Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR Preview and ACR Panels  (Read 13436 times)

bjanes

ACR Preview and ACR Panels
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:14:31 am »

In going through the CR10_ToneCurves movie, I came across a dialog between Jeff and Michael which I found confusing.

Micheal (13:40): When does preview show you everything you have done in the various panels?

Jeff: ? Never

Micheal (14:00): Preview is only relevant to the panel that you are in at the moment?

Jeff: correct

It seems to me that preview in the basic panel should also reflect changes made in the other panels so that we know what the final adjustments have done. To demonstrate the behavior of the previews, I looked at an image of an over-exposed step wedge. Here is the image with ACR defaults viewed from the basic panel:
[attachment=6161:attachment]

And here is the image with AutoCorrect with preview on as viewed in the basic panel:
[attachment=6162:attachment]

Now, going to the point curve panel with preview on, the preview is showing the change made in the basic panel with autocorrect.
[attachment=6166:attachment]

Now I apply a point curve with the preview on:
[attachment=6163:attachment]

And with the preview off:
[attachment=6164:attachment]

And going back to the basic panel with preview on. The preview is showing the effect of the point curve in addition to the changes made in the basic panel. While I have not made changes in the other panels, the basic preview is at least showing the change made in the curve panel.

[attachment=6165:attachment]

Comments and clarifications are welcome.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:16:01 am by bjanes »

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:23:11 am »

I think the question When does preview show you everything you have done in the various panels? has been misunderstood.

If the question was When can you deactivate everything you have done in the various panels?, then the answer never would be correct.

It appears, that the effects of all adjustments are shown always, except those made on the current panel if preview is deactivated.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 11:24:21 am by Panopeeper »
Gabor

bjanes

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

I think the question When does preview show you everything you have done in the various panels? has been misunderstood.

If the question was When can you deactivate everything you have done in the various panels?, then the answer never would be correct.

It appears, that the effects of all adjustments are shown always, except those made on the current panel if preview is deactivated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is how I interpret the situation also. If one is on the basic panel with preview on, then the effects of all adjustments are previewed, which is what Michael was asking.

Bill

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 09:39:56 am »

That is how I interpret the situation also. If one is on the basic panel with preview on, then the effects of all adjustments are previewed, which is what Michael was asking.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190170\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No other opinions on what I would consider to be an important topic? It is important to see the effects of all adjustments before one concluded editing.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:16:25 pm »

Poking around it looks like panopeeper is right.

Clicking preview off only seems to impact the current panel.  I'm a little surprised (now) that it isn't a sticky on each panel.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 12:58:36 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you want to see the image as it was when first opened, go to the fly out menu and select Image Settings which will go back to the settings in place when the image was opened in Camera Raw initially. Going to Custom Settings will go back to the previous state. From there you can use Camera Raw's multiple undo to get to any state up to and including the first opened state.

bjanes

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 01:11:18 pm »

If you want to see the image as it was when first opened, go to the fly out menu and select Image Settings which will go back to the settings in place when the image was opened in Camera Raw initially. Going to Custom Settings will go back to the previous state. From there you can use Camera Raw's multiple undo to get to any state up to and including the first opened state.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190788\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is interesting, but Micheal's question was, "When does preview show you everything you have done in the various panels?" In other words, how can you view all changes made in the various panels just prior to saving or printing the image? There must be some way to do that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:13:33 pm by bjanes »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 05:55:41 pm »

That is interesting, but Micheal's question was, "When does preview show you everything you have done in the various panels?" In other words, how can you view all changes made in the various panels just prior to saving or printing the image? There must be some way to do that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=190793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Panopeeper's answer is correct, and agrees with what you observed. Preview=Checked shows you everything you've done. If you think about it, this is the only thing that makes sense. If Preview=Checked only showed changes made on the current tab, it would be impossible to see what the image will look like when you hit done/open.

Preview=Unchecked only turns off changes you've made on the current tab.

To toggle between all changes you've made on/off, Set Preview=Checked, and from the drop-down menu you can change back and forth between "Image Settings" and "Custom Settings".
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:56:22 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up