Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness  (Read 4429 times)

briphoto

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:48:50 pm »

Hello,
I've been trying unsuccessfully to get this paper to print well in my 3800. I'm getting the "mottiling" and "splotchiness" others have seen. I've tried reducing the ink to 90% in the driver and played around with media types to no avail. Is there a workaround for this problem?
Thanks in advance,
Brian
Logged

Ken Bennett

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1797
    • http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:43:42 pm »

Assuming you have all the driver settings right, try using Levels in Photoshop, and bump up the output shadow levels from 0 to anywhere between 8 and 15. I found this helped with both blocked up shadows and a general feeling of being over inked.

Not sure it solves your particular issue, but it's easy enough to try.
Logged
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

briphoto

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:15:13 am »

Quote
Assuming you have all the driver settings right, try using Levels in Photoshop, and bump up the output shadow levels from 0 to anywhere between 8 and 15. I found this helped with both blocked up shadows and a general feeling of being over inked.

Not sure it solves your particular issue, but it's easy enough to try.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183106\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Last night I examined an unprinted sheet. The pattern of splochiness can be seen on the non-printing side and if you hold it up to a light source it becomes more obvious. It almost seems like after the sheet is inked it becomes transluscent and the splochess can now be seen on the printed side. Probably defective paper.
Logged

dealy663

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 56
Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:14:10 am »

My solution was to stop using Epson enhanced matte. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the mottling but was unsuccessful. I now buy Premier Art Matte BW as a substitute. It works fairly well, but dmax was better on enhanced matte.

I have yet to find a perfect replacement for that paper, given looks, feel and cost.

Derek

Quote
Hello,
I've been trying unsuccessfully to get this paper to print well in my 3800. I'm getting the "mottiling" and "splotchiness" others have seen. I've tried reducing the ink to 90% in the driver and played around with media types to no avail. Is there a workaround for this problem?
Thanks in advance,
Brian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183010\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Logged
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

briphoto

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:20:33 am »

Quote
My solution was to stop using Epson enhanced matte. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the mottling but was unsuccessful. I now buy Premier Art Matte BW as a substitute. It works fairly well, but dmax was better on enhanced matte.

I have yet to find a perfect replacement for that paper, given looks, feel and cost.

Derek
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The RedRiver polar matte seems close. I'll have to do more printing on it to see if it's a suitable replacement.
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14435
Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 01:07:35 pm »

Quote
My solution was to stop using Epson enhanced matte. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the mottling but was unsuccessful. I now buy Premier Art Matte BW as a substitute. It works fairly well, but dmax was better on enhanced matte.

I have yet to find a perfect replacement for that paper, given looks, feel and cost.

Derek
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=183230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I also stopped using Epson Enhanced Matte on a 3800...
Logged
Francois

titusbear

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 75
    • http://contemplativeeye.com
Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 02:18:05 pm »

What lot number(s) are involved?

I've just printed through 150 pages of 17 X 22"  Epson Enhanced Matte on a 4880
(C13S041908 -  Lot: 07HI4001M01) - and had no problems at all.

Good paper that produces a fine image at a reasonable price.

 
titusbear
contemplativeeye.com
Logged

madmanchan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2115
    • Web
Epson Enhanced Matte weirdness
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 07:49:51 pm »

It could be that the 4880 doesn't have the issue (or exhibits less of it).
Logged
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up