Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost original images in Library  (Read 3211 times)

creativepro

Lost original images in Library
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:59:46 am »

I have a mac computer - shoot in Raw

I have one photo on which I used some downloaded pre-sets to obtain a wonderful black and white portrait plus extra tweaks . The other was a colour photo that the pre-set changed to something that was horridous

1. Photo 1.   Unfortunately in my ignorance I managed to change it back to the colour. Don't ask! According to the reviews Lightroom is non -destructive. So where is my black and white image? It is definitely not observable in the library of Lightroom.

2. Photo 2.   Again due to my lack of know how, managed to once again loose the original photo after using a downloaded preset as a try out. The before and after soon become the after - such a schmozzle. The original in the library seems to have disappeared as well.

Be grateful for any assistance for a new-be to Lightroom.

thank you

Sue

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:38:22 am »

Take a look at the History panel in the Develop Module.

creativepro

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 03:54:34 pm »

Unfortunately the History panel steps are no longer available.

Have you any ideas?

Sue

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:06:35 pm »

Photo 1. Lightroom is non-destructive of your original RAW image - not the B & W "version" you created. Sounds like you undid the "changes" to the RAW image but it should still be there.

Photo 2. Sounds like you deleted it - do you import your files to reside in the Library (suggest you don't) or reference the files in a different location? (Suggest you do - it's a two-step process to delete the file from your hard drive then.)

Bill

I have a mac computer - shoot in Raw

I have one photo on which I used some downloaded pre-sets to obtain a wonderful black and white portrait plus extra tweaks . The other was a colour photo that the pre-set changed to something that was horridous

1. Photo 1.   Unfortunately in my ignorance I managed to change it back to the colour. Don't ask! According to the reviews Lightroom is non -destructive. So where is my black and white image? It is definitely not observable in the library of Lightroom.

2. Photo 2.   Again due to my lack of know how, managed to once again loose the original photo after using a downloaded preset as a try out. The before and after soon become the after - such a schmozzle. The original in the library seems to have disappeared as well.

Be grateful for any assistance for a new-be to Lightroom.

thank you

Sue
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

creativepro

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 04:37:54 am »

Thanks - In future I will import onto my desktop and copy them to a folder and then import the originals into Lightroom.   Only concern is that because my photos are shot in raw they will take so much extra space on the computer

regards

Sue

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 09:02:36 pm »

Thanks - In future I will import onto my desktop and copy them to a folder and then import the originals into Lightroom.   Only concern is that because my photos are shot in raw they will take so much extra space on the computer

regards
Sue
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179239\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I may not have been clear - you don't really want to import the originals to LR - you want LR to "import photos at their current location" - which means LR refers to the original files there, but only creates thumbnails in LR. This uses no more space on your hard drive than actually having the pix in LR.

The language is a bit confusing - "import" in this case really means "refer to" rather than physically move the actual RAW file to LR.

Hope this helps...
Bill

francois

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:38:40 am »

I may not have been clear - you don't really want to import the originals to LR - you want LR to "import photos at their current location" - which means LR refers to the original files there, but only creates thumbnails in LR. This uses no more space on your hard drive than actually having the pix in LR.

The language is a bit confusing - "import" in this case really means "refer to" rather than physically move the actual RAW file to LR.

Hope this helps...
Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To avoid any confusion, if using "import photos at their current location" then photos must already be on the hard drive. While this may seem obvious to most users here, I've seen a novice trying to import at their current location from a memory card!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 05:39:25 am by francois »
Francois

James R

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:04:01 am »

Thanks - In future I will import onto my desktop and copy them to a folder and then import the originals into Lightroom.   Only concern is that because my photos are shot in raw they will take so much extra space on the computer

regards
Sue
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179239\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Captures take up space.  I would look into getting external HDs that are dedicated to your photos.

At least one should be a backup of processed pics and another should contain duplicates of your untouched raw files.

You should keyword your files at import.  This makes it easier to find files.

If you remember the lens used, you can search for all pics shot with a specific lens.

I would get the LR video from LL.  It will help you understand LR better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up