Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many Nikon Programs do you need?  (Read 11211 times)

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
How many Nikon Programs do you need?
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:22:58 am »

Hi folkes ... in my attempts (eventually successful) to link up a D300 remotely to my macbook I think I installed every Nikon programme you can get.  I really need to winnow some out ... would I be right that Thumbnail View becomes obsolete with Camera Control Pro, and likewise Nikon View and Transfer when you have Capture NX?

Ros

Daniel Arnaldi

• http://www.danielarnaldi.com
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:53:33 pm »

I assume that by "Thumbnail View" you mean Thumbnail Selector, I don't use Thumbnail Selector much as it's simply a utility which I'm not sure it will read the in camera settings or parametric adjustments made on the computer for rendering the thumbnails.

Nikon View on the other hand I find quite handy to have, it will read all parametric adjustments made in Capture while offering slideshow views straight from NEFs. It will also convert NEFs using all Capture adjustments, Capture slows down a lot when you convert a batch of files, but using View to perform the batch conversions frees up Capture to allow you to continue working.

-Edit-

CORRECTION - I said above that View NX can read and convert all Capture NX adjustments WRONG!!!   It can read all camera adjustments tagged with the NEFs and it will display the images in full resolution with any Capture NX adjustments, but it cannot convert files that have been edited by Capture, so much for sharing adjustments. The batch conversions that I have been using View for have only been with camera settings applied.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:29:14 am by Daniel Arnaldi »

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:40:56 am »

Thanks Daniel

Interesting about View... that would make a lot of sense when using capture as it can be slow all-right.  And yes sorry it's Thumbnail selector..  I have a feeling that you would be talking about its use for browsing images already loaded to the PC ... I'm wondering if it's any use in comparison to Camera Control Pro when using a tethered or WIFI connected camera.  ... Particularly in letting your client see the images as you work

Ros

Daniel Arnaldi

• http://www.danielarnaldi.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 07:56:26 pm »

I have a feeling that you would be talking about its use for browsing images already loaded to the PC ... I'm wondering if it's any use in comparison to Camera Control Pro when using a tethered or WIFI connected camera. ... Particularly in letting your client see the images as you work
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192451\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If your wanting to view images that are in camera then Camera Control makes Thumbnail Selector redundant, if you want to show images to your clients while shooting tethered then a better way would be to download the images to the PC as you shoot and use View to display them in full screen mode.

Pupfish

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:09:16 pm »

Thumbnail Selector is a program bundled with the WT4a Wifi transmitter that functions as an FTP editor so that you can upload only the full res shots you like in order to conserve bandwidth (e.g. images on your wireless network from several photographers shooting simultaneously at an event with D3s or D300s and WT4's).

It requires selecting an FTP protocol profile via an on-camera menu. Because of this and because it's not possible to jump from one transmission protocol/different WT4 profiles/ to another remotely (for instance, to first use PTP with Camera Control Pro II, then switch to Thumbnail Selector). I find it  rather useless for my wireless remotes.

When I tried it out with my D300 and WT4a, I also found that almost as soon the thumbnails came up, the full-res version would start uploading-- unless you were quick to kill them manually.

Nikon's very own version of Whack-A-Mole.

Does the D3 offer different options for saving RAWs in camera and sending only JPEGs?

Ivan J. Eberle
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:02:00 am by Pupfish »
Pages: [1]   Go Up