Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Digital Back  (Read 3009 times)

hobbsr

Which Digital Back
« on: April 13, 2008, 12:27:55 am »

Hi,

I have expanded my thoughts on which digital back from my earlier post on the Sinar e22 vs P1 P30.

I can see that there are clear advantages for the P1 P30 as well as the P25 and the later + versions. I have decided to ask the question a different way to seek your guidance and advice.

What I am looking for in a digital back is the following:
1. Best image quality to investment ratio
2. High iso performance as a choice either 400 or 800
3. Works well with my MF system Mamiya 645 AFD II
4. Usage will be mixed from weddings, portraits to commercial jobs more a general all around approach would be good, the key for me is it has to be well above a Canon 5D or 1DM III to be worth the investment

Hope that is a better way of asking the question if there are any high iso RAW files someone can make available that would be great as some links in other posts are dead now.

My research has lead me to think that the P25 could be the best option reburb for the following:
1. 1.1 lens factor and largest sensor
2. 9 micron pixel size

These seem to be the key although outside of 16bit the ZD back seems an option? Happy for anybody to assist any misunderstanding I have? I think that Sinar image quality is great if only at the optimal iso which is very low 25 or 50? Seems a factor with the Dalsa sensors as well as limited long exposure.

Thanks

Rodney

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Which Digital Back
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:09:55 am »

Why the P25? I have not ever once cared about my pixel size but only about the image that comes out of the thing. Meaning, I have not found the bigger pixel size of eg. my Aptus17 delivering really better files than the smaller pixels of my CF39. If it would I could always mask that by downsizing the 39MP files to 17MP files

From the points you give what is important to you I probably would be looking at the P30(+) or the A65(s).

1) These give the best bang for the buck.
2) Have the upper hand of ISO performance (specifically the P30) compared to most other backs.
3) Both work very well with the Mamiya AFDII
4) Both can handle your mentioned circumstances well, the P30 is allegedly very well in avoiding that dreadful moire in the brides dress ;, they resolve well above the 5D's capabilities.

Downside of both of them are the wide angle capability but this is not on your list. The P30 might be a risk with movements which isn't on your list either.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 01:00:43 pm by Dustbak »

jonstewart

Which Digital Back
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:28:04 am »

P30.

The microlenses are not so good for shooting with movements, which you might be needing for some commercial (what type commercial?)

Hope this helps
J
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Which Digital Back
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:10:36 am »

P30.

The microlenses are not so good for shooting with movements, which you might be needing for some commercial (what type commercial?)

Hope this helps
J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The P30 with its microlenses can actually handle minor movements pretty well on a MEDIUM FORMAT platform such as the Mamiya 645AFD with the 45mm  Hartblei t/s super rotator.  (Granted the Hartblei may not be the holy grail of t/s lenses, but overall it is a good lens, well-received for what it offers, and has its moments).  The Mamiya literature warning of aberrations with movements refers to large format platforms with greater abilty of t/s movements.

And here, since the AFD II seems to be the chosen platform, I don't think the P30 microlenses will be a limitation....

: )

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Which Digital Back
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 12:38:20 pm »

Ken beat me to it.  The only limitation the P30 microlenses have is when/if you want to mount the back on a view or technical camera.  Since the question came up regarding the use on a 645 AFD this should be a non issue.

As far as most bang for the buck … I still believe the P30 series offers just that in that you get a higher pixel count while only loosing a very small image area to the crop.  I’ve used the P30 along with the new 28mm lens with great success.  

don

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Which Digital Back
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

Hi,

I have expanded my thoughts on which digital back from my earlier post on the Sinar e22 vs P1 P30.

I can see that there are clear advantages for the P1 P30 as well as the P25 and the later + versions. I have decided to ask the question a different way to seek your guidance and advice.

What I am looking for in a digital back is the following:
1. Best image quality to investment ratio
2. High iso performance as a choice either 400 or 800
3. Works well with my MF system Mamiya 645 AFD II
4. Usage will be mixed from weddings, portraits to commercial jobs more a general all around approach would be good, the key for me is it has to be well above a Canon 5D or 1DM III to be worth the investment

Hope that is a better way of asking the question if there are any high iso RAW files someone can make available that would be great as some links in other posts are dead now.

My research has lead me to think that the P25 could be the best option reburb for the following:
1. 1.1 lens factor and largest sensor
2. 9 micron pixel size

These seem to be the key although outside of 16bit the ZD back seems an option? Happy for anybody to assist any misunderstanding I have? I think that Sinar image quality is great if only at the optimal iso which is very low 25 or 50? Seems a factor with the Dalsa sensors as well as limited long exposure.

Thanks

Rodney
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189120\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From your other post I think you said weddings are part of your portfolio of work

I very occasionally do weddings - it is not part of my business

Using the nikon d3 the AF walks on any MF system - I think you need a top end DSLR for the majority of the images

Pushing any DB into 400-800 region means you are shooting in low light when the AF wont work properly and the files will not be in thier prime region

And in church no flash 800 is not enough

A DSLR get images the you need 'in the bag' with absolute reliablility and no stress - I love my D3 - there is no stress

UNTIL the sun comes out - then 250 synch at 200 ISO equals f16 , dust on the sensor, and flash recyle times slowing and battereis emptying - STRESS TIME

SO

IMO you need to shoot DSLR, - if your budget is limited just get a 1ds3

But if you have a bit more cash you may be looking to 'art up' the wedding images a bit with some more formal portraits - probably lit with an elly ranger or such like and using a MF camera for great quality

At this point low ISO is your brother because you can crank up that ranger and kill off the sun on the brightest of days

And then there is the big group shot, the P30 is a crop and may force you to spend on the mega expensive 28 mamiya lens*

SO

IMO get a brillant DSLR - its a must

and maybe MFDB too

At this point you forget the concept of getting a 800 ISO MFDB (thats what you use the DSLR for) and can get an E22 or a P25 which are both great at 100

Id get the E22 because the back has adapters and 3GB of onboard storage no buffer - and when you realise that the Mamiya must go because its slow flash sysnch is STRESSING you out on sunny days and realise you need to flip to an H1 or a rollei or HY6 you can do it for $800

Or you could get the ZD but I woulnd want that buffer on a wedding

Of course watch for updates the the Mafd system and possible leaf lenses - that could make the Mafd system usable or get a RZ for bright days

Whatever get something that keeps down your STRESS and lets you concentrate on the people and not the gear

SMM
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:26:41 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up