Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proofing paper  (Read 2977 times)

NigelC

Proofing paper
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:50:41 pm »

I have just acquired an Epson 3800 and am looking forward to going through the large number of sample/test packs of baryata and fine art papers I have hoovered up for free or special offer over the last couple of years. I would aim to standardise on maybe 2 or 3 papers.

However, these are all quite expensive. I have another need, for inexpensive  glossy/semi gloss and a matt papet for proofing, where these are not for sale or exhibition. Preference is for an Epson paper with a prile already in the 3800 or a paper with a free profile avalable. Epson Archival Matt may fit the bill for on the one hand, but what about Ilford Smooth Glossy/Pearl for the other surface - it's about the cheapest photo paper available in the UK? I also have an unopened box of Permajet Instant Dry Glosssy which I will try.

mmurph

• http://
Proofing paper
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:16:39 pm »

My two standards proofing papers are Epson Enhanced Matte for that end, and Epson Premium Semi-matte for the photo paper.

The semi-matte is only available in rolls though. So Epson Premium Luster is the best choice for the 3800.  A very good quality paper, kind of the benchmark for every other paper. It even holds up well when compared to the newer bartya's.

Yes, there are cheaper versions, as you mentioned. Never used them though.  I have used a lot of other premium papers, but just stick to my standards for 85% of work.

Best,
Michael

Bill Koenig

Proofing paper
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:11:06 pm »

Yes, I totally agree, Epson Premium Luster is a third the cost of some of these new and very expensive papers, and on the 3800, has very good blacks.
Bill Koenig,

Roy

• http://
Proofing paper
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 04:51:11 pm »

Also consider Epson Premium Semigloss Photo Paper which is available in sheets. I like it better than Epson Premium Luster as it has slightly less surface texture, and use Semigloss on an Epson 4800 when I want a quick 8.5 x 11 print.
Roy

NigelC

Proofing paper
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 05:17:41 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. The range of Epson branded papers available in UK is less than in US, I think. Epson Premium Luster is only availabel in rolls and I've never seen Premium Semi-matt; Premium Semi-gloss is available but not sure if that is the same thing. Think Enhanced matt only available in mega quantities - Archival matt seems more common.

davesc

Proofing paper
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:47:18 am »

In fact, Epson Premium Luster is available in A2 sheets, at a very reasonable price - direct from Epson UK

http://www.buyepson.co.uk/Catalog/productd...20Photo%20Paper

Cheers

dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up