Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workflow - Editing RAW in PS  (Read 4155 times)

Samotano

• http://flickr.com/photos/97538742@N00/sets/72157603392490862/
Workflow - Editing RAW in PS
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:15:51 pm »

I have a question similar to Potus5 in a recent post.

If I wanted to edit a RAW in PS under Camera Raw hosted by Bridge, I simply chose "Open Image" and PS would open.  No file was written to disk (ok, maybe in a temp folder).  

If I want to do the same in LR, I select "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments", and PS would opne.  However, a psd/tiff file would be written to disk and stacked with the original RAW.

After I am done my edits in PS, depending on what I am doing, I either save a psd/tiff in an "Edits" folder, or save a jpg in a "Web" folder.  I then have to manually delete the psd  that LR created in the process.

Are there ways to bypass this behaviour - i.e. writing a psd in the same location as the raw - ?

The View

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:27:01 am »

I'm not sure about what you are asking here.

It wouldn't make much sense to open an LR file in PS Camera RAW, as it is the same software.

To open it in PS, you just use the keyboard shortcut shift + E.

You get a dialogue:

a. edit copy with LR adjustments. (you will get a TIFF if you choose TIFF in the preferences)

b. edit original (use this option if you forgot something, e.g. using the dodge tool and want to re-edit the TIFF file.

After having done the work in PS, you keyboard command W, and you get a dialog

"save image", and you say "yes". If falls back into the LR database - as a TIFF.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:29:16 am »

One thing that always catches my eye"

Any LR image I open in PS looks already much better just because I opened it in PS.

I wonder why.

And I wonder if I should let images, that I worked on in PS, fall back into the LR database.

Because it looks like that LR cannot display images as well as PS does.

Any comments to this?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Samotano

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:01:07 pm »

I'm not sure about what you are asking here.

It wouldn't make much sense to open an LR file in PS Camera RAW, as it is the same software.

To open it in PS, you just use the keyboard shortcut shift + E.

You get a dialogue:

a. edit copy with LR adjustments. (you will get a TIFF if you choose TIFF in the preferences)

b. edit original (use this option if you forgot something, e.g. using the dodge tool and want to re-edit the TIFF file.

After having done the work in PS, you keyboard command W, and you get a dialog

"save image", and you say "yes". If falls back into the LR database - as a TIFF.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191567\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't think I explained myself well :-(
I am strictly talking about RAW workflow here.  What I mean is that if I want to edit an image in PS, in LR I select the image and click on "Edit a Copy with LR Adjustement" (the only choice with RAW files).  What happens now, is that a copy (psd or Tiff) is automatically saved and stacked with the original RAW. Right?

This behavior is somewhat disruptive to my workflow for a number of reasons.  What I am suggesting/hoping is a workflow closer to ACR under Bridge or PS, where after editing the RAW one can choose to open a copy in PS, YET, unlike LR, no copy is actually saved until you choose to do so in PS.

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 12:46:55 am »

I don't think I explained myself well :-(
I am strictly talking about RAW workflow here.  What I mean is that if I want to edit an image in PS, in LR I select the image and click on "Edit a Copy with LR Adjustement" (the only choice with RAW files).  What happens now, is that a copy (psd or Tiff) is automatically saved and stacked with the original RAW. Right?

This behavior is somewhat disruptive to my workflow for a number of reasons.  What I am suggesting/hoping is a workflow closer to ACR under Bridge or PS, where after editing the RAW one can choose to open a copy in PS, YET, unlike LR, no copy is actually saved until you choose to do so in PS.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191757\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
There are two approaches to this:
  • Use an Export preset to generate PSDs of the selected images into your specified folder (i.e. not automatically in the same folder).  Those PSDs won't be seen in the catalog, so you probably want to follow up with an Import of the target folder.
    You can then use "Edit Original" when getting Lightroom to open up the file in Photoshop.
  • As long as you've saved the metadata out to the file (either via auto-write or with Control/Cmd-S) you can drag files directly from the filmstrip or from Library's grid view to Photoshop, and open them within Photoshop without necessarily having to save intermediate copies.  Obviously this assumes that your Photoshop is running the version of the ACR plugin that matches your LR version: with older versions of Photoshop you're better off sticking to PSD/TIFF files for interchange.
I think the combination of those methods is as close to your desired functionality as you'll get for now.

Samotano

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 01:49:15 am »

There are two approaches to this:
  • Use an Export preset to generate PSDs of the selected images into your specified folder (i.e. not automatically in the same folder).  Those PSDs won't be seen in the catalog, so you probably want to follow up with an Import of the target folder.
    You can then use "Edit Original" when getting Lightroom to open up the file in Photoshop.
  • As long as you've saved the metadata out to the file (either via auto-write or with Control/Cmd-S) you can drag files directly from the filmstrip or from Library's grid view to Photoshop, and open them within Photoshop without necessarily having to save intermediate copies.  Obviously this assumes that your Photoshop is running the version of the ACR plugin that matches your LR version: with older versions of Photoshop you're better off sticking to PSD/TIFF files for interchange.
I think the combination of those methods is as close to your desired functionality as you'll get for now.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, I will try both of your suggestions.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 09:37:21 am »

One thing that always catches my eye"
Any LR image I open in PS looks already much better just because I opened it in PS.

I wonder why.

And I wonder if I should let images, that I worked on in PS, fall back into the LR database.

Because it looks like that LR cannot display images as well as PS does.
Any comments to this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mine looks the same.  I assume your color settings in PS preserve the profiles?  Is your working space ProPhotoRGB in both?  

What differences do you notice, global color differences or local detail?
Pages: [1]   Go Up