Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defaults specific to ISO Question  (Read 1381 times)

chrislaurence

Defaults specific to ISO Question
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:02:05 am »

This may be slightly off topic if it's a Nikon issue but chances are one would run into this problem only if using Lightroom's “Make defaults specific to camera ISO setting” preference, so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light.

I use this preference, and had set Camera Raw/Lightroom defaults for every possible ISO speed (or so I thought) at 1/3 stop increments.  Yesterday I imported an image which didn’t seem to have "taken" a default.  Examining the EXIF data showed an ISO of 450, which resulted from using “Auto ISO” on my Nikon D3.  

I’d assumed that the Auto ISO settings went in 1/3 stops, e.g. as on page 109 of the D3 manual.  After some Googling, I've learned that Auto ISO is working in 1/6 stop increments (despite displaying "1/3 stop" ISO's in the viewfinder).

My real problem is this:  I like using the ISO-specific defaults, for noise reduction.  In order to set a default for a particular ISO, I need an image at that ISO.  Do I really need to shoot one “by accident,” using Auto ISO, or:

1.  Is there a way, other than Auto ISO, to set the ISO in 1/6 stop increments (for this purpose of generating default settings only – that’s the last thing I need generally).

2.  Better yet, is there a way to tell the camera NOT to use 1/6 stop increments for Auto ISO?

I'll ask Nikon too and post here if I learn anything.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:02:26 am by chrislaurence »
Pages: [1]   Go Up