Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hope this is for real--new 5D  (Read 26373 times)

jashley

Hope this is for real--new 5D
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:35:20 am »

Satch

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:05:28 pm »

Sounds just about perfect:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=27125455
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I buy it, and I'll buy it.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:43:41 pm »

Hmmm... what's left for the 1 series then?  Makes the value proposition for the 1DS3 pretty weak.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:25:01 pm »

No way.

This gives it away.

- Weather sealing same as 1Ds Mark III

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:37:04 pm »

So it has 4x the ISO range of the 1Ds Mark III, the same weather sealing, and 3x the pixels on the display on the back?

I ain't buying it.  Someone is cherry picking specifications here.

Satch

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 01:40:32 pm »

No way.

This gives it away.

- Weather sealing same as 1Ds Mark III
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the one thing that at first did seem a little suspect, and yet, if Canon wants it to be a D3-killer (and why not?) it makes sense.  Personally I think it would be a brilliant call--they'll still get the people who would have bought a 1Ds III and they'll get a lot of people who might have bought a D3.  And they'll get people who'll buy BOTH.

Plus, they're going to sell so many more multiples of a new 5D over the 1Ds III (just like with the current 5D over the Mk II) ) they may not "care".

Ray

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 09:28:10 pm »

Seems like the sort of camera Canon will have to deliver if it want's to take the lead back from Nikon. The 1Ds3 would still have the advantage of greater pixel count and 15.3mp is still slightly fewer than the 1Ds2.

An increase from the current 12.8mp of the 5D to 15.3mp is in line with the recent increases in Canon's cropped format; ie. 6mp to 8mp, 8mp to 10mp, 10mp to 12mp (450D). Such increases are not significant, but it's the other features that make the camera desirable.

I'd buy such a camera in a jiffy   .

grepmat

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 01:58:05 am »

"micro lens fine adjustment for up to 14 lenses"

This gives it away as fake for me. Microlenses are patterned on the surface of the sensor chip and cannot be adjusted. Besides, it's microlenses, plural, not micro lens (minor point, but I notice these things).

Cheers.

NikosR

• http://
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:24:46 am »

"micro lens fine adjustment for up to 14 lenses"

This gives it away as fake for me. Microlenses are patterned on the surface of the sensor chip and cannot be adjusted. Besides, it's microlenses, plural, not micro lens (minor point, but I notice these things).

Cheers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180760\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suppose he talks about autofocus micro adjustment.
Nikos

shelby_lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:18:29 am »

I suppose he talks about autofocus micro adjustment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180767\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yep... it would be read as "micro" lens-fine-adjustment... as in fine adjustment, in micro steps, of particular lenses.

RobertJ

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:28:09 pm »

Hmmm... what's left for the 1 series then?  Makes the value proposition for the 1DS3 pretty weak.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Like the 5D made the 1Ds2 seem like a waste?  Or what about the new Canon Rebel with 12MP after the release of the 10MP 40D?  Canon does not care if cheaper bodies have competitive specs against their own flagship cameras.  Pros know what they want.  There is still a big difference between a 1Ds3 and this "new" 5D.

Ray

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 08:47:54 pm »

Like the 5D made the 1Ds2 seem like a waste?  Or what about the new Canon Rebel with 12MP after the release of the 10MP 40D?  Canon does not care if cheaper bodies have competitive specs against their own flagship cameras.  Pros know what they want.  There is still a big difference between a 1Ds3 and this "new" 5D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If and when this 5D upgrade is released, we'll be able to have long disputes about the real benefits of the 1Ds3. It'll be a field day for pixel peepers who'll no doubt have the opportunity to scrutinise crops of 400% enlargements and claim there's hardly any difference between the two cameras  .

Such publicity is good for Canon. We should not forget that there can be no better advertisement for a camera than claims it is virtually as good as another camera costing over double the price.

I remember well the disputes over the differences between the 5D and the 1Ds2.

bob mccarthy

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 09:01:50 pm »

Not that I have a dog in the hunt, some of the dpreview regulars are questioning the OP's cred.

One speculated it was a teen looking for attention.

Guess you'll know on the 22nd.

bob

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 10:08:34 pm »

Like the 5D made the 1Ds2 seem like a waste?  Or what about the new Canon Rebel with 12MP after the release of the 10MP 40D?  Canon does not care if cheaper bodies have competitive specs against their own flagship cameras.  Pros know what they want.  There is still a big difference between a 1Ds3 and this "new" 5D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right. There is more to a 1D series camera than the number of pixels.

Some stuff is obvious -- robust build, high capacity battery, vertical grip. Others are not so obvious. Take the very minor example of audio tagging of files. On the 1-D and 1-Ds series, I can hold down one button and talk into the back of the camera, recording names and locations for me or my editors to use in captions. This is a crucial part of our workflow, and one reason why a 40D or a 5D won't work. (Though they are otherwise decent cameras, and I own a 40D for personal use.)

It's not something most people need, but when you need it, you need it.

That 12-megapixel Rebel would last me about a week before I managed to smash it to pieces, BTW.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 09:10:13 am »

Still happy with my 1DS3 and the new 5D is hardly comparable, they still feel like toys.

Satch

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 09:35:39 am »

Not that I have a dog in the hunt, some of the dpreview regulars are questioning the OP's cred.

One speculated it was a teen looking for attention.

Guess you'll know on the 22nd.

bob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180999\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's little doubt in my mind that the original post was not well-sourced.  But I still "believe" it--Canon will bring out a 5D replacement before Photokina, and the specs will be very close to those listed.  This seems almost certain to me if it's true that the 5D has been OOP since November.    

I also agree though that the main distinguishing factor other than MP count will still be pro-level durability for both body and shutter.  WS may be upgraded but won't match 1 series.

bob mccarthy

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 10:45:23 am »

There's little doubt in my mind that the original post was not well-sourced.  But I still "believe" it--Canon will bring out a 5D replacement before Photokina, and the specs will be very close to those listed.  This seems almost certain to me if it's true that the 5D has been OOP since November.   

I also agree though that the main distinguishing factor other than MP count will still be pro-level durability for both body and shutter.  WS may be upgraded but won't match 1 series.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wasn't trying to rain on anyones parade. I've occasionally stop in at dpreview to see what the rabble are up to and to catch on the latest "hot rumor" going around. My experience is: that most aren't factual, though they are presented as such. People have unfortunately made financial decisions on the rumors that in the majority of cases just aren't true.

Most are based on some fact, right time in the cycle for a camera to be replaced, etc.

The majors just don't leak info out early to avoid shutting down sales in the field until actual delivery of the product.

Bob

sojournerphoto

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 10:53:49 am »

There's little doubt in my mind that the original post was not well-sourced.  But I still "believe" it--Canon will bring out a 5D replacement before Photokina, and the specs will be very close to those listed.  This seems almost certain to me if it's true that the 5D has been OOP since November.   

I also agree though that the main distinguishing factor other than MP count will still be pro-level durability for both body and shutter.  WS may be upgraded but won't match 1 series.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mmmm, here we all are speculating again:) I'm sure that everything will become clear, but really it seems unlikely that canon would release acamera that is better or equal in all respects than the flagship at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. Apart from anything else, there is a cost issue and the next 'budget' full frame (whatever it's called) will need to meet those constrainsts.

A separate issue is whether Canon will feel the need to replace the 1D3 this year with an 'n' version or a completely new version. If Canon inc considers that it needs full frame to compete with the Nikon D3 (which is really a 1D3 competitor not a 5D competitor) then there may be a new FF 15ish Mp sensor that could be used in both... 6 fps in a budget camera and 12 in a sportshooter?

Similarly, the market is improving the specs of slr's at all levels and so the '5D2' will be no exception, particularly as it sits 'above' the APS-C segment - it's really just a question of the economics  and how far Canon, nikon et al are will ing to go towards making the pro camera's redundant...

Since I got my Ds3 I've been really pleased with it, and find it handles much better and more intuitively than my 5D, which I already thought was great. In comparison to the past we are very well served these days. Now to go and make some pictures!

Mike

stanney2001

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 08:16:02 pm »

as im waiting for an upgrade to the 5d i read these rumors and always want to believe them although hope often sucumbs to the law of diminishing returns. something about this post hits me as  authentic, possibly a canon authorised post. i.e. they get someone to post to generate a buzz. the specs are pretty aggressive and obviously nod to the D3 in its noise features. im inclined to believe it because canon must have been watching the buzz around the D3 and the numbers who are wiling to jump ship if they havnt already. looking at their own product line and seeing that there was nothing there to compete. Prehaps they have decided to pull the launch date forward instead of photokina to stem the tide. some of my thoughts anyway

andrew stanney

Ray

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:58 pm »

Since I got my Ds3 I've been really pleased with it, and find it handles much better and more intuitively than my 5D, which I already thought was great. In comparison to the past we are very well served these days. Now to go and make some pictures!

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey! You've got both a 5D and D3? You are just the right candidate to compare noise levels at high ISO. I was frustrated a while back, when in Bangkok, because I could only get my hands on a demo D3 in the Nikon store. They wouldn't let me borrow it. However, my rather hasty test shots of a dark corner in the store, using both the  D3 and my 5D in RAW mode, indicated the actual D3 noise advantage was in the order of 1/3 to 2/3rds of a stop at most. Of course, there are lots of other upgraded features of the D3, but I find it curious that there are so few D3/5D comparisons, that is, proper and thorough comparisons that don't cop out by declaring, "the 5D is not capable of ISO 25,600 so we didn't compare cameras at these ISO's".

Ken Rockwell's is one of the few comparisons I came across during an internet search, but he shoots jpeg. He claims the D3 is now king of the castle in the noise department, but interestingly his 5D jpegs, after chroma-only noise reduction, looked just as good as the D3 jpegs, when I tried Noise Ninja. However, the D3 jpegs lost considerable resolution after applying the same degree of chroma noise reduction.

Can we say that the D3 is on honeymoon with regard to the critics, just as our new labour Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd?  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up