Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few notes about the GX100 review  (Read 8621 times)

Prognathous

A few notes about the GX100 review
« on: March 23, 2008, 06:04:24 pm »

First, thank you Michael for the great review (as usual). I've personally been waiting a long time to hear your opinion on a Ricoh camera, and the wait was worth it. I do have a few corrections/notes to make:

- AF may be "slowish" when using half-press, but when you do a full-press the camera skips contrast-detection AF and just uses its external phase-detection sensors. In this method it trades absolute accuracy for speed. Skipping half-press is usually not a good idea, but in pressing situation it's good to know that the camera can focus and capture a shot in an instant. It takes less time than switching to Snap AF mode, and if the sensor happens to be on the subject, it's actually more accurate.

- The GX100 does have a cable release socket - the USB socket. You do need Ricoh's dedicated CA-1 cable release to use it though.

- Interval shooting with the GX100 can yield amazing movies, depending on the expertise of the photographer. See Martin Setvak's work with the GX100 for some really excellent interval-based movies.

- Adorama is not the exclusive dealer in the US. Popflash.com is a smaller dealer, but well respected one that sells Ricoh gear. I have very good experience buying from them and many of the other users at the Ricoh Talk forum over at dpreview.com share the same good experience.

Prog.

Tim.Lewis

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:46:48 pm »

I have not read the review, but also have a lower model Ricoh, the R40, that I use when in the outback.  As with many Ricoh models, it includes a basic intervalometer and I use it quite a bit for time lapse.

The Ricoh tends to limit the shortest interval to 5 seconds, which is good for landscape and clouds but the 1 sec interval on my D200 I tend to find better for crowds and traffic.

Cheers

Tim
[span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Geneva']Got a Mac, not going back![/span][/span]

citizenjoe

• Antarctica 2016
    • www.HughConacher.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:46:48 am »

I loved my GX100.  Had it shipped to Canada from Adorama as you can't get them here.  Then a nasty person stole it from me in Toronto in December.  Very sad....
Hugh, from Winnipeg.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:04:22 am »

I have been using one since the day it was released and love it.

Not perfect image quality wise, but very nice overall.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:07:46 am by BernardLanguillier »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:44:08 am »

And how many images did you sitch to get that one, Bernard? Eight? Sixteen?  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:40:58 pm »

And how many images did you sitch to get that one, Bernard? Eight? Sixteen? 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric... I have to confess... shamingly... that this is a single capture... sigh...  

Cheers,
Bernard

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 03:18:15 am »

why the GX100 over the GR-D ?   The GR-D seems to have certain advantages, including (even) better stealth...  The zoom on the GX doesn't seem all that significant.
--
David Mantripp

sojournerphoto

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:45:23 am »

why the GX100 over the GR-D ?   The GR-D seems to have certain advantages, including (even) better stealth...  The zoom on the GX doesn't seem all that significant.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184341\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I chose the GX100 over the GRD because the zoom gives more flexibility. The step zoom function allows the camera to be used as though you have a set of primes (24, 28, 35, 50 and 72mm on a 35mm equivalence) and you can shoot 3:2 aspect ratio raw files. If the GRD had a fixed lens in the 35 to 50 equivalence range then I might well have bought that instead, but 28 is just too wide for my every day taste. Interestingly, I have also enjoyed the 24mm setting since buying the camera.

I'm not sure there's much difference in stealth - the body design is basically the same, and I have tended to use mine with an optical viewfinder attachment as well as the screen.

All in all, I think it's a great little camera.

Mike

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:21:44 am »

According to DPReview, the EVF isn't much good. Michael didn't comment on this - so, what's the story ?
--
David Mantripp

sojournerphoto

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:50:06 am »

According to DPReview, the EVF isn't much good. Michael didn't comment on this - so, what's the story ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184406\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought Michael mentioned that he used it - I use clip on optical finders from old rangefinder cameras. They are cheap on ebay and provide a nice solution - or you can buy new voigtlander viewfinders for more (Ricoh also sell one for the GRD which will work with the GX100 at 28mm).

I've attached a couple of snaps with a Helios 35mm finder attached.

Mike

sojournerphoto

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 10:51:28 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184406\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought Michael mentioned that he used it - I use clip on optical finders from old rangefinder cameras. They are cheap on ebay and provide a nice solution - or you can buy new voigtlander viewfinders for more (Ricoh also sell one for the GRD which will work with the GX100 at 28mm).

I've attached a couple of snaps with a Helios 35mm finder attached.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:58:06 am by sojournerphoto »

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:57:51 pm »

Michael showed me the EVF, and I was astonished by its useability.  It is quick and responsive and works well with eyeglasses (it feels totally 'High Eye-Point').  I didn't have a chance to examine it's image-coverage, but if it shows a good approximation of the image-area, I'd say it's a very useful tool.

With a zoom lens, external viewfinders are just useless.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

sojournerphoto

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 05:10:56 pm »

Michael showed me the EVF, and I was astonished by its useability.  It is quick and responsive and works well with eyeglasses (it feels totally 'High Eye-Point').  I didn't have a chance to examine it's image-coverage, but if it shows a good approximation of the image-area, I'd say it's a very useful tool.

With a zoom lens, external viewfinders are just useless.

- N.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=184480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting that the EVF is useful. I use external viewfinders as I tend to use a single focal length for reasonable periods anyway - but maybe I should look for an EVF on ebay...

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up