Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panoramic formats comparison on the web???  (Read 2660 times)

heinrichvoelkel

Panoramic formats comparison on the web???
« on: March 10, 2008, 06:24:46 am »

Hello,

for an upcoming project I want to shoot panoramic images...but I cant decide on the format...

Is there any comparison of the various panoramic formats on the web...with different lenses...and please let it better be visual...as numbers, like angle of coverage dont really help me...

Google didn't bring much up so far.....

Thanks in advance,

Heinrich

01af

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:41:27 am »

For an upcoming project I want to shoot panoramic images ... but I can't decide on the format.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The format of what?

Is there any comparison of the various panoramic formats on the web ... with different lenses?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't really understand ... the format of a panorama as well as the lens is chosen to suit the subject. There are almost as many panoramic formats as panoramas. What insight is a "comparison of the various panoramic formats" supposed to bring?

-- Olaf

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:09:55 am »

The format of what?
I don't really understand ... the format of a panorama as well as the lens is chosen to suit the subject. There are almost as many panoramic formats as panoramas. What insight is a "comparison of the various panoramic formats" supposed to bring?

-- Olaf
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180413\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear Olaf, thank you for your thoughtful comment.

I try to decide between 6x12 or 6x17. And I would like to see the difference if a scene is shot with a 35mm or 55mm lens on a 612 in comparison to the same scene shot with a 72XL  or 105mm lens on a 617.

I will be able to carry only one lens or two. So I have to get everything done with a certain combination of lenses or even with just the right choice of one lens....

So, can anybody help?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:10:49 am by heinrichvoelkel »

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:38:59 am »

Here is a list of analogue cameras currently in production:
http://www.panoramicassociation.org/cameras.php

Or have a look at the section Equiment on the page:
http://ivrpa.org/vr/links

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:57:34 am »

Go with the 612 format. The linhof has a pressure plate that adjusts for 120/220 film. The horseman does not.

I had a horseman 612 with a 55mm grandagon lens which I recently sold, it was an awesome camera, very light and small with excellent optics, but the lack of 120/220 switching was the only shortcoming.
some examples are here. http://www.stoqq.com/lightboxes/panoramics

-N

Hello,

for an upcoming project I want to shoot panoramic images...but I cant decide on the format...
Is there any comparison of the various panoramic formats on the web...with different lenses...and please let it better be visual...as numbers, like angle of coverage dont really help me...

Google didn't bring much up so far.....

Thanks in advance,

Heinrich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

01af

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:10:38 pm »

I try to decide between 6 × 12 or 6 × 17.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180416\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ah. So you are contemplating the purchase of a dedicated medium-format panorama camera with a fixed wide-angle lens (as opposed to a rotating lens or to stitching frames taken with a regular camera).

And I would like to see the difference if a scene is shot with a 35 mm or 55 mm lens on a 6 × 12 in comparison to the same scene shot with a 72XL  or 105 mm lens on a 6 × 17.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180416\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well ... the most obvious difference between 6 × 12 and 6 × 17 is the frame's aspect ratio: 2:1 in the former and 3:1 in the latter. With 55 mm lens on 6 × 12, you'll get the same horizontal field of view as with an 18 mm lens on a 35-mm camera, or a 12 mm lens a APS-C camera. If you have one of those, simply crop the 35-mm or APS-C frame vertically to a 2:1 aspect ratio, and you'll see what to expect from a 55 mm lens on a 6 × 12 camera (without the superior resolution/image quality, of course).

With a 72 mm lens on a 6 × 17, you'll get the same (with a grain of salt) horizontal field of view as with 55 mm on 6 × 12 but less vertical field of view, according to the more extreme aspect ratio.

A 35 mm lens on 6 × 12 will yield the same horizontal field of view as a 12 mm lens on 35-mm format or an 8 mm lens on APS-C format (8 mm super-wide for APS-C doesn't exist; the shortest available currently is 10 mm---shorter lenses than that are fish-eye, not super-wide-angle).

A 105 mm lens on 6 × 17 will yield the same horizontal field of view as a 22.5 mm lens on 35-mm format or a 14 mm lens on APS-C format.

So to get a picture (pun intended) of what to expect from the medium-format 6 × 12 cm and 6 × 17 cm panorama cameras, get a 35-mm or APS-C format SLR or D-SLR camera and a super-wide-angle lens, shoot a few frames, and crop them vertically to 2:1 and 3:1.

-- Olaf

peterpix2008

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:53:43 am »

Most  panoramic photographers  want a 3-1 one ratio (617), not 2-1 (612). Of course you can always  crop, but in my experience, being restricted to the format you want helps with composition.  I think the 72mm lens for the 617 is too wide. I've used the 90 with some success, but even longer also makes interesting composition.  I like the 90mm on my Xpan but wish they had made something a bit longer. I  also have the 30mm  but rarely use that.

Peter Randall
petererandall.com
[span style='color:blue']Peter Randall[/span]

petererandall.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up