Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Konica Minolta DSLR  (Read 5018 times)

Paul Sumi

Konica Minolta DSLR
« on: June 28, 2005, 03:53:25 pm »

If you haven't already been there, take a look at DPreview's Konica-Minolta DSLR forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1035

It's an active forum with users who can help answer your questions.

Paul

Willowroot

• http://www.willowroot.ca
Konica Minolta DSLR
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 11:18:39 am »

The Minolta group on yahoo is probably still the best resource.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Minolta
Jason Elias
willowroot.ca

Konica Minolta DSLR
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 02:25:13 pm »

>> My dilemma is:  do I buy the K-M D SLR now or wait?  

Don't wait. The 7D is a great camera.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Violetta

Konica Minolta DSLR
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 09:02:36 am »

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.  I guess my main concern about digital is the 'flatness' of the images.  Film seems to have more depth. The question of satisfactory storage of images is another issue, since I think it is now widely recognized that CD and maybe DVD storage is not as long as first thought, and it will be necessary to keep updating.  I can immediately put my hand on negs. which are over 30 years old!  How easy will it be to do that with digital, I wonder?  However, I guess I will be dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age.  I just wish I knew what K-M were going to bring out in the way of new cameras.  I was told that if I wanted to buy the 7D I should do it after June 30.  What that means, is anyone's guess, but perhaps a drop in price??  I also wonder if any new top end camera will be as well featured or be of the same quality as the current 7D.   ???  :)

Violetta

Konica Minolta DSLR
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 10:45:47 am »

I have been a Minolta user for years and currently have a
Minolta Dynax/Maxum 7 film camera, which I love.  Also have a range of lenses, including a Minolta 70-200mm SSM lens, and a 5600 HS D flash.  I travel a lot and am finding it increasingly difficult (because of security issues) to get my film home without it being exposed to multiple xrays.  I prefer to use the lab of my choice at home, for developing.  Recently I bought a Minolta A200 as an entry level digital camera, which I will take on my next overseas trip.  I understand K-M are bringing out a range of new digital cameras soon, but not at the top end of the range.  My dilemma is:  do I buy the K-M D SLR now or wait?  I wonder about quality issues and features on subsequent top end models due to market positioning.  Currently K-Ms D SLR is quite expensive.  I still love using film, but recognize the inevitability of digital.  Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Violetta

Konica Minolta DSLR
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:37:38 pm »

Thank you PaulS.  I will check it out.

Violetta

Konica Minolta DSLR
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 07:38:37 am »

Thank you Jason.  I will check this too.

kiklop

• www.dyxum.com
Konica Minolta DSLR
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 06:08:20 am »

I have been a Minolta user for years and currently have a
Minolta Dynax/Maxum 7 film camera, which I love.  Also have a range of lenses, including a Minolta 70-200mm SSM lens, and a 5600 HS D flash.  I travel a lot and am finding it increasingly difficult (because of security issues) to get my film home without it being exposed to multiple xrays.  I prefer to use the lab of my choice at home, for developing.  Recently I bought a Minolta A200 as an entry level digital camera, which I will take on my next overseas trip.  I understand K-M are bringing out a range of new digital cameras soon, but not at the top end of the range.  My dilemma is:  do I buy the K-M D SLR now or wait?  I wonder about quality issues and features on subsequent top end models due to market positioning.  Currently K-Ms D SLR is quite expensive.  I still love using film, but recognize the inevitability of digital.  Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
Well, that 70-200 SSM lens is pretty rare and hard to find (even new). You are one lucky person
I'm an old Minolta user myself but I have migrated to digital a few years ago. I have worked with Olympus e-20, canon 10D and 300D, Minolta A2 and now I finally have KM 7D.
This is most likely a very subjective statement, but 7D is one fantastic tool. Little has changed from my film dynax 7 and IMHO 7D is the best way to migrate from film to digital. I love my photographic equipment but 7D is a special case. I was afraid that KM will not be able to produce one reliable and competitive camera but 7D is far above my expectation.
The main downside is the fact that 7D is underrated by most popular websites (even Michael has not found worth finishing 7D review with a final production sample) and unfortunately that's the way people has starting to judge cameras.
I'm not sure about your doubts, but if you have any question, just ask it.

Happy shooting
Mladen Sever
d

kiklop

• www.dyxum.com
Konica Minolta DSLR
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 09:59:24 am »

Well, I will not start so often discussed subject like film vs digital, since I personally never found worth it. Just a few general comments about digital photography.
With digital, we have a whole new word of processing capabilities. Something that we never had before. Some may find this as an artificial touch to "real" capture, but I believe this is just an extension of our photographic vision. With digital you will need to learn some basic (or advanced) digital darkroom skills that may leave you with results far above those you have managed to get with film.
But (and this is where 7D shines again), if you don't like the idea of spending more time in front of computer screen, manufacturers keep develop very usable outputs from modern digital cameras. And let me say this, 7D is among the best when colors and tonality matters in jpg files. It's evident that KM has spent a lot of resources and knowledge (by both Minolta and Konica) in jpg output. I'm a raw shooter myself, but I have seen stunning jpg files right from the camera. Sincerely, I doubt you will be disappointed in this regard.
Since you have mentioned flatness, i will keep this chance and say, that IMHO with digital cameras "our" vision has changed a lot.  I may be wrong, but my impression is that now, like never before people are prone to using tele range most often (and those crop factors have their influence on this too) which can leave an impression of flatness in general.
Further on, we have chance to see incomparable increase of images (and photographers) which naturally leads to HUGE amount of (sub)average results over the net.
The only "problematic" issue in digital IMHO is the linear capturing mode of digital sensors. Because of that, highlights are very sensitive to be burn out and dynamic range is something that needs to be improved.
As for myself, I don't find digital cameras to be inferior to film ones when quality is concerned. Just the opposite, but this is of course only a personal statement based on personal experiences and taste.

Last few years we had the chance to see some powerful software solutions for image management. I personally use imatch software, which gives me a great flexibility of managing my images. I store my images on (two copies) DVD discs which I tend to replace every year or so. I feel very secure in this regard despite some panic and pessimistic predictions that can be found over the net.

As KM is concerned, they will keep introducing new DSLR cameras. We can't expect the same popularity as Canon currently have but that does not mean that KM is unable to produce great cameras.
Next week (11 or 15 July), we will most probably see an announcement of the new DSLR (5D) as one low end product with: 6MP, AS, and some reduced functionality when compared to 7D is what we will see most probably.
There has been a lot of rumours (some of them are quite realistic) that next year (in the second half) we shall see two new DSLR bodies. One for those whose demand are above 7D capabilities and most probably  one that can be the replacement for 7D.
With a fantastic AS capability and unsurpassed ergonomic KM will produce quite competitive cameras. Maybe those will not be the best choices for most users, but for those who appreciate various aspect of KM engineering those will be a great tools. (if you missed, you can read the last  SMP column on LL website, where you can find another new KM fan in the person of Mike Johnston.)

Happy shooting
Mladen Sever
d
Pages: [1]   Go Up