Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does Aperture hande jpeg with raw  (Read 14632 times)

bryanyc

How does Aperture hande jpeg with raw
« on: April 02, 2008, 05:32:04 pm »

can anyone tell me if (if I am correct) you shoot raw and jpeg of the same shot how aperture handles the display of the two files.  It shows only one image correct?  What if you want to access only the jpeg (for export or the in camera sharpening/color settings for the file)?
thanks

Jack Leavitt

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:57:04 am »

can anyone tell me if (if I am correct) you shoot raw and jpeg of the same shot how aperture handles the display of the two files.  It shows only one image correct?  What if you want to access only the jpeg (for export or the in camera sharpening/color settings for the file)?
thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186539\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are correct about seeing only the RAW file.  However, when you export; choose Export to JPEG.

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 01:38:11 pm »

can anyone tell me if (if I am correct) you shoot raw and jpeg of the same shot how aperture handles the display of the two files.  It shows only one image correct?  What if you want to access only the jpeg (for export or the in camera sharpening/color settings for the file)?
thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=186539\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You only see the RAW.

You can work with the JPEG via the "new version from master JPEG" command.  You can also export the master JPEG.

IMO, a RAW+JPEG workflow when using products such as Aperture or Lightroom is 99.5% worthless.  Maybe 99.999% worthless.  Just shoot RAW.

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 02:06:54 pm »

So for someone like myself who has just bought a new Nikon and wants to get an idea of the effect of the different picture controls it isn't possible to do this if I have shot RAW as well?

Do the picture controls have an effect on the embedded jpeg? I want to try to streamline my workflow. Would like the ease of shooting jpeg sometimes where I am not after utmost quality and will have taken a lot of shots.

The other thing which I'd like to be able to do is a master adjustment of different combinations of saved presets in each of the panels. Obviously 'lift' enables this, but suppose the equivalent of LR develop settings is what I'm after.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 05:20:37 pm »

As said above you only get the RAW image - this is imported into Aperture and it will not see the JPEG. The Picture Styles from Canon are not supported by Aperture and I assume the Nikon equivalents are not either, so replicating these settings without a little intervention is not possible.

However, creating different versions of the imported images is not difficult within Aperture and it easily allows you to create presets for various individual settings - could be colour balance, monochrome, etc. You can go a long way to replicating the camera presets, but with much more control and flexibility.
Pete Truman

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 09:26:52 pm »

So for someone like myself who has just bought a new Nikon and wants to get an idea of the effect of the different picture controls it isn't possible to do this if I have shot RAW as well?

Do the picture controls have an effect on the embedded jpeg? I want to try to streamline my workflow. Would like the ease of shooting jpeg sometimes where I am not after utmost quality and will have taken a lot of shots.

The other thing which I'd like to be able to do is a master adjustment of different combinations of saved presets in each of the panels. Obviously 'lift' enables this, but suppose the equivalent of LR develop settings is what I'm after.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=225242\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Embedded JPEGs do nothing.  You can't use them with Aperture (or with Lightroom).  The one exception is Aperture's "quick preview" which will use the embedded JPEG for display when you're in that mode, if you didn't let it generate its own preview.

Frankly, with Aperture, forget about JPEGs.  Shoot RAW and not RAW+JPEG.  Given you can generate JPEGs from the RAWs in about one second per picture, it's just not worth the space for the JPEG.

Carl Berger

• http://sitemaker.umich.edu/cberger
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 05:01:54 pm »

I'm using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 and have imported both RAW+jpeg and RAW only. The only way to get a jpeg preview is to import both RAW and jpeg. Importing RAW alone doe not allow the option "New version from master jpeg." (that option is 'greyed-out)
The only way I can get the jpegs to use in Aperture is to convert RAW to jpeg using a program that does handle Lumix RAW and importing that to Aperture. So far I can use Sylkypix, Photoshop and a couple of others but Apple doesn't as yet support RW2 raw in spite of vigorous lobbying by Lumix users.
So this problem is not yet solved!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:02:33 pm by Carl Berger »
Pages: [1]   Go Up