Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ready to buy a 20D  (Read 6857 times)

jani

• Øyet
Ready to buy a 20D
« on: August 24, 2005, 04:07:52 pm »

I'd recommend going for stores that are known to be good, such as Adorama or B&H.

While they may not be the ones with the cheapest prices, they certainly won't try to cheat you.

I've only had personal experience with B&H, and I'm satisfied so far. No trouble at all, just quick and excellent.
Jan

Pete

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 07:24:35 pm »

B&H is easy to deal with -- whether by phone or internet.  I've used them often, and the items arrive very quickly, usually in just a few days.

ARD

• http://
Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 06:23:19 am »

I would be careful in buying a 20D. Until recently I had a 20D. Yes it is a fantastic camera, the image quality and available features are excellent.

However, mine had a problem with front focusing. Normally, this is not noticable. It became apprent to me when I purchased the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro.

I could focus the subject clearly, but the resulting image was always out of focus in the centre. I have read many reports about this problem.

Look here
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=4;t=1088;hl=ard

I believe that this problem is more common than people think, but for a lot of people will never be noticed.

digidon

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:18:45 am »

B&H is a solid company to order from.  They are not the lowest price but have everything in stock and are quick and reliable.
I own a 20D and love it.  Invest in Photoshop cs2 and Noise Ninja software.  These plus the 20D is the perfect package.  Also, get the kit lens, 18-55mm and the 75-300 III lens.  Write me if you have questions.
Don

Graham Welland

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 05:57:10 pm »

I can absolutely recommend B&H and Adorama plus established companies like Camera World, even in their new incarnation.

I strongly believe that you need also to support your local dealers too. If you buy locally, even at a slight premium vs. mail order or web discounted stores, you'll usually get better service and support. I hate to see it when people come into the pro stores and spend time trying out equipment and asking questions and then go home and buy cheaper online. All of a sudden there is no local dealer and the we're the losers.

Further to the Royal Camera feedback, I saw this   recently and it certainly reinforces why I prefer to deal with respectable companies like B&H & locals.
Graham

davidr805

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 03:58:08 pm »

I am ready to buy a 20D. where should I buy it .. I have seen that in some places  Royal Camera is running at 719 USD is it true ? what would you recommend ?

David

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 05:32:31 pm »

Check out their rating and comments on resellerratings.com:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

Stick with a reputable place.  You get what you pay for.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Tibor22

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 09:29:58 pm »

That price sounds too good to be true, so it probably is. I don't know where you're located but Adorama has the 20D body listed at $1129.95. That seems like a genuine and fairly good price.

You might also want to check out some of the reputable electronics dealers. They sometimes have better deals than camera dealers. It also depends on the level of post-sale support you need, which camera dealers may be better at providing.

Ben Rubinstein

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 07:48:15 am »

Royal Camera do not have a good reputation.

davidr805

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 01:23:50 pm »

Thanks all for the input

digidon ....   I also have Photoshop CS2 and Noise NInja : ) so i guess i am in good track ...  I already have a Sigma 15-30mm .. supposedly it is good . should i try to sale it with the 10D? should i get one of the kit lens.

All e mail you if I have more specific questions ..

Thanks

David

LesGirrior

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 02:28:05 pm »

I know this might sound crazy, but you should look around town and see if your local camera shop carries it or can order one in for you.

It can be nice to talk to someone in person, and its good to support the local economy.

Pete

Ready to buy a 20D
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 12:37:34 pm »

As mentioned above, supporting local camera shops is important and beneficial.  The service at mine (Neptune in Garden City, NY) is superb.  People who know you when you walk in and are knowledgable about their equipment.  Although I do order from B&H at times, I buy from my local store as well much more often.  

However, depending upon where you live and the availibility of a good local shop, B&H is a sound alternative.
Pages: [1]   Go Up