better solution than the small chart in APS, but it sounds like it could be done according to Charlie's directives in the essay.
The small density chart is much easier than my old manual reading of the calibration patches, and or small chart plots read in ColorThink or Measure Tool.

rickk

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:36:28 pm »

more thanks to Charlie for describing how this aspect of the Z3100 works.

Regards,  Rick

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 05:14:27 pm »

Luminous Landscape Essay
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192370\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Many thanks for the information. I will look into it.

I am still puzzled why the HP standard profiles still seem to be better ( more saturated at least and  a lot different) than the profiles coming from the APS on the actual paper- do you have insight in this?

regards, Pieter Kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 05:27:26 pm »

Many thanks for the information. I will look into it.

I am still puzzled why the HP standard profiles still seem to be better ( more saturated at least and  a lot different) than the profiles coming from the APS on the actual paper- do you have insight in this?

regards, Pieter Kers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192541\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which papers do you see this with?
Regards,
Ron

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 06:08:19 pm »

Which papers do you see this with?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did not do any real investigation, but...
1 hP HM smooth fine art paper- the reds of the standard profile are more intense ( larger gamut)

At the moment I am using a less sophisticated paper- HP coated paper- also there I find the brighter colours with the standard profile and a very different behaviour when changing the rendering intent.

I use the paper setting as HP has indicated.

My idea is that there are better ways to get the best out of the ink- paper combination than by simply using the APS- system alone. HP I guess, has put more time and effort into it than I can de with only the APS- system.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 06:58:39 pm »

Neil's probably in a much better position to comment on how HP made the profiles they shipped.  They're probably better than the 480 patch standard stuff.

For me the APS profiles have worked well.  I really like what I'm getting out of the HP Premium Instant Dry Satin.  I also recently took Neil's advice and tried the HP Pro High Gloss Contract Proofing paper for some sports posters.  Wow!  They really pop.

On matte papers APS worked well for me with non-HP papers.  The trick was using the right paper types and figuring out how much ink to lay down.

I like the results I get with APS profiles for HP's Hahnemuhle SFA and the HP Matte Litho Realistic but honestly I really never tested against the stock profiles.
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 02:01:39 am »

The canned profiles are made with a very similar method as the built in profiler by way of the HP profiler which is what they use at HP. Perhaps the latest are simply the Print center profiles which I was told is what they intended to use for release machines. The APS uses the Profile Maker Logo library version 6.0x which interprets completely different than the HP one. You should find the HP better at greys, but not as good at saturated colours in all areas except reds on fine art paper.
Profile applications have always had their flavours. The best I've seen are both Monaco Profiler, and better but command line only Argyll (Open Source). The internal HP Z profiles are closer to Heidelberg than Logo, and the differences show as such. I haven't seen or used GMG for the Z but I can imagine it is an excellent iterative closed loop profiler that works well for pre-press production.

Litho Realistic is a good setting to use on FA.
In gamut colour is going to be close on both HP or APS, it's just at the edges of the gamut boundary where you will find advantages with APS profiles made with the 918 charts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up