Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photographic make-up -  (Read 3047 times)

The View

Photographic make-up -
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:50:55 pm »

In my experience make-up isn't that key any more like with film.

I'd rather have no make-up than a make-up artist that smears too much of the stuff into the face, and then the whole skin feel is gone.

I tried out some make-up that I got from an actor, which only covers the skin very superficially, and leaves the breathing skin character alone. Just takes care of the gloss and prevents specks in the skin to show up too much.

Can you recommend brands or what exactly to buy so I have it ready?

Thanks.

(PS: I didn't see a category for this, so I put it into "gear")
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Kika Livno

• http://
Photographic make-up -
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:04:17 pm »

In my experience make-up isn't that key any more like with film.

I'd rather have no make-up than a make-up artist that smears too much of the stuff into the face, and then the whole skin feel is gone.

I tried out some make-up that I got from an actor, which only covers the skin very superficially, and leaves the breathing skin character alone. Just takes care of the gloss and prevents specks in the skin to show up too much.

Can you recommend brands or what exactly to buy so I have it ready?

Thanks.

(PS: I didn't see a category for this, so I put it into "gear")
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm giving you the link [a href=\"http://www.smashbox.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/look.expertAdvice/nodeID/60daebd0-a7aa-416a-a2c8-0a5849f1aca1/lookId/38a785cd-551d-4dc1-8630-0e94a6d52daf]H E R E[/url]

That is what every makeup artist I've been working with is using, ironically the photo on their webpage is too retouched for my taste but if you go to your local store you will find it and do your worst  .

Anyway, I don't think any other company makes dedicated photo makeup, this is it!!!

Hope it works for you, regardless I would like to hear your thoughts after you test it!!!

Cheers
[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:

The View

Photographic make-up -
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:01:23 am »

I'm giving you the link H E R E

That is what every makeup artist I've been working with is using, ironically the photo on their webpage is too retouched for my taste but if you go to your local store you will find it and do your worst  .

Anyway, I don't think any other company makes dedicated photo makeup, this is it!!!

Hope it works for you, regardless I would like to hear your thoughts after you test it!!!

Cheers
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the link!

This is a whole system, but I'm actually only looking for something like a very light base that keeps the skin looking like skin, but prevents reflections.

And to smoothen out a little bit spots and blood vessels too close to the skin surface.

PS: you're right. The girl on the website has too much make-up (probably half a ton, and it will crack in the sun like desert ground).
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

dennysb

• http://www.dennysphoto.com
Photographic make-up -
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 05:14:09 pm »

I am not sure what you are looking for for end results,

I do a lot portrait work with young models and actors and the right make-up is critical. My style of photography is one where I do not want people to look fake. In few cases I might do a artistic portrait, but those are mostly a result of photoshop manipulation.

Here are couple of observations, just my 2 cents worth:

- Is not the right photo make up that matters (just good make up) It is having the correct MUA person to applied

- What makes most of the portrait photos look fake is not the make-up. It is the fact that people OVER do the use of photoshop like tools to the point the person looks plastic. People are obsess in making people's skin super smooth in photoshop.

Point in case, the link given on this thread, Yes the girl looks fake, BUT it is due to Overuse of Photoshop like tools, NOT make up.

So find a good person that know how to apply make up (MUA) and tell them what you are looking for, say a natural look with light brown accents. The better she/he does his job, the less time you will be spend editing.

Just my 2cents worth

:-)

Thanks for the link!

This is a whole system, but I'm actually only looking for something like a very light base that keeps the skin looking like skin, but prevents reflections.

And to smoothen out a little bit spots and blood vessels too close to the skin surface.

PS: you're right. The girl on the website has too much make-up (probably half a ton, and it will crack in the sun like desert ground).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dennys Bisogno
 [url=http://www.de

The View

Photographic make-up -
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:27 am »

I am not sure what you are looking for for end results,

I do a lot portrait work with young models and actors and the right make-up is critical. My style of photography is one where I do not want people to look fake. In few cases I might do a artistic portrait, but those are mostly a result of photoshop manipulation.

Here are couple of observations, just my 2 cents worth:

- Is not the right photo make up that matters (just good make up) It is having the correct MUA person to applied

- What makes most of the portrait photos look fake is not the make-up. It is the fact that people OVER do the use of photoshop like tools to the point the person looks plastic. People are obsess in making people's skin super smooth in photoshop.

Point in case, the link given on this thread, Yes the girl looks fake, BUT it is due to Overuse of Photoshop like tools, NOT make up.

So find a good person that know how to apply make up (MUA) and tell them what you are looking for, say a natural look with light brown accents. The better she/he does his job, the less time you will be spend editing.

Just my 2cents worth

:-)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192736\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with that. Overdoing with Photoshop ruins a lot.

My idea of good make-up is: when you see it's make-up, it's already poor make-up.

Regarding my original post:

I get many young actors and actresses that simply can't afford the additional 125$ for a good make-up artist.

I have no trouble getting a good shot without make-up, but I'd prefer to have a very slight application of make-up that just takes a bit of the gloss, but lets the glow of the skin alone. Such a very thin base would also help disguise skin problems like spots or acne scars (one has to retouch anyway, but I feel it is better to have this very simple "priming".

I just don't know what to ask for in a make-up store if I want to buy some for me so I can give it to the actor to put it on.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 12:49:34 am by The View »
Pages: [1]   Go Up