Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera store near LA Convention center?  (Read 4815 times)

Ulf

Camera store near LA Convention center?
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

I'll be in LA convention center next week and was contemplating taking advantage of the favorable exchange rate by buying some lenses that I've had an eye on for some time.

I thought about ordering online, but would like to have the option of making sure the lens is ok (and possibly getting a replacement before, or at least a refund) before heading back to Europe. So are there any good camera stores near the convention center?

There seems to be a Samys camera rental, but I have no idea if they also sell from that location..

cheers, Ulf

sesshin

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:17:31 pm »

I would drive over to Fairfax Avenue and go to Samy's there. Thats probably the biggest camera store in LA. They definitely sell from there.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:17:49 pm by sesshin »

Ulf

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:54:01 pm »

Ok, thanks for the advice. It doesn't look like it's far. I presume I would have to add sales tax to the prices I see on their site. Can I refund sales tax when leaving the country as in Europe or?

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:51:15 pm »

Yes go to Samy's on Fairfax. But give yourself some time, you will probably be overwhelmed by the floor after floor jammed with gear of every kind. Have fun.

I have no idea about the sales tax.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

francois

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:42:04 am »

Ok, thanks for the advice. It doesn't look like it's far. I presume I would have to add sales tax to the prices I see on their site. Can I refund sales tax when leaving the country as in Europe or?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Unfortunately, I don't think that you can get a refund on sales tax as it's not the equivalent of European VAT.
Francois

ccrews

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 02:40:45 pm »

Calumet is only a few blocks from Samy's and has great customer service, and a great return policy.  However nothing beats the selection available In-Store at Samy's  

Be aware that the in store price at Samy's does not match their webiste, you can sometimes haggle the sales guy down, but you will have to ask.  Another plus for Calumet is the web price is the store price and their prices rival B&H and Samy's Online prices.

www.calumetphoto.com
1135 N. Highland Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 03:42:16 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=191055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sales tax is generally imposed based on point of delivery, so to not pay sales tax means the store would have to ship the item somewhere outside of the state it was purchased in.   If you shipped the items to Europe they probably wouldn't charge tax, but guessing that would cost more than the tax.
Pages: [1]   Go Up